• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bend Studios was planning to work on Uncharted/Days Gone 2

Draugoth

Gold Member
Although Days Gone wasn't a commercial failure, the initial reception from critics and gamers meant that the franchise didn't go ahead. The studio has already announced that it is working on a new IP, but in the past it has almost worked on a sequel to Days Gone or another famous Sony franchise.

In the recent leak from Insomniac Games, a document dated 2020 presented two possible projects that Bend was working on. One was Days Gone 2, while the other was a new Uncharted.

With Naughty Dog having already left Uncharted behind, it seems that the option of Bend Studio taking over the franchise has been considered internally. This wouldn't be the first time the studio has worked with the IP, having previously developed Uncharted: Golden Abyss for PS Vita.

Vya4t7S.png

According to the leaked spreadsheet, Uncharted would be a much bigger project than Days Gone 2, with the studio planning a much bigger budget and hiring almost triple the number of employees needed for a possible new Days Gone.

Source

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Something tells me Naughty Dog wouldn't have been happy letting another studio make a flagship game in their franchise (Not talking about a portable spin off like the one for Vita).

TloU Part 1 remastered was also originally being made by a different studio before ND took it over, IIRC.

bitbydeath

This now makes those rumours clearer when Jason said they were working on an ND game and Bend said they were working on Days Gone 2.

It was both!

Something tells me Naughty Dog wouldn't have been happy letting another studio make a flagship game in their franchise (Not talking about a portable spin off like the one for Vita).

TloU Part 1 remastered was also originally being made by a different studio before ND took it over, IIRC.

That was Visual Arts.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I'm just gonna say it :

Days Gone is THE best Sony open world game.
It's even better than Ghost of Tsushima which was heralded as the 2nd coming of Sony open world games and most definitely better than the Uber padded, bloated Horizon Forbidden west tripe in that it's actually fun to play and its world/map isn't littered with 10085858482882 gobshite icons/collectibles/points of interest, fuxk that shit.

Also, THAT ending really pays off...

On PS5, patched, it's easily an 7.5 - 8/10.

Goddamn is Sony tone-deaf most of the times...it's gonna be God of war and spiderman games til the end of times dammit...

Last edited:

Hugare

They had to take over Part I 'cause Visual Arts wasnt up to the task. So that's why they picked up the pieces and finished it.

Nothing to do with ego

simpatico

I really hope they don’t change the tone and color of writing in Days Gone. I expect that they will absolutely butcher it since it’s what most of the blue hair reviewers didn’t like about it, but it made for a rare AAA game that didn’t have vomit worthy characters. Love that game. Shits on TLOU from great heights.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Jason already covered this. the days gone 2 pitch was rejected and they hired a bunch of hollywood writers to make an uncharted spinoff. but after a year of interferring from Naughty Dog unable to get anything done, they asked sony to let them make a new IP and told ND to go fuck themselves.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Day's Gone had its ratings skewed by the poor practice of critics. Dumping an IP that has sold well and has a strong core following because reviewers can't give a game enough time to unfold is ridiculous. I hope that they get to go back to it at a later point. It had its flaws but there was a foundation for a strong franchise going forward; both for the audience and from a business perspective.

still dont understand whats up with people obsessing with days gone? its not good.
Something I don't understand either. I can't tell you the last time I disliked a AAA game by sony NOT named days gone. Literally every aspect of it was terrible and super generic to me.

bitbydeath

Jason already covered this. the days gone 2 pitch was rejected and they hired a bunch of hollywood writers to make an uncharted spinoff. but after a year of interferring from Naughty Dog unable to get anything done, they asked sony to let them make a new IP and told ND to go fuck themselves.
Bend debunked that rumour.
This leak shows what happened, they either started working/are still working on both.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm going to assume there's no UC5 because ND studios isnt big enough to handle it with LOU games and Sony/ND doesn't want to allow any other studio to do it.

UC4 sold a shit ton of copies (I think 15M comes to mind but I might be wrong). That kind of sales amount should definitely be enough to greenlight a full sequel (beyond a Lost Legacy kind of spin off), but no UC5 in sight. Unless they got it in production and will surprise gamers with it, it's a dormant franchise now.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm going to assume there's no UC5 because ND studios isnt big enough to handle it with LOU games and Sony/ND doesn't want to allow any other studio to do it.

UC4 sold a shit ton of copies (I think 15M comes to mind but I might be wrong). That kind of sales amount should definitely be enough to greenlight a full sequel (beyond a Lost Legacy kind of spin off), but no UC5 in sight. Unless they got it in production and will surprise gamers with it, it's a dormant franchise now.
the series is done and they need to move on from it. it sold that much because it was supposed to be the end of the franchise just Halo 3 with Finish the Fight. if they continue it, they will slip into irrelevance sooner rather than later.

I don't think the Uncharted games can be greatly expanded upon from a gameplay or story perspective. And I'm not sure how well a 3rd person, mostly linear, with very lite RPG elements would sell in 2023 and beyond

Ozzie666

Uncharted Golden Abyss remake or remaster would make a lot of sense, since not many have experienced it. Hard to believe Bend could work on 2 big titles though since they took forever with Days gone.

bitbydeath

when did they do that? literally a month after his article, they announced they were working on a new IP.
During videos with David Jaffe.
This backs up what they said too. Jason didn’t think Days Gone 2 had anything done and they were just working on a Naughty Dog game.

Raven117

I really hope they don’t change the tone and color of writing in Days Gone. I expect that they will absolutely butcher it since it’s what most of the blue hair reviewers didn’t like about it, but it made for a rare AAA game that didn’t have vomit worthy characters. Love that game. Shits on TLOU from great heights.
i agree. The characters were imperfect and complex in a very real way. Best part of the game for me.

Last edited:

Dazraell

This is interesting. We had rumors that next Uncharted is in development for a while and that it was developed by a different developer than Naughty Dog. Most recently we've also seen the reports implying that Naughty Dog might be collaborating with Bend on an unnanounced project

Days Gone was a good game, extremely fun. Critics and social media once again talk to much and ruin a good thing. Some got their panties in a bunch because of the "Promise to ride me as much as you ride your bike" quote. Stupid Greg Miller. There wasn't any additional context.

Don’t tell me that was another controversy like “bros before ho’s” was in god of war.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
still dont understand whats up with people obsessing with days gone? its not good.
For me it was the world, they really nailed a fantastic open world setting with a brilliant traversal mechanic... That bike, it felt great to ride, handled spot on then you have the world itself, was full of life and little details throughout and each of the zones was just jam packed with so much post apocalyptic stuff that it all felt real and to a ND TLOU level of polish, then you had the hordes, those where fun as hell and in the first stages of the game truly terrifying to come across when out exploring, I dunno man for me personally the game just clicked, I was interested in Deacon's story and to see it unfold and the day to day game mechanic was just solid... The fact that it sold so many and didn't get a DLC or Sequel to build on and refine is real kick in the teeth for the fans

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Can't blame critics for the messy shape the game launched in. While it improved over time, the vast majority of outlets aren't going back to any game six months after it launched.
A lot of the journos also hated playing as a white male heterosexual biker. Can't change that with patches. ;)

hinch7

A mainline Uncharted without Naughtydog at the helm would feel a bit wrong. Ngl.. But at the same time, I'd take a new Uncharted over nothing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom