• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your honest opinion of the Sonic Rush soundtrack

Koshiro

Too samey and I'd swap around a few levels' music, as some would suit others better, but it's still Naganuma kicking arse as only he can.

I really like it. Shits on the Sonic Adventure soundtracks... except for maybe Escape from the City. That was catchy :p

The bonus stage music is probably my favourite. Although the levels I play most are the warship levels and the space ones..

Its a shame they didn't do more. Playing as Blaze gives you a variation of the tunes... whole new tunes would have been even better, but its cool I guess.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
ivysaur12 said:
They're really good, especially the special stages.

Now only if they weren't so fucking hard...

Hrm? The only hard special stage is the last one.

I heard the Sonic Rush soundtrack on CD before I played the DS game, so I was disappointed by the quality of the DS tunes. But as for the actual soundtrack, yeah that stuff is ace.

ivysaur12

Banned
SnowWolf said:

I heard the Sonic Rush soundtrack on CD before I played the DS game, so I was disappointed by the quality of the DS tunes. But as for the actual soundtrack, yeah that stuff is ace.

That's the one I'm stuck at.

I was initially playing special stages with the stylus glued to the screen at all times. Its much faster to just leave him running and tap when and where you want him to move to, jump or attack.

That said, the random placements of those bomb/spike type things in the last special stage is infuriating.

Yeah, I spent a while trying and trying to beat the last special stage normally, then tried the pause cheating method, and that STILL took some practice and planning. The difficulty jump between the sixth and seventh special stage was just too much, and one of the game's few stumbles.

It's a great soundtrack. Like Shuffle, it tried a different style, and I think it worked really well. Maybe that's what the DS Sonic game should stick with, and have the console Sonics switch to a mix of the original jazzy stuff and some of the more recent rock.

Harmonica

Just seemed like unremarkable music to further drench Sonic in his ridiculous 'Tude.

I severely miss the days of Sonic music that actually gave the game a personality that could hold its own against the likes of Mario and Zelda. No longer though. Just a hedgehog that trashtalks and drinks mountain dew and smokes pot with Knuckles while listening to the rap song from "Punkin Hill".

I really hope I see the day when Sega releases a new Sonic Game where he doesn't do stupid shit like air-surf on rocket shells or get a hot new pair of grind shoes.

/bitter :( :(

Xiaoki

It's great but it doesn't really fit with Sonic.

If you like it get the sound track on CD, the quality is much better than DS.

belgurdo

Banned
Harmonica said:
Just seemed like unremarkable music to further drench Sonic in his ridiculous 'Tude.

I severely miss the days of Sonic music that actually gave the game a personality that could hold its own against the likes of Mario and Zelda. No longer though. Just a hedgehog that trashtalks and drinks mountain dew and smokes pot with Knuckles while listening to the rap song from "Punkin Hill".

I really hope I see the day when Sega releases a new Sonic Game where he doesn't do stupid shit like air-surf on rocket shells or get a hot new pair of grind shoes.

/bitter :( :(

lol Sonic has always been about "'Tude." He's the epitome of a character "created by committee"

Yeah, Sonic was always about the attitude you're talking about. That was his character's "schtick" from the beginning.

That said, Sonic Rush's OST's fantastic. Makes me want a proper JSR sequel.

Sanjuro

Sonic as a character is fine. Even with him grinding rails and such if it maintains his fast speed. The problem with the Hedgehog franchise is other characters. Tails and Knuckles are fine, but I'm at the point where I want nothing to do with them as well and just my blue dude by his lonesome.

Yeah I'm talking about you fat cat who fishes, robot with lock-on, bitch with mallet, bat who finds shit, and the entire game of Sonic Heroes.

Idioteque said:
The game sucks, but the soundtrack is good though.

wtf no. Best Sonic game since Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Easily.

Awesome soundtrack too. Only great Sonic soundtracks since S3&K are Sonic Rush and Sonic Adventure 2.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Yeah, the music was a definite improvement over the buttrock laden Sonic Adventure games, although Knuckles' space zone level music has to be the first time I've ever heard UK garage in a game, so it gets a few points for that. But still... the old Sonic games had such amazing music, and none of the music on Rush really stands out or could hold a candle to stuff like the Aquatic Ruin zone from Sonic 2 or the Ice Cap zone in 3.

And the game is great, too - definitely the best sonic since Knuckles. Didn't really have much of a problem with cheap deaths, aside from the 6th zone, which was all trial and error. The end boss is like impossible tho :p

Luckett_X

Banned
I liked it more than the soft-rock trash of console Sonic games, but quite a few tracks grated on my nerves a bit. It certainly wasn't Naganuma at his best (i dare say he was probably rushed (lol) to make it), and its still not better than the Mega Drive Sonic tunes of legend.

I'd love to see a Nagnuma remixed, 2.5d remake of Sonic 1 on the PSP.

Harmonica

belgurdo said:
lol Sonic has always been about "'Tude." He's the epitome of a character "created by committee"

That's definitely true, though I used to find his 'Tude a lot less developed and much more open to interpretation. Ever seen that old japanese commercial for either Sonic 1 or 2, where he's in a parade and jumps around in stop-motion, then flicks his nose...

That's a bizarre "tude" that I'm completely ok with.

I <3 Katamari said:
wtf no. Best Sonic game since Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Easily.

Awesome soundtrack too. Only great Sonic soundtracks since S3&K are Sonic Rush and Sonic Adventure 2.
Speak for yourself. I really felt, despite its spotty level design, that Sonic Advance 1 still stands among my favorite of the handheld titles (with Triple Trouble right behind). As for the pure 2D Sonic games overall, I'd have to give the nod to Sonic CD for its brilliant exploration and past/future design and then Sonic 2 for drop-dead awesome levels.

But I still really love the 3D Sonic's WAY more than the 2D ones. Sonic Adventure 2 sucked 100 hours out of me (counting the clock on my save file). And I still stand by Inoue bringing the most interesting music to the Sonic games. I have everyone of his soundtracks and am constantly impressed by the absolutely clean mix they get at Wavemaster's studio.

I say bring back Inoue for the next handheld Sonic. Oh, and get rid of that wonky-ass "trial & error" level design. I don't mind it every now and then, but it just gets tiresome. Go back and play Sonic 2 or CD. The games are far more about platforming sprinkles with a decent mix of speed.

ShowDog

Honestly, I don't like the music very much at all. I think it's mostly annoying and the same "ugh" noises just get repeated over and over, making "music." I would take classic Genesis Sonic music over the Sonic Rush crap anyday. And I love Jet Set Radios soundtrack, but it just doesn't fit Sonic, and the levels dont gain any personality from the music. None if it is memorable to me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lindsay said:
I check cdjapan daily hoping one day an OST will be released so that I may import and love on it. Infact...

*checks*

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/Listups/anime/sonic.html?media=CDA

Not yet. :(
There IS a full OST (and the recording quality of the music is light years beyond the scratchy DS audio).

I think it may have been a special bonus that you could only get through Sega's website back around the release date of the game...but I can't be certain.

Tsubaki

sonicrush_nds_cdb.jpg

Booyah.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Never played the game but the soundtrack is one of my favorite soundtracks of the year (2005)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
soundtrack is amazing

Jeh Jeh Rocket and Ska Cha Cha are my favorites.

Rlan

SnowWolf said:

Took me a while too, but what you need to realise is that for the first half, when there are shitloads of spike bombs, do NOT go for every Ring in there. Basically stay to one side where there are SOME rings, and just try not to get hit at all. My problem was I would try and get all the rings, and it's practically impossible. You gewt more than enough rings afer the bomb bombardment to get to the second half, which is easy.

Tsubaki

I like Wrapped in Black best but the main melody sounds a little too much like one of the Grandia town themes...

rod

Banned
BUMP because ive played this game more today and wow FUCK i love this OST, where can i buy this shit from? or if anyone has it would it be ok to up 2 or 3 tracks? fuck its unreal :D

rod

Banned
oh ps fuck the haters i hope every new sonic game from now on is in the same vein as sonic rush AND i hope naganuma does the ost for ALL of em. i think they go VERY well together :)

E-phonk

Banned
Soundtrack is ok, but not memorable imo. Idem with the game, I liked the first half an hour, afterwards it got a bit tiresome.

But still, rush was better then most other recent sonic titles

rod

Banned
i dont know how anyone can say at least the SOUNDTRACK isnt memorable. i cannot get some of those tunes out of my head:lol

Top Bottom