• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyperkin: June 6th for RetroN 5

Brofield

(New news, new thread)

I posted it in the RetroN 5 thread, but if it's worth bearing to make an official thread, this was just posted to Facebook by Hyperkin (For US pre-orders only, EU is still TBA).

10360244_684687631566336_6127971635305687517_n.png

I'd assume first, but as the saying goes...

Y'all know the drill if old

Lettuce

(New news, new thread)

I posted it in the RetroN 5 thread, but if it's worth bearing to make an official thread, this was just posted to Facebook by Hyperkin.

10360244_684687631566336_6127971635305687517_n.png

I'd assume first, but as the saying goes...

Y'all know the drill if old

Yeah for the US, reports are it could be September time before Europe see their first batch!!!

Mareg

Birthday is on the 4th. Nnnnnngh Hyperkin I will forget that "minor delay" if the emulation is awesome. I have 2 preordered :D

Jeff-DSA

My wife gave me a small birthday present in April and told me to hold out and buy one of these when they released. She had done her research and knew it would be something I'd want. Best wife.

IrishNinja

as a fan of OG hardware, i dig the region free bit but it's really the ability to backup saves from my carts that makes me interested, that and the chances of this thing somehow being hacked into a MAME box...for real though, i'm a ninja dog sometimes so savestates are a neat option

June 6 of which year tho

(FYI this console was originally planned for Summer 2013 launch)

haha, harsh but fair

enewtabie

New thread great. My birthday is the 7th and I'm turning 40 so the wife is buying this. Whats the best way to order one? Amazon?

Mareg

New thread great. My birthday is the 7th and I'm turning 40 so the wife is buying this. Whats the best way to order one? Amazon?

Sorry to say, but I highly doubt you will be able to get one by the 7th if you didn't preorder. My understanding is that the thing was hard to supply and their initial batch will run out very fast.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
My $99 amazon.com preorder still hasn't been cancelled! Pretty sure we'll all be disappointed when we get it, but yolo.

Spux666

Banned
Sooooo, if I didn't preorder a million years ago when can I expect to get one? Been waiting on this machine for about a year now and didn't have the money at the time when preorders were available.

How do the common folk get their hands on one of these sexual boxes!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sooooo, if I didn't preorder a million years ago when can I expect to get one? Been waiting on this machine for about a year now and didn't have the money at the time when preorders were available.

You'll probably get one around the time that the Retron 5 is retro and there are clone consoles designed to emulate it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This had potential but they've made a number of decisions that ultimately limit what it can do. The fact that it's HDMI only allows them to target higher resolutions and implement a UI but it eliminates the possibility of true 240p output.

There's also the issue of poorly implemented scan lines and the fact that carts are basically stored in memory requiring loading at start-up (especially with GBA titles).

I was somewhat interested as there is no good solution for enjoying GBA games on a TV. The GB Player is terrible and the SNES-based solutions also suck.

Check out your local used game shops that sell the other Retrons. Each of them should be getting a few.

The more I hear about how this thing works the less I am interested in it. People seem to be excited though, and interest in retro games is always awesome.

Yeah I get that, I was just hoping I could find something that could play NES/Famicom games on S Video without being total shit quality.

Jhriad

And the wait continues. Hopefully these review well. After taking my childhood SNES out of storage I noticed that it no longer works. I'll be keeping an eye on the Retron 5 for a simple solution for my living room.

psylah

No no, those are boxes of laminate for them to redo the floors of the office.

They will be closed on June 6th for the remodeling.

Retron 5 is still TBA.

Lettuce

And the wait continues. Hopefully these review well. After taking my childhood SNES out of storage I noticed that it no longer works. I'll be keeping an eye on the Retron 5 for a simple solution for my living room.

SNES's are usually bullet proof, whats exactly wrong with yours??

Rubik8

Has anyone with an Amazon pre-order received a unit or even shipment confirmation? I sent an email to Amazon customer service because my status is still "not shipped" and I was told they are on backorder. So much for reserving one in January. I ordered the black one, so maybe that has something to do with it; I heard the black were in smaller supply.

Top Bottom