• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucas Pope (Papers, Please) announces his next game: "Return of the Obra Dinn"

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Aw yeah.

tidD2Ti.gif

g5GeZN8.png

@dukope said:
Starting on my next game, "Return of the Obra Dinn". 3D 1st person mystery, 1-bit rendering.

My next project will be a 3D first-person mystery game set on an East Indiaman merchant ship in 1808.

Tons of details in the link:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=40832.0

UPDATE- first screenshots: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=40832.msg1026961#msg1026961

4SHWNuJ.png

ghst

thanks for the laugh
it's a real shame he doesn't $100m to spend on this idea so he can colour it properly and fill it with guns.

SJRB

Gold Member
After Papers, Please I'll try out anything he makes, what a great game.

This premise looks awesome, as does the style.

Dr Dogg

Sounds like an interesting premise. Christ 1-bit monochrome brings back some happy and horrendous memories of old word processors and their "games".

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Seems pretty cool overall also this reminds me i should finish papers please, great game but i feel so drained after playing it so i moved on :/

Loving the premise, and it sure sounds more interesting to me than Papers, Please. "1-bit rendering", though, that term kind of stinks. The GIF in the OP looks to be using dithering, if that's what he's referring to.

StuBurns

Banned
Black and white, I feared this might happen, developers will have to make compromises because of the eSRAM, this is very disappointing to see, could have been cool.

Looks rad, I hope it's kind of on-board the ship uncovering the mystery of where the crew went or whatnot. I was late to Paper, Please and it truly blew me away.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
everything sounds so ridiculously good, and that gif gives me a Game Boy vibe causing my penis to erect in a way I couldnt believe possible

Nazgul11

A first person mystery game with 1-bit rendering/post-processing shaders sounds incredible. I'm really looking forward to seeing this in action now.

mclem

But will it play on my Mac Quadra?

Glad I'm not the only one who had that impression immediately!

There was quite a bit of interesting stuff with that graphical limitation way back when, I'm rather interested to see what he can do with it.

Haunted

You had me at Lucas Pope.

Seems like a bit of a departure from his last three games, I can't see how his usual political and social overtones could be included here. But possible themes aside, he's proven with his past games that he's just an excellent game designer with a good grasp on how to create satisfying and engaging gameplay loops.

Bring it!

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but that picture isn't in 1 bit rendering. 1bit rendering as in you can only represent colors in 1 bit - meaning 2 colors? There are more than 2 colors in that gif. I guess he meant greyscale? Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Either way, sounds interesting, would love to hear more on it.

Edit: Oh cool, zoomed in. Again, should be interesting

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but that picture isn't in 1 bit rendering. 1bit rendering as in you can only represent colors in 1 bit - meaning 2 colors? There are more than 2 colors in that gif. I guess he meant greyscale? Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Look closer, the grey is actually black and white squares.

LegoArmo

Zoom in.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm wondering if the graphical style will tie thematically into the story at all the way Papers Please did. I'm fine if it doesn't, its just aesthetically interesting in its own right, but a large part of the "art" of Papers Please was that level of cohesion.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Never played past the beta of Papers, Please, but I like the specificity of the setting and context.

wildfire

Banned
On second thought it's a good thing he hasn't mentioned what is this gameplay mechanic he is working on now since he most likely will have to make changes as he works on it.

If he can make something that isn't a collect-athon as he indicated I'll be interested in buying this.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You had me at Lucas Pope.

Seems like a bit of a departure from his last three games, I can't see how his usual political and social overtones could be included here. But possible themes aside, he's proven with his past games that he's just an excellent game designer with a good grasp on how to create satisfying and engaging gameplay loops.

Bring it!

US and UK both banned the importation of slaves in 1808. Probably just a coincidence, but there are angles here if he plans on making a political or social themed game

Top Bottom