• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Persona 3 Portable (Untagged Spoilers)

Flandy

UNTAGGED SPOILERS for Persona 3 Portable.
Please tag any spoilers related to "The Answer"

Ok so I literally just beat this game about 40 minutes ago. It''s almost 3 in the morning here at the time I typed this out, so excuse me if I make mistakes or anything like that.

So anyway, started this game about 3 years ago on my PSP and loved it at first, but then as I kept playing it I would enjoy playing it up until I got to Tartarus. Tartarus would just end up being such a grind and I would dread continuing. As a result I would stop playing for like a month sometime. Over the course of about 2 years I ended getting to mid August before I had enough and just stopped playing. I would occasionally come back and try to make some progress, but I never made much.

Anyway, I eventually restarted as the female protagonist on easy difficulty this time so I could get through Tartarus ASAP. This was around September of last year shortly after I beat P4G. Anyway, I ended up enjoying playing as the female protagonist and ended up putting about 10 hours into it and got to about June in game time before I stopped playing it again.

Skip ahead 8 months to the current month and P3P went on sale for $5 on PSN. I wanted to give the game another shot and decided to double dip so I could try to finally finish the game on my Vita. I still hate Tartarus as much now as I did back then, but I decided to just sit down and get through my youtube backlog as I blasted my way through this game. Story was great and I enjoyed the game in spite of Tartarus being an absolute chore.

Random thoughts follow:

Unfortunately I already knew that Shinjiro was going to die. Didn't quite expect him to go out the way he did though. RIP ;__;

Ken was a little shit and I disliked him

Nobody wanted to hang out for like 3 weeks during December. Pissed me off because I couldn't level up their S. Links >___>

Vincent and Margret cameos were cool

Got friendzoned by Junpei during January :lol

I love how it was revealed that Ikutsuki betrayed us and dies within like 15 minutes of that revelation
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Holy shit fuck Nyx. I must have spent like an hour fighting it. Motherfucker was just like "This isn't even my final form"

Koromaru has the best fucking social link ever. Seriously, it was insanely amusing getting to hang out with a dog. This was my face when I first formed a link with him.
29e.jpg

Currently watching all the cutscenes from the Answer stitched together on youtube.
The Answer Spoiler:
So I actually knew the MC died, but I thought it happened during the main game, so I was very very when I nothing happened after defeating Nyx :lol Turns out it happens after you fall asleep on Aigis' lap >__>

Oh and FemMC > MaleMC

edit: forgot to mention. While this was the first Persona game I ever played it wasn't the first one I ever beat. When P4G went on sale for $20 in August of last year I got convinced to buy it even though I really was not enjoying P3P at the time. I ended up buying it and LOVING IT. I finished it after playing it for 3 weeks non stop. I believe P4G was the reason I gave P3P another shot, but I can't remember.

Guess Who

Banned
Currently watching all the cutscenes from the Answer stitched together on youtube.
The Answer Spoiler:
So I actually knew the MC died, but I thought it happened during the main game, so I was very very when I nothing happened after defeating Nyx :lol Turns out it happens after you fall asleep on Aigis' lap >__>

You didn't fall asleep, bro. The scene of "falling asleep on Aigis's lap" is the MC's death.

Wait there's a Koromaru s-link?

I played this for the first time late last year and beat it in one go over a couple months. Thought it was really good, my first Persona (and hell, first SMT).

Atlas157

I'm doing a 100% run of the game with FeMC right now. All social links, Liz quests, Personas, and I have to beat the secret boss...

Flandy

They gotta redeem themselves after creating a Social Link for Ken :p

lol
Every time I would talk to him "What's wrong?" he asks me everytime even though his entire social link is his issues. What's wrong with me? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU? At one point he was like "Why are you hanging out with me and not the other guys". It's a shame there wasn't an option to say "Because for some reason their social links are available at night"

I've already made my feelings on the trifecta of dumb clear (Aigis, Ken, Koromaru) in other threads, so I won't waste my breath there...

P3P is just such a downgrade... I was so excited for it's release but I couldn't play all the way through with FeMC... but I never found anything (I played about half way through the game) about her that really made her superior to MaMC. Her social links weren't inherently better, her (lack) of personality was still pretty much the same, the only thing that really separates her IMO is she doesn't look emo... but she also doesn't stick her hands in her pockets as she cruises the streets like the boss that is MaMC.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
lol
Every time I would talk to him "What's wrong?" he asks me everytime even though his entire social link is his issues. What's wrong with me? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU? At one point he was like "Why are you hanging out with me and not the other guys". It's a shame there wasn't an option to say "Because for some reason their social links are available at night"

To be fair though 90% of the social links are pretty big bummers.

I've already made my feelings on the trifecta of dumb clear (Aigis, Ken, Koromaru) in other threads, so I won't waste my breath there...

P3P is just such a downgrade... I was so excited for it's release but I couldn't play all the way through with FeMC... but I never found anything (I played about half way through the game) about her that really made her superior to MaMC. Her social links weren't inherently better, her (lack) of personality was still pretty much the same, the only thing that really separates her IMO is she doesn't look emo... but she also doesn't stick her hands in her pockets as she cruises the streets like the boss that is MaMC.

Lack of personality? She's bubbly as fuck.

RalchAC

P3P is above in my list just due to the gameplay updates. Going back to FES after playing Persona 4 is really hard.

I don't care all that much that they erased the city areas and put some static images. It's less inmersive but not such a big deal.

Tarturus is as annoying as ever, but the Great/Normal/Tired mechanic is not as intrusive so you can go through it faster. And no "Marin Karin" anymore. Controlling your whole party is a blessing.

For a first playthrough I'll recommend people to try P3FES. If you want to play again, go for Portable.

But this game seriously needs a definitive version. P3FES world and The Answer + P3P combat updates and FeMC.

Trigger

FeMC's personality shines through her dialogue options. She's a lot more upbeat than her male counterpart.

Acosta

Makes me sad we didn't get one for P4G

Had no idea how to start an S Link with him

P4 spoilers
P4s ending was a bummer :(
But yeah P4 > P3 :p

Well, Persona 4 Golden ending spoiler:

It was sad, but as my first run with P4 was with Golden and I got the true ending, it finished on a very high note :)

Flandy

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurn myyyyyyyyy breaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
Anyone know the track that plays in the dorm during January?

Well, Persona 4 Golden ending spoiler:

It was sad, but as my first run with P4 was with Golden and I got the true ending, it finished on a very high note :)
P4G was my first time with P4 as well. Got the true ending too

The static backgrounds and the lack of cutscenes killed the game for me (and I enjoyed vanilla P3 and P3FES).

Although I understand why people wouldn't like it, Tartarus was not an issue to me. I could explore it at my own pace and it usually took me one week in game time to beat the whole area available every month.

P4 was a bummer to me: lots of anime cliches and a plot that didn't make sense were not enough to keep me as interested as I was when I was playing P3, even if the changes in gameplay made it better than P3 (according to almost everyone).

I played as the FeMC when I got P3P too, but to be honest I didn't like the changes in the SL, sure dating Shinji, Ken and Akihiko was cool ( I remember at one point Akihiko and Ken were fighting over me inside Tartarus XD) but the SL inside the school felt rushed in an attempt to include the same characters you met as Minato in the previous games.

I think we need a version of the game that includes the improvements to the gameplay they did for P4/P3P integrated to FES.

Flandy

Fem mc didnt have operation baby hunt screw that.

In my original run I got far enough to see Operation Babe Hunt so it's all good. Was wondering how it would look like from the female perspective. Speaking of which. I need to look up how the hot spring scene looks from the male perspective

PK Gaming

I would argue that his social links were inherently worse. The team clearly took what they learned from P4s links and applied them to P3P. FeMC's social links don't suffer from the same outrageous requirements as MaMC's (you can slink with Yukari and Fuuka immediately, for example). Furthermore, none of her slinks are as flawed as Kenji's

Or downright backwards in Keisuke's case

And the female slink don't follow the formulaic process of (befriend --> get through problem --> romance )

I've grown to appreciate Makoto's social links (Maya's slink is one of the best in the series), but it was clearly their first foray into the social link and it shows. Many of Makoto's social links come across as "out of touch" with reality.

ramyeon

Female MC's S.Links are definitely better overall, although Minato does have some gems hidden among the bad to average ones. I do prefer Minato overall as an MC though, he just fits in with the storyline much better in general.

I also feel like I'm one of the few people here that likes Tartarus. I've played through P3 countless times and I never really got tired of it.

Linkark07

Banned
Oh and FemMC > MaleMC

High five.

Love them both, but prefer Hamuko social links rather than Makoto. And how she is much more excitable and friendly with her teammates than Makoto.

Just finished this game an hour ago. Hopefully, I wont have to visit Tartarus anymore. Finished it on FES once, then finished the Answer, and now Tartarus again as FemMC. Never again...

Wait, now I need to play P4G. Ugh, not those random dungeons again. Please Atlus, stop using random dungeons in Persona 5. It is so boring and annoying.

I just started up a FemMC run and one thing I noticed was although the text says "she" or "her" sometimes characters will still say "he" or "him". Hopefully that was just one little mistake at the start otherwise it kind of kills the immersion.

I just started up a FemMC run and one thing I noticed was although the text says "she" or "her" sometimes characters will still say "he" or "him". Hopefully that was just one little mistake at the start otherwise it kind of kills the immersion.

If you're talking about the hospital scene, yeah, that's the only time I noticed.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
1. Ken was a little shit and I disliked him

2. Holy shit fuck Nyx. I must have spent like an hour fighting it. Motherfucker was just like "This isn't even my final form"

3. Currently watching all the cutscenes from the Answer stitched together on youtube.
The Answer Spoiler:

4. Oh and FemMC > MaleMC

1. Considering the circumstances, I thought Ken was a pretty alright kid. Hey, he got to get it on with the FemMC too, so yeah :p

2. That wasn't Nyx.

3. It's such a sad fate. Although it is mitigated somewhat by the fact that he's the only person in the Persona world that manages to get a hold of the UNIVERSE card, unlike that wimpy World card.

4. ..........................I am disappointed in you, Flandy :(

If you're talking about the hospital scene, yeah, that's the only time I noticed.

Only other time I noticed gender mix-ups like that was the dialogue before the fight with Theodore.

Can't say it ever really bothered me too much.

Well, what do you expect from a non-canon character that ATLUS completely erased out of existence beyond a single what-if scenario?

*Puts up the flame shield*

ramyeon

I never really hated Ken either, I think he went through some pretty fucked up stuff and he was too young to deal with it in any other way than he knew how.

That said he's probably the character I've used least throughout all my play throughs. Never really used Koromaru much either actually, despite how cool having a dog on your team is.

Top Bottom