• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan's reaction to buff Ike:"Looks like a gorilla."

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
http://kotaku.com/ike-joins-super-smash-bros-gets-compared-to-a-gorilla-1580543165
main.png

Nintendo just announced that Ike from Fire Emblem is returning to Smash Bros. So, he's not a new character to the series, but he now looks...different. And in Japan, some are mocking his pumped up appearance.

On popular game sites like Hachima and My Game News Flash, there are commenters calling the muscular Ike a "gorilla."

"And here's gorilla Ike!" wrote one commenter. "Why'd they have to make him look like a gorilla?" asked another. "Who is this gorilla?" asked yet another. P

Meanwhile, on 2ch, Japan's largest forum, some commenters said the beefy Ike looked like Ryu from Street Fighter. Oh, and people thought the new Smash Bros. character looked like a gorilla.
smh japan, There is a reason for this however:
As noted by Kotaku tipster Kitsunenoyomeiri, many Japanese tend to like thinner characters with muscles—instead of simply, muscle men. Make no mistake, these thinner characters are strong, but they don't simply rely on brute to win. Rather, they use technique as well. In the West, sheer strength tends to be favored, especially in video games.
But
That doesn't mean everyone online in Japan hates the gorilla Ike. "This gorilla Ike works for me," said one commenter on My Game News Flash. "My chest is going to get warm." On Hachima, one commenter wrote, "He's macho. I'm in love. I am a dude, though." A 2ch commenter wrote, "I think gorilla is cooler."

Shaanyboi

Banned
...I don't think these guys understand what gorillas are. Or they use the term "gorilla" real loosely...

I like his new look. It better differentiates him from Marth.

Tookay

I take it most of the critics aren't familiar with the fact that it was a pre-existing character design from Radiant Dawn?

It shouldn't be a surprise.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
main.png

He looks like he got Chris Redfield arms. Looks alright to me, though. I don't understand the gorilla comparisons.

Khrno

I take it most of the critics aren't familiar with the fact that it was a pre-existing character design from Radiant Dawn?

Just like the majority of Smash fans that have never played Fire Emblem games, at least until Awakening.

Koppai

I feel like this version of Ike is suppose to be mature. Also anime is full of mega huge buff guys, now they have a problem lol.

It shouldn't be a surprise.

To be fair, Smash U Ike looks way buffer than the actual Radiant Dawn Ike, both in game and in the promo art.

Gorilla? He looks like a well built man lol. Dunno why Japan is so obsessed with skinny dudes :p

New Ike isn't even disproportionate like, say, SF4 characters.

instead of simply, muscle men.
Is it just me, or is that comma in a weird place?

...I don't think these guys understand what gorillas are. Or they use the term "gorilla" real loosely...

I like his new look. It better differentiates him from Marth.

"Gorilla" is a fairly common term for someone who looks muscular/beefy like that with heavy-set features in Japan.

Murrah

Banned
Never really liked Ike's design in brawl, but I think he looks really cool in the new smash. Think it goes beyond just the muscles too

Same people spouting this "gorilla" stuff are probably the same people who were stepping to Little Mac for being playable at all. So, like, whatever man

Kind of wonder which comments foreign language boards pick from NeoGAF.

I can't think of any flowery shit for Lightning.

All I can say is she is hot as hell and her titties are fucking divine! This is what Genesis meant by "Gift of the Goddess" I suppose.

CorvoSol

Just like the majority of Smash fans that have never played Fire Emblem games, at least until Awakening.

It was so nice of Awakening to include Smash Bros original characters like Marth, Ike, and most unexpectedly Ike. I would never have expected fighting game characters to appear in an SRPG!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I remember Akagi from Slam Dunk being repeatedly called "Gori" from Sakuragi...well to be honest he looked like one

Coxy

Wonder what they think of the actually well built Hector, who should have been picked over this guy

Chettlar

Banned
How does he look like a gorilla?

He doesn't even look that buff. Fit, and those are some large bi's, but a gorilla? lol, how does one come up with that?

Top Bottom