• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #145 - "Verbiogenesis"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M

Nick N
Theme - "Verbiogenesis"

That's a word I just made up that means "making up words."

"But Mike!" you may protest, "That's called a neologism!"

To those people, I say: Shut up and take yer fancy book learnin' elsewhere.

Word Limit: 2000

Please note the new deadlines! We're experimenting with a different timeframe!
Submission Deadline: Saturday, June 14th at 08:00 AM PST

Voting begins Saturday, June 14th at 08:01 AM PST and goes until Tuesday, June 17th at 08:00 AM PST.

Optional Secondary Objective: No Prose

I always give bonus points to people who do something besides just submitting a sheet full of boring 'ol words. What happens if we all do it?

Submit a song, a letter, an illustrated children's book, a comic, a fake newspaper editorial. Surprise me.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Ourobolus

Banned
I'll play your game, you rogue.

My story is going to use some strange language.

"they're" is a word that means "that place"
"there" is a word that means "possessed by multiple people"
"their" is going to be a contraction of the words "they, in fact, are"

HAVE SOME FUN

EDIT: Don't forget, if people still want to provide critiques on the last challenge's submissions, feel free!

Nezumi

Would an "audio book" version count. As much as I want to do something with illustrations I'm just not good enough when it comes to drawing and stuff.

making up words is ideal for me as it just lets me work on my fantasy crap whilst still entering.

the uh, no prose stuff is gonna' be a lot harder.

but yes, i revel in the challenge!

Carlisle

HAVE SOME FUN

EDIT: Don't forget, if people still want to provide critiques on the last challenge's submissions, feel free!
Welp that's one story I won't be reading :p

Cyan

Banned
Hmm. I've done songs, poems, letters, some pretty odd fiction. Haven't done an editorial column, though I did a letter to the editor. Or maybe it was an open letter, don't remember for sure.

I dunno, I might skip the secondary this time. I don't mind doing weird random stuff, but it's more of a "when the mood strikes me" thing. And I just did one like that. We'll see.

Cyan

Banned
Yeeeeah, but I kinda abandoned it all years ago. I'm not super savvy with running a website, and I kept getting hacked : /

It was my 15 minutes of fame and I totally failed to capitalize on it.

Awesome! That site was goddamn hilarious.

How did you not leverage this into worldwide fame?

Mike M

Nick N
Awesome! That site was goddamn hilarious.

How did you not leverage this into worldwide fame?
I had no idea how to do so. Plus after a time, it stopped being all that funny to me and was a lot more work than fun to find new material.

Iceman

Congrats Mike. Still have critiqued to posit in the previous thread..

That said, this should be perfect for part II of nightgown. Its going to be a Shakespearean stage play. He made up all kinds of worfs to fit his poetry.

The second half of nightgown was going to be dialogue heavy anyway.

I'm actually kind of excited about trying to pull off a Kill Bill volumes 1 and 2 with thus story.

Cyan

Banned
Oh, I also did a PowerPoint presentation one time. That was actually really fun, someone should try that!

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
How advanced does this have to be? I assume that if a letter is alright then writing a news article would be as well?

Ashes

Banned
Heh. Pretty sure Mike is just talking about straightforward narratives of the standard type we get in these threads.

Cheers.

No prose = verse.

Correct?

Mike has a far better grasp of the English language than I. So just checking.

Ashes

Banned
Right. Mike is fucking around with language or something. :p

PS. I really liked your piece in the last thread. Very rarely do I read something these days that takes hold of my attention from beginning to end.

Edit: I think for this thread, should I find the time, I'd like to write an essay. Or an editorial.

Nezumi

I won't be doing something with audio afterall. Firstly because I don't think that it is something I can pull off in a couple of weeks and secondly because I had a much better idea that doesn't involve me trying to find the USB microphone somewhere in our basement storage.

Tangent

HAVE SOME FUN

This made me crack up hysterically. Sounds like a winner. Maybe you should write your story on the outside of a potato, take a photo of it, and then upload the photo. Or wait: video version, so that you can turn the potato around so we can read all the they're's, there's, and their's.

Yeeeeah, but I kinda abandoned it all years ago. I'm not super savvy with running a website, and I kept getting hacked : /

It was my 15 minutes of fame and I totally failed to capitalize on it. The Daily Show even stole a joke I made on a message board post about cars that ran on the tears of children (That I later recycled myself several entries back).
This the coolest thing ever!

Mike M

Nick N
I just completed my first draft. This wasn't as funny in practice as I thought it might be in my head : /

Cyan

Banned
So, this notion is rattling around my noggin. A notion for our optional goal, that is. I don't know if folks will think it fits (or spot it at all!), and I know I'll find it difficult, but I kinda dig it.

Still gotta find an aiming point on our primary, too.

Tangent

So, this notion is rattling around my noggin. A notion for our optional goal, that is. I don't know if folks will think it fits (or spot it at all!), and I know I'll find it difficult, but I kinda dig it.

Still gotta find an aiming point on our primary, too.

Nice. Good feeling to dig your own idea. I have nothing rattling around in my noggin.

Charade

So I've been lurking through the last couple, but I think I might enter this one. I have an idea I'm liking so far. Don't know how well I can pull it off, but we'll see! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom