• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #145 - "Verbiogenesis"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangent

Congrats Charade!!! Well-deserved!
KWyu7ZF.png

Have you tried just deleting the cookies? (If you don't want to change browsers.) In most browsers you can remove specific cookies (if you don't want to simply clear all of them).
It turns out that right now, I can actually access NeoGAF in the same browser. And yes, I prefer that than opening up a new browser. But I imagine I'll run into the same problem again, in which case, I'll try making exceptions for cookies from specific websites or domains. Thanks!

1. Mike J
2. Mike K
3. Mike L
I was hoping to see votes for (1) Mike N, (2) Mike O, (3) Mike P.

LaMagenta

KarenQ0506 – I had an idea to write about the way my boyfriend has VD…Verbal Diarrhea. Urban dictionary defines it as “A condition suffered by an individual who has the inability to shut the fuck up, i.e the words keep flowing.” And I couldn’t have said it better. He makes up words and random phrases and I have to remind him “where’s the charming man I fell in love with.” But anyway, it was too much work (or a headache) to try and write about it. So naturally, my obsession with cats kicked in and this is all I could come up with. :/ Actually, I am not familiar with all the text lingo either. I had to google them.

Ourobolus – I thought your creativity here was amusing. I enjoyed my nickname. The use of our conversation and scenes was clever.

Elfforkusu – I thought your poetic story telling was lovely. I take it the boy was a bit of a troublemaker and his mother put the sheriff up to it?

Mike M – I like how you researched this matter, whether you used it or not in your piece, it gives it a thorough understanding of what you are writing. The new words to be added to spite the Americans was fun.

Cyan – You write beautifully. The flow of your words really bring the reader into the story. I was especially intrigued with the reference to Franklstin (Frankenstein). It reminded me of a new show I’m watching, Penny Dreadful. I agree with Charade, your made up words were hard to spot as they all seem legit!

Bootaay – Interesting take to a universe united. I’m not familiar with these type of stories, so a little hard to follow for me. I like how they concluded not to underestimate a race for what seemed prehistoric technology for one nation was more powerful than others.

Charade – Very amusing and a lot of work put into this. Everyone wants to know how this guy got any interview in the first place. I’d think that his resume cover letter must have been refreshing to the employer. A bit cocky but maybe they thought he was joking..until he wasn’t.

Chainsawkitten – This was great. I suck at crossword puzzles. I can’t even begin to try and guess at one of these, but kudos for making it.

Kehs – This was very intense. I can feel the anger and confusion running through this person’s mind. I tried to envision how this person acts in their work life versus what he thought he needed to be. I watch the Netflix show Orange is the New Black. There is a transgender actress who plays a transgender character. But she is very much put together in who she is and wants to be. Your character is very conflicted. Even loathes himself for what he is. If he loved himself he wouldn’t need the heels. If he could stand tall and proud, he wouldn’t have to live that life.

MollyAttack – This left me wanting more. What was the machine he was waiting for?? What happens next?

Tangent – It’s not farfetched to think that in the future our communication would be limited to telepathy and pictograms. History does repeat itself. The use of words would seem obsolete if we could communicate with our thoughts. Perhaps the written language would be forgotten and we would defer back to the earliest form of writing seen in ancient civilizations.

kehs

Banned
Kehs- The promise of a real relationship at the end was nice.

That's a little of what I was going for. Mikes comment about wanting to see more solidified my teasing attempt though, but in a super critical way =D.

Kehs – I wish I were familiar with more stories about gender, since it’s this eternal concept we’ve had, but continues to befuddle everyone. I liked the concept and how the story flows. I wish, at the end, there was more explicitly stated as to how the new Jon in town felt about Vase. I was a little unclear as to why he was so nervous – if he was gay since Vase is now dressed as a man, if he just had extreme social anxiety with strangers, felt insecure in a new town, etc. Oh, and I liked this sentence: If I could be as tall as I am with hooker heels without hooker heels I wouldn’t need hooker heels.

I felt kind proud about that line. I think that line could have been my entire story.

The nervous part was just commentary on getting afflicted by things innate desires. Not dissimilar to the Vase.

Kehs – This was very intense. I can feel the anger and confusion running through this person’s mind. I tried to envision how this person acts in their work life versus what he thought he needed to be. I watch the Netflix show Orange is the New Black. There is a transgender actress who plays a transgender character. But she is very much put together in who she is and wants to be. Your character is very conflicted. Even loathes himself for what he is. If he loved himself he wouldn’t need the heels. If he could stand tall and proud, he wouldn’t have to live that life.

That intensity is what I was trying to get across, thanks. I actually thought about this story because I started watching season two of Orange. I remembered about the whole controversy when the first season came out.

--

Thank you all for the comments btw. =)

Charade

Congrats Charade!!! Well-deserved!
KWyu7ZF.png

You know...I..uhh...have never actually seen this movie...But I have heard of it! So that's gotta be something...

I'll watch it soon though, since it has such a good title :p

----------------------------------------------

Also, here's the next thread. Hope I didn't mess anything up!

It turns out that right now, I can actually access NeoGAF in the same browser. And yes, I prefer that than opening up a new browser. But I imagine I'll run into the same problem again, in which case, I'll try making exceptions for cookies from specific websites or domains. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, which browser?

Tangent

Thanks! Those are actual pictures I had from my cat and my friend's cat. Mine just happened to have a fake smile.

That's cool that your cat has cat friends.

Out of curiosity, which browser?

Chrome!

You know...I..uhh...have never actually seen this movie...But I have heard of it! So that's gotta be something...

I'll watch it soon though, since it has such a good title :p

To be honest, I haven't either. I was just curious about your name, and wondered if you are named after that movie. Apparently not!

So awesome!

Charade

To be honest, I haven't either. I was just curious about your name, and wondered if you are named after that movie. Apparently not!

Haha, phew. I thought it was your favorite movie or something :p
But if you really want to know, it was inspired by a line in the song "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" by Pink Floyd.

Tangent

But if you really want to know, it was inspired by a line in the song "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" by Pink Floyd.
That is WAY cooler.

I figured Tangent is just really into trigonometry.
It's true. I do like trig. Maybe other kinds of math more, but trig is cool too. BUT, for the record, my name is more about being tangential in thought and in expression than being about a mathematical tangent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom