• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Assassin’s Creed: Unity’s has no playable women?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Not sure if this was posted here yet: Lock if not thread worthy.

You want to play as a woman? -- Sorry move along, this game is not for you. -- Anyhow just shut up and pick a male character instead!

It seems you can't win these days when releasing a trailer or some gameplay, all the shit starts to hit the fan, either the game is racist, or it is sexist, or it does not paint life correctly, and in this case with Assassin's Creed latest game it is where did the women go?

You see the problem is previous games from Ubisoft in Assassin's Creed universe had some 'women' characters but not Unity they disappeared, and when questioned on the 'fact', they claim it would be 'double the work' to add 'females' to the game so they skipped it, which just angered the gamers that wish to play as a women even more.

Speaking to VideoGamer, technical director James Therien said making female characters is just too much work.

"It was on our feature list until not too long ago, but it's a question of focus and production. So we wanted to make sure we had the best experience for the character. A female character means that you have to redo a lot of animation, a lot of costumes. It would have doubled the work on those things," he said, and I hope he was wiping sweat off his brow as he did it.

"And I mean it's something the team really wanted, but we had to make a decision. It's unfortunate, but it's a reality of game development."

At this point VideoGamer quite rightly pressed the issue, mentioning the resources at Ubisoft's disposal. Assassin's Creed: Unity, let me remind you, is being worked on by nine development teams and has been in the works for a couple of years.

Therien's response to this perfectly reasonable query was slightly garbled by the incessant roaring assault of noise that is the setting for nearly any E3 interview, and this is probably the only reason why I'm calmly typing away at my keyboard and not actually snapping it over my knee. Here's what VideoGamer heard:

"Again, it's not a question of philosophy or choice in this case at all I don't really [inaudible] it was a question of focus and a question of production," he said.

"Yes, we have tonnes of resources, but we're putting them into this game, and we have huge teams, nine studios working on this game and we need all of these people to make what we are doing here."

Ah, yes - writing off the addition of female characters to your game as "too expensive" absolutely doesn't reveal an underlying "philosophy" or "choice" of any sort. (Ubisoft, look, I have always loved you, but since you seem to have become incapable of basic understanding let me just make it clear that the entire preceding sentence was sarcasm.)

In short, Ubisoft has here trotted out a tired, stupid, constantly refuted excuse for why it has perpetuated the cycle of sexism and under-representation in the games industry; we're going to get a bunch of bottom-dwellers telling us how "social justice warrior" we've become as if fighting for a better world were a negative thing; I have cancelled my Unity pre-order; and the universe goes on, uncaring, as my heart breaks just a little bit more with every dragging day. Put that in your box quotes.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/06/11/ubi...ins-creed-unitys-co-op-has-no-playable-women/

~~Hasan~~

most games have only playable men. why they are making a fuzz about playable women ?

is this article written by female ?

let it go.

Also, AC on Vita had a female lead.

EDIT: Also, as I mentioned below, the game isn't even out. maybe female will be added later.

Ouren

most games have men playable only. why they are making a fuzz about playable women ?

let it go.

—————————————

You create a character in AC Unity.
So, inherently this is preposterous.

Nemesis_

I agree it sucks but I think maybe if this game wasn't on an annual development cycle that maybe they would've been bothered to implement it. The timing might make it hard.

But I don't know. I think there should be females - I remember some of the greatest praises were even sang for the Aveline DLC for Black Flag.

Ubi should just recycle those animations if they really wanted to.

Karthaugh

most games have men playable only. why they are making a fuzz about playable women ?

let it go.

Because in a game where the multiplayer has different models, having a woman isn't hard. FFS you can play female soldiers in COD! compare that to the 10 studios working on this game and it is pretty sad.

PensOwl

Banned
The article is a bit acerbic, but honestly- it's a coop focused game with customizable characters. There should be a choice to have a female character. If you're going to have all these outfit customization options, might as well go all the way.

CorySchmitz

let it go.

Um.

Anyways, yeah it's super lame to have four playable characters & not one woman. Especially with the massive budget & workforce behind that game.

let it go.

I hope you don't last long here.

Anyway, given the multiplayer aspect of this title female characters should be a given. They have no effect on the plot (the characters) in most cases so the workload would be negligeble, and if the voicework is all being provided by the player (which it should) then all we're talking about here is animations and modeling which is a small price to pay for some decent PR. Not like there's anything inherently realistic about parkour assassin's anyway.

Dead

well not really...yet
Its very disappointing.

The Previous AC games Multiplayer had many strong female character designs and models. I don't understand what's so hard about adding them here. Makes no sense.

Shinypogs

Aren't women's rights a big part of this time period and setting, wouldn't having at least one playable female make a lot of sense then?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
representation is important

there are FOUR male characters

jesus christ gaf what the fuck

They got 4 games worth of representation; both in singleplayer and multiplayer.

They've had enough.

/s to the last sentence

MavFan619

Banned
Hmm I figured character creation was part of single player now? I don't like the excuse I like having the option seems outiright lazy if females were part of multiplayer in the past.

I don't personally care about being able to play as a woman. AC has a lot more female characters than other series (AC:L, multiplayer characters). It's not right, but a lot of games get away with it, and it's odd to single out AC.

JDSN

Banned
Im glad at the very least they are being honest and saying its hard; they obviously mean hard in the sense that its not worth it for them, but its better than the DICE excuse of "Not enough memory".

most games have only playable men. why they are making a fuzz about playable women ?

let it go.

Also, AC on Vita had a female lead.

I wouldnt make that kind of posts with that junior tag still on if I were you.

CorySchmitz

Aren't women's rights a big part of this time period and setting, wouldn't having at least one playable female make a lot of sense then?

Also:

Screen%20Shot%202014-06-11%20at%201.31.50%20AM.png

indivisible

Neo Member
I thought maybe this was the year we would get a female assassin after Mary in AC4. It makes sense with the story to have one playable character but they don't have to be a guy. Maybe the last gen version if there is actually going to be one?

Frolow

Banned
What a shitty excuse, it honestly can't be that time consuming to make a new character model. I'm sure one of those 9 teams working on the game could've done it.

Their response is idiotic too. From a PR standpoint, all they would've had to say is that "it doesn't fit the narrative" or some other excuse like that and Ubisoft would have easily gotten off with less bad press.

~~Hasan~~

—————————————

You create a character in AC Unity.
So, inherently this is preposterous.

They have FOUR playable characters. It really is odd that none of them are women.

Because in a game where the multiplayer has different models, having a woman isn't hard. FFS you can play female soldiers in COD! compare that to the 10 studios working on this game and it is pretty sad.

representation is important

there are FOUR male characters

jesus christ gaf what the fuck

Stop trolling, it's only nine studios.

Hmm that's a big mystery.

I get that by why accusing the studio of being sexist etc ? it might be a development choice, or maybe they will reveal about a female option later . but the studio did make a female lead before for AC. so its not like they are against women.

to me this article sounded like some angry woman pissed off she didn't find a female choice in a potentially good AC game.

Im glad at the very least they are being honest and saying its hard; they obviously mean hard in the sense that its not worth it for them, but its better than the DICE excuse of "Not enough memory".

I wouldnt make that kind of posts with that junior tag still on if I were you.

I hope you don't last long here.

Why exactly ? I don't think I said anything wrong or trolling. I was just being honest about the whole situation. why men don't bitch that the lead character in bayonetta is a female for example ? or why there is no Female Lead in GTA ? at least AC did it before.

I get that there are 4 players co op in the new AC and sure adding male / female choice is a good thing. but to call the developers sexist is very wrong when:

- There is a chance a female character will be added later " early development in the game"
- Maybe it was a developers choice on purpose for a plot in the game or whatever
- AC had a lead female before. Which is a proof enough they have no bad intentions.

Tapejara

Add me to the group that's confused by Ubisoft's decision. You'd think they could spare some room in the budget :/.

I don't really like the answer of it's too hard. If they actually wanted to do it, they would have planned for it accordingly. I just don't buy that a 9 studio development team couldn't add in a female assassin because it's too much work.

Ouren

I get that by why accusing the studio of being sexist etc ? it might be a development choice, or maybe they will reveal about a female option later . but the studio did make a female lead before for AC. so its not like they are against women.

to me this article sounded like some angry woman pissed off she didn't find a female choice in a potentially good AC game.

You're a potentially bad guy.

One has probably gotten lost in the shuffle somewhere y'know.

That's why they all have to hold hands on field trips

If I had to say a reason, nobody in Ubisoft felt like writing in a female character. Probably didn't fit with their vision of the time period - and considering the disposability of the various Assassins in this one, it's just a non-issue to them most likely.

Should they of? I guess - frankly if the characters matter so little to Ubisoft that they don't introduce the other 3 at E3, just make them customizable at that point.

But ultimately, this feels like a non issue written by somebody who wants hits off of the biggest release for 2014.

Ouren

If I had to say a reason, nobody in Ubisoft felt like writing in a female character. Probably didn't fit with their vision of the time period - and considering the disposability of the various Assassins in this one, it's just a non-issue to them most likely.

Should they of? I guess - frankly if the characters matter so little to Ubisoft that they don't introduce the other 3 at E3, just make them customizable at that point.

But ultimately, this feels like a non issue written by somebody who wants hits off of the biggest release for 2014.

Again, no one wrote the characters. You make a damned character.

Frolow

Banned

I honestly think it didn't cross their minds at all during development. Doubt there's sexist intentions behind the decision.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
We got a female lead in Liberation.

A handheld offshoot (practically).

And you could dress her up.

...And use your looks to seduce guards (to kill).

...and...

Nevermind.

Giolon

Maybe they looked at the expected increase in sales vs the increased cost of resource production and concluded it wasn't worthwhile?

I say this as someone who found Avelyn to be their most interesting AC protagonist.

fernoca

I do remember reading sometime ago that the Assassins' Creed games (especially the Ezio trilogy) were apparently a huge success thanks in part to the female players....having a crush on Ezio and enjoying playing as him. While the option would've been amazing, maybe is one of the reasons is not as high in their list of priorities at the moment, hence the "it's hard" line.

Maybe the sales of Liberation on Vita and the HD re-release weren't as high so they assume there's no interest in playing as female assassins'...

Then again, that would've been a better excuse than "it's hard'. Though I don't work in the game so who knows...but seeing they have hundreds of people and multiple studios working on it don't know if it would've make things... harder.

Granted, who knows if between now and October they'll add a female character. Maybe it was part of the plan, maybe it will be added for the sake of saving face...we'll see.

BigDug13

If this is "create a character", isn't this akin to Bethesda not allowing female character creation in Elder Scrolls?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Again, no one wrote the characters. You make a damned character.

I was under the impression that you simply had more customization choice with the character(s). You don't just make a random guy, otherwise the PC wouldn't have a name and his own characterization.

Its not like they actually make a woman model for any AC game mostly everyone that moves have the same moveset as your assassin.

Why then just import the AC brotherhood female assassins models.

So they chose to maybe lose a market of potential female players who will only play as females and some men that want both options.

So what? Marketing decision. Poor press but hardly controversial.

Kinsei

Banned

You create your own character. There is no excuse for the game not having a female option.

Nemesis_

Surely they could repurpose some animations from the inevitable multiplayer mode too. Those usually feature more than half a cast of playable females.

Ass Creed is like CoD to Ubisoft they don't dare deviate from a successful formula.

Everyone that thinks it's an easy decision should think about the major consequences such a change can have. There is a reason why most main characters in a game are white male/female.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom