• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Assassin’s Creed: Unity’s has no playable women?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
tumblr_m21qfm3UPj1qfh451o1_400.gif

:lol

I don't really like the answer of it's too hard. If they actually wanted to do it, they would have planned for it accordingly. I just don't buy that a 9 studio development team couldn't add in a female assassin because it's too much work.

I agree with this, but at the same time I can't care less if the game has male or female leads.

Bucca

Ass Creed is like CoD to Ubisoft they don't dare deviate from a successful formula.

Everyone that thinks it's an easy decision should think about the major consequences such a change can have. There is a reason why most main characters in a game are white male/female.

Advanced Warfare looks like a pretty significant deviation from the standard CoD-fare.

White Knights to the rescue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are people forgetting you play as a female character in AC Liberation, it's not that they don't want to have female characters?

Why can't I play as a male character in:

Tomb Raider
Transistor
Lightning Returns
Beyond Two Souls
Gone Home
Remember Me
AC3 Liberation
Gravity Rush
Portal
Bayonetta
Metroid
Mirrors Edge
Heavenly Sword
FF X-2?

Is it because, for the most part, the stories were written for women characters and not to have interchangeable generic male/female characters?

A story written for a male character, OMG SEXIST.

Nemesis_

Ass Creed is like CoD to Ubisoft they don't dare deviate from a successful formula.

Everyone that thinks it's an easy decision should think about the major consequences such a change can have. There is a reason why most main characters in a game are white male/female.

I'm not convinced there will be "major consequences". Nobody is going to look at a game and say Oh HEY I COULD CREATE A FEMALE CHARACTER and then put it down or boycott the franchise.

At least I hope nobody would :|

Again, no one wrote the characters. You make a damned character.

Does your character not say anything in the game? Do they not have scripted interactions with other characters?

I'm not defending Ubi's decision, it's not really that defensible, but my guess based on the series is the characters are still written, they just use your customized (Male only) characters in the cutscenes.

mechphree

most games have only playable men. why they are making a fuzz about playable women ?

is this article written by female ?

let it go.

Also, AC on Vita had a female lead.

Oh your one of those ...anyways

Why not give woman or people who want to play the game a choice? If they have 9 development studios and all these resources would it be that hard to re-skin a female character?

Sai-kun

Banned
People really will find just about anything to complain about now.

are posts like these not the most ridiculous things ever? i'm seriously not trying to backseat mod, but nothing makes my blood boil like a good ol' "who cares?!" or "omg sjw's!" or "i don't care" post.

Are people forgetting you play as a female character in AC Liberation, it's not that they don't want to have female characters?

Tomb Raider
Transistor
Lightning Returns
Beyond Two Souls
Gone Home
Remember Me
AC3 Liberation
Gravity Rush
Portal
Bayonetta
Metroid
Mirrors Edge
Heavenly Sword
FF X-2?

Is it because, for the most part, the stories were written for women and not to have interchangeable generic male/female characters?

now go write us a list of games featuring male main characters

bye

probably because they didn't want to do something half assed like make a "Ms. Male Character" option and there would've had to be so many differences to account for in the game to make a proper female lead.

Liberation has a female lead, though.

Oh and this:

Anyhow just shut up and pick a male character instead!

is just a bit much.

Considering Ubisoft plans to rehash the Assassin's Creed series on an annual basis you'd think they'd have incorporated a female version of the main character into their pipeline so that the games could offer that...

Tapejara

I highly doubt the sales potential of an Assassin's Creed game would be marred by having the option for a female character. Hell, I doubt it would effect sales of most games...

Frolow

Banned
are posts like these not the most ridiculous things ever? i'm seriously not trying to backseat mod, but nothing makes my blood boil like a good ol' "who cares?!" or "omg sjw's!" or "i don't care" post.

bye

Why are you being so passive aggressive?

Oh your one of those ...anyways

Why not give woman or people who want to play the game a choice? If they have 9 development studios and all these resources would it be that hard to re-skin a female character?

It's not simply reskinning there would be additional coding, the story would have to be rewritten to make sense from two different character perspectives, and of course the artwork and animation, it really would be a significant investment.

Damn, I didn't realize it wasn't a choice. Not what I'd call a 'Pre-order cancelled!' but it's disappointing we don't have this option, as I prefer to play as a female if given the choice. As to the reasons for this, I'm apt to give Ubi the benefit of the doubt. Choosing to not put in a women based on some idiotic sexist reason seems more far fetched to me than budgeting reasons.

JDSN

Banned

Tomb Raider
Transistor
Lightning Returns
Beyond Two Souls
Gone Home
Remember Me
AC3 Liberation
Gravity Rush
Portal
Bayonetta
Metroid
Mirrors Edge
Heavenly Sword
FF X-2?

Is it because, for the most part, the stories were written for women and not to have interchangeable generic male/female characters?

The fact that you probably worked so hard to come out with such a miserably small list that covers over 20 years of games to do your little trolling makes a case for what the "White Knights" are saying, what a den of immature people this board has turned into.

Bucca

It's funny that now of all times it seems like more people are complaining about there not being a female option in Assassin's Creed.

All male, all the time (barring multiplayer), except for Liberation. Am I saying it's right? No, but it's nothing new guys.

DrunkDan

Watch the last gen game (Comet?) have a female main character and then get tons of complaints from people saying they've been alienated and not catered for.

mechphree

probably because they didn't want to do something half assed like make a "Ms. Male Character" option and there would've had to be so many differences to account for in the game to make a proper female lead.

Liberation has a female lead, though.

Oh and this:

is just a bit much.

So the reasoning is laziness?

I just don't understand with all their resources, money and talent they just couldn't offer the option other then "oh it's just to hard".

Maybe they looked at the expected increase in sales vs the increased cost of resource production and concluded it wasn't worthwhile?

I say this as someone who found Avelyn to be their most interesting AC protagonist.

Bingo, it's a business driven decision. There are certainly female gamers out there, but there probably aren't enough on the fence about buying the game due solely on having a female playable character to make it worth it.

It takes new models, voice acting and possibly animations. Not trivial or free.

ElNarez

Banned
Aren't women's rights a big part of this time period and setting, wouldn't having at least one playable female make a lot of sense then?

One of the key events of the era was the assassination of Marat by Charlotte Corday. There's actual historical evidence of a lady assassin doing shady shit and changing the course of history. There's a fucking tailor-made way to take inspiration from that and put women in. It is inexcusable bullshit.

I'm not convinced there will be "major consequences". Nobody is going to look at a game and say Oh HEY I COULD CREATE A FEMALE CHARACTER and then put it down or boycott the franchise.

At least I hope nobody would :|

Yeah but AC is not a game that follows YOUR CREATED character. It follows the life of a character carefully written by Ubisoft to entertain their biggest target audience (because $$$).

Ass Creed is a cash-cow and Ubi won't invest in it by the looks of it. Talking about all the recycled animations for the main character.

Bucca

One of the key events of the era was the assassination of Marat by Charlotte Corday. There's actual historical evidence of a lady assassin doing shady shit and changing the course of history. There's a fucking tailor-made way to take inspiration from that and put women in. It is inexcusable bullshit.

I would put money on her being an important character in the story.

Kinsei

Banned
It's funny that now of all times it seems like more people are complaining about there not being a female option in Assassin's Creed.

All male, all the time (barring multiplayer), except for Liberation. Am I saying it's right? No, but it's nothing new guys.

I never played Revelations so correct me if I'm wrong, but the other AC games didn't feature a character creator.

Buzzman

Banned

Tomb Raider
Transistor
Lightning Returns
Beyond Two Souls
Gone Home
Remember Me
AC3 Liberation
Gravity Rush
Portal
Bayonetta
Metroid
Mirrors Edge
Heavenly Sword
FF X-2?

That's cool, now give me the list where the protagonist is male.
What's that? It's every other fucking game ever made?

Weird how 50% of the population consists of girls/women yet they only make up like 0.5% of games huh?

NinjaBoiX

I couldn't care less, it seems like a complete non-issue to me but I suppose I can see why it would bother some.

Meh.

While it's certainly not equal, I'd say female-leads are having a renaissance right now. You have to consider the fact that there more males than females gaming, and even fewer females into "hardcore" gaming. Media usually mirrors it's audience. I don't think we'll ever have 50/50 male/female leads.

Just look at movies. Most movies that involve action usually have a male lead.

Sai-kun

Banned
Why are you being so passive aggressive?

i think i'm being pretty direct in calling out bad posts i've seen in this thread.

fake edit: seems that everyone sees themselves as arnaud, which i guess...makes this 'okay'. still the worst excuse i've ever heard but

Bucca

I never played Revelations so correct me if I'm wrong, but the other AC games didn't feature a character creator.

The character creator is for co-op is it not?

The main lead of this story is Arno.

Correct me if I am wrong.

mechphree

It's not simply reskinning there would be additional coding, the story would have to be rewritten to make sense from two different character perspectives, and of course the artwork and animation, it really would be a significant investment.

But that's bullshit. I mean I get it, but it's still just lazy dev bullshit.
They could have just re-skinned woman characters and it would have been perfectly fine. Instead they just decided to omit them all together, which is strange.

Coolade

I believe people tried to attack Rockstar for doing the same thing. Writing 3 male lead characters. Then they went on to sell 35 million copies.
Isn't forcing female characters onto a development teams vision for a game equally as wrong as purposely omitting it? Aiden Pierce was a prototypical standard white male protagonist that was stale and boring. I admit I'd like more variety, but it's not that upsetting. AC has a history of incorporating female leads. AC4 DLC was dedicated to such. These things seem to be blown out of proportion.

maneil99

Wouldn't a female play differently and need different animations? Didn't the female in AC:L rely more on stealth vs combat.

Wiktor

I don't know where people got the idea that devs are somehow obligated to provide female character.

woen

Female representation in video games doesn't stop at a playable or non-playable character. I bet that one more time, the script writers underlined the weight of the women in the historical events, as far as they can do it in a game.

What part is artificial?

Women are insufficiently represented in games.

It seems you can't win these days when releasing a trailer or some gameplay, all the shit starts to hit the fan, either the game is racist, or it is sexist, or it does not paint life correctly, and in this case with Assassin's Creed latest game it is where did the women go?

Same shitty controversy every time with the same shitty argument on both sides.

The fact that you probably worked so hard to come out with such a miserably small list that covers over 20 years of games to do your little trolling makes a case for what the "White Knights" are saying, what a den of immature people this board has turned into.

Funny how people are pre-judging me despite not knowing me or my opinions. I could have listed any number of other games but I am not a walking encyclopedia, I had to go and look for games to list.

bye

Maybe if you had less of a persecution complex you wouldn't react so ridiculously. I am gay but I don't shout it from the rooftops or display it in avatars.

I am not saying the problem doesn't exist, I am also not saying I don't care, but I am sick of people whining about not having a female playable character.

Assassins Creed is hardly a pinnacle of storytelling, it has no female playable character because no one wrote a female playable character, that's not to say they have some agenda and didn't write one on purpose, it just happens that this story doesn't have one.

Would I like to have options, yes. Does it bother me if I don't, yes. I won't force someone to write a character or story in a way that they wouldn't naturally write just so we can fill a quota.

Bucca

Wouldn't a female play differently and need different animations? Didn't the female in AC:L rely more on stealth vs combat.

Well, "stealth".

Largely consisted of dressing up in different outfits for certain things.

Goldenhen

Since there is no multiplayer in this game, they should have made at least one playable female assassin out of the four.

Sai-kun

Banned
Maybe if you had less of a persecution complex you wouldn't react so ridiculously. I am gay but I don't shout it from the rooftops or display it in avatars.

I am not saying the problem doesn't exist, I am also not saying I don't care, but I am sick of people whining about not having a female playable character.

Assassins Creed is hardly a pinnacle of storytelling, it has no female playable character because no one wrote a female playable character, that's not to say they have some agenda and didn't write one on purpose, it just happens that this story doesn't have one.

Would I like to have options, yes. Does it bother me if I don't, yes. I won't force someone to write a character or story in a way that they wouldn't naturally write just so we can fill a quota.

im really proud of you

Kinsei

Banned
The character creator is for co-op is it not?

The main lead of this story is Arno.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Even if the character creator is co-op only, why can't I be a woman in co-op? It's not like it would be confusing as they mark your team mates so you don;t try and kill them anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom