• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV MIGHT be coming to Xbox One

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Final Fantasy XIV could be coming to Xbox One after all, Yoshida confirms Microsoft talks

Although reports circulated last year claiming that Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn will never be released for Xbox One or Xbox 360, Pocket-lint has found out otherwise.

Producer and director of the Japanese MMORPG Naoki Yoshida gave Xbox owners a glimmer of hope in a chat with us during the E3 trade show in Los Angeles. Through a Square Enix interpreter, Yoshida told us that the company is in talks with Microsoft over the restrictive Xbox Live rules that currently prevent massively multiplayer games from working across platforms. If successful, the game will be released for, at the very least, the Xbox One.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/129355-final-fantasy-xiv-could-be-coming-to-xbox-one-after-all-yoshida-confirms-microsoft-talks?utm_source=pocketlint&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

BigDug13

Good. It's also preventing them from getting games like War Thunder. They really need to relax that "no cross-play allowed" policy.

mikefizzled

Neo Member
Its odd to think Shadowrun had cross play of 360 and PC. And that Happy Wars has 360 and One but we are still having this issue today.

Aeana

Its odd to think Shadowrun had cross play of 360 and PC. And that Happy Wars has 360 and One but we are still having this issue today.
FF11 was on 360.
But MS changed policies after that and they could no longer come to an agreement about crossplay and subscriptions/Gold, etc.

Falk

that puzzling face
Sounds like Microsoft being knocked off their guaranteed perch did wonders for their outlook in the long run. Both this and efforts to make amends with the indie development community are both really solid steps in a healthier ecosystem.

Artorias

Banned
So this could potentially be cross play with PS3/4? That's crazy! Would be awesome.

Was FF 11 cross play between PS2/360?

Aeana

So this could potentially be cross play with PS3/4? That's crazy! Would be awesome.

Was FF 11 cross play between PS2/360?
Yes. And this would be too. It's a requirement for how the game works, they won't release it on the system unless they can get that.

SE is definitely eager to have it on the Xbone.

All that's in their way is one of MS's (in a long line of) "cut off the nose to spite the face" policies; "Launch parity" anyone?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i wonder if sony's agreement allows for Xbox cross play? Maybe they only signed because they knew it would be PS/PC only?

Busty

Banned
Yoshida told us that the company is in talks with Microsoft over the restrictive Xbox Live rules that currently prevent massively multiplayer games from working across platforms. If successful, the game will be released for, at the very least, the Xbox One.

This feels like a total non story. Presumably with all the real news stories out of the way we're now down to the scraps and crumbs.

Guess Who

Banned
FF11 was on 360.
But MS changed policies after that and they could no longer come to an agreement about crossplay and subscriptions/Gold, etc.

I kind of got the impression FF11 was always an exception to the rule and possibly an attempt to appeal to the Japanese market.

aravuus

Kept reading it as FF XV and was wondering how it's possible this thread has less than a half a page of replies after two hours

The servers are already overcrowded and laggy enough as it is. We don't want any Bone players piling in and making it worse amirite?

FF11 was on 360.

The story I was told is that a special exception was made for FFXI early in the 360's life specifically to get more JP interest. The rule was there before FFXI and it has remained after which is why FFXIV hasn't been able to get the exception that FFXI did.

And yeah, MS has yet to allow F2P/MMO titles to be played by people without Gold. Judging from how successful F2P and MMO have been for PS4 already so early in it's life, MS will have to relax that policy too the same way they finally allowed people without Gold to use Internet Explorer (LOL).

Vashetti

Banned
The more players the better.

MS would of course have to relax their Gold and cross-platform-play policies though.

PS4 and XB1 to have an XIV gay marriage.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The more players the better. Allow crossplay, drop Gold req, and it's perfect.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
This feels like a total non story. Presumably with all the real news stories out of the way we're now down to the scraps and crumbs.

Its a potentially big story with quotes. If you weren't interested why come into the thread to whine about it. Mods will close it if it's rubbish.

ZeroX03

Banned

Ferr986

The servers are already overcrowded and laggy enough as it is. We don't want any Bone players piling in and making it worse amirite?

The story I was told is that a special exception was made for FFXI early in the 360's life specifically to get more JP interest. The rule was there before FFXI and it has remained after which is why FFXIV hasn't been able to get the exception that FFXI did.

And yeah, MS has yet to allow F2P/MMO titles to be played by people without Gold. Judging from how successful F2P and MMO have been for PS4 already so early in it's life, MS will have to relax that policy too the same way they finally allowed people without Gold to use Internet Explorer (LOL).

Well, Phantasy Star Universe allowed to play without Gold too. But it didnt have cross play with PS2/PC. Sega said it was because the 360 had integrated voice chat though...

Good at least they are talking, Yoshi P. always said it wasn't a technical issue stopping FFXIV coming to MS's platforms but a policy one on MS's side. Hopefully this will be the end of this policy and we can all play together regardless of platform.

On one hand I don't want another console dragging down the PS4 and PC versions like PS3 does, but on the other hand I would love new players.

How does the PS3 drag it down?

A few times when players have asked for features we have been told no because of the PS3's memory limitations things like more inventory options and stuff, however recently they have said these feature would come to the PC and PS4 version just not to PS3.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
It is? Didn't know lol, I haven't been following the game cause I've gotten sick of waiting.

It was announced last year during the re-revealing and change of name.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
A few times when players have asked for features we have been told no because of the PS3's memory limitations things like more inventory options and stuff, however recently they have said these feature would come to the PC and PS4 version just not to PS3.

The PS4 can't do anything the XB1 can't. It does everything a bit quicker but they're not fundamentally different.

The PS4 can't do anything the XB1 can't. It does everything a bit quicker but they're not fundamentally different.

You asked how people had the come to the conclusion that the PS3 version dragged it down and I answered, I never mentioned an XB1 version.

As for an XB1 version I'm all for it, the main reason I got a PS4 over the XB1 was for FFXIV. The XB1 is more than capable of running it smoothly. It also means the game is available to a larger player base so that's great for everyone.

They have been in talks before and nothing happened. I'm expecting the same result here.

MS weren't on the back foot before, they are now though. The last time they were on the back foot and trying to keep everyone happy they let SE put FFXI on 360 with cross platform play to keep them happy so they would get their support.

FrankT

FF11 was on 360.

Such an archaic policy and I called for its change back then. I hope they do work something out not only for this title but the potential for many more.

LowerLevel

Honestly, it's crap like this that makes me want to sign up for twitter and blow up Phil's with constant messages of this and this foolishness that is a "Parity" clause. FFXIV should have been available for Xb1 already and I am seriously trying to figure out why MS would have a policy that blocks something like this. Only thing I can come up with is Infrastructure and possible breaches? (I have no idea what I'm talking about btw...)

i wonder if sony's agreement allows for Xbox cross play? Maybe they only signed because they knew it would be PS/PC only?

To be honest I don't think so, seeing they allow Xbox 360 saves to work on the PS4.

And when it comes to MMO crossplay between different consoles? I think this gen will force MS and Sony to play nice when it comes to these. The budget AAA MMO games need will most of the big ones go multiplatform. Would be stupid to segregate the players.

Fraxin

I thought they tried talking to Microsoft about it and they refused before. I wonder if their response will change this time

Ridley327

I kind of got the impression FF11 was always an exception to the rule and possibly an attempt to appeal to the Japanese market.

That was part of it, but the biggest reason was so they had a Final Fantasy on their console before Sony did on the PS3. Before FFXIII poisoned the well, this was a pretty damn big deal, hence the reactions to when FFXIII was finally announced for the system.

Haven't they mentioned being "in talks" with Microsoft since the very begin? Problem is Microsoft never budges.

Though Microsoft has finally budged on a lot, lately, so if it's ever going to happen, now would probably be the time.

Zarx

I thought they tried talking to Microsoft about it and they refused before. I wonder if their response will change this time

Xbox is under new management, and have been doing 180s on policies left and right. There is a decent chance

Its a potentially big story with quotes. If you weren't interested why come into the thread to whine about it. Mods will close it if it's rubbish.

It's not that big a story if you play the game and have been keeping up to date with Yoshi-P's Live Letters.

It has long been known SE wants the game on the Xbone, but MS's backward policies makes it a no-go.

I won't be surprise SE's constant bringing up of the topic is a way to put pressure on MS to enter the year 2014.

Top Bottom