• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Director says Final Fantasy 9 references in FF14 Dawntrail are a ‘secret’, amid remake reports

Draugoth

Gold Member
Final Fantasy 14 director Naoki Yoshida has said that the reason for many references to Final Fantasy 9 in the upcoming expansion is a “secret”.

“You may have noticed a lot of Final Fantasy 9 references here… the reason is a secret,” Yoshida said at PAX East while announcing several pre-order and digital bonuses for Final Fantasy 14 Dawntrail that reference the game.

In 2021, a Final Fantasy 9 remake was one of many unannounced titles listed in a GeForce Now database leak.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
secret stephen colbert GIF

Ozzie666

I still think FF9 was overall forgettable. Poor main character. Vivi and Steiner kept the game interesting. Maybe it was because it was later
In the life cycle or Zidane was boring .

FF8 would benefit more from fixing the plot holes. Much as people dislike Squall, his weapon is iconic. Great musical acts too.

sigmaZ

I still think FF9 was overall forgettable. Poor main character. Vivi and Steiner kept the game interesting. Maybe it was because it was later
In the life cycle or Zidane was boring .

FF8 would benefit more from fixing the plot holes. Much as people dislike Squall, his weapon is iconic. Great musical acts too.
Yeah. By the time it came out I was started to feel detached from most JRPGs. The early Playstation days had so many hard hitters and so many of the late Playstation era games were too experimental for my tastes though they often had nice aesthetics and music. PS2 only cemented that JRPGs were not for me anymore and I didn't get back into them really until games like FF 13 and Xenoblade came out. Recently the genre has been going through somewhat of a renaissance and I've had some of the best gaming experiences of my adult life, so I've lost most nostalgia for the old stuff. That all said I think both 8 and 9 would be fantastic with remakes. 8 has so many good concepts that could actually work in an actiony combat system and nine could definately be livened up.

Kumomeme

obviously this is relate to the Dawntrail content has something taken from FF9 universe.

Endwalker for example has lot of homege to FF4. the preorder minion also has Porom and Parom from the game. same goes here. doubt it has anything to do with the rumoured remake but would be a nice marketing if it exist.

ffxiv-endwalker-collectors-edition-3.jpg

ffxiv-endwalker-collectors-edition-4.jpg

Last edited:

Myths

Playing on the hype I bet. Best to let people’s imagination run wild without so much as saying a word.

Elios83

Really looking forward to the announcement although probably it will have a much smaller scope than something like FF7R.
And at that point if they have to create so-so looking full 3D environments ala Crisis Core remaster maybe it would be better to just stick with completely re-rerendered HD backgrounds and super detailed 3D models. Basically something like RE Remake, I think it would be cool to see what can be done with pre-rendered backgrounds today, they could be full of animations.

Last edited:

TexMex

It was in the Nvidia leak, so we pretty well know it's coming.

I don't know why but I've always had really extreme nostalgia for IX. Maybe because it took itself a little less seriously than 7/8 and brought some of the light hearted fun back into FF. All indicators point to it being a much smaller scale, traditional remake and that's exactly what I'm hoping for.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It was in the Nvidia leak, so we pretty well know it's coming.

I don't know why but I've always had really extreme nostalgia for IX. Maybe because it took itself a little less seriously than 7/8 and brought some of the light hearted fun back into FF. All indicators point to it being a much smaller scale, traditional remake and that's exactly what I'm hoping for.
More fun + lighthearted story, awesome visual design, tons of charm without feeling like shameless nostalgia bait. And most importantly, characters with some actual charisma and believable human emotions.

Top Bottom