• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Darkwatch

A_Gorilla

Banned
150459-Darkwatch_(USA)-1.jpg

darkwatch-does-playboy-20040910043918033-000.jpg

Darkwatch_gameplay.jpg

DarkwatchPlay.png

Anyone else remember this game? I still remember in 2005 the hype for this game was EVERYWHERE (at least too me it seemed that way). Play and PSM (which I subscribed too at the time) had full articles devoted too it, one of the characters appeared on Playboy, and after the awesomeness that was Red Dead Revolver, I was hyped for another western themed game.

But then...I just never played it.

Sadly for this game 2005 was also the year of God of War, GT4, Killzone (I bought on sale for $19.99, and SoulCalibur III, all of which took up my video game for the whole year, by which point I forgot about this game.

Not almost 10 years later I'm looking up this game again and seeing if I missed out on something special. Apparently it got good reviews but a sequel was cancelled due to not good enough sales, and judging by the concept art it would have been kickass.

So what's GAF's opinion of Darkwatch? Should I find a way to play it or was it just another over-hyped FPS?

I don't remember too much but, I played co-op with my best friend at the time and it was fun enough. Of course back then I was easily pleased.

nelchaar

Hell to the bloody yes OP, I've played it and was one of the rare games I finished on PS2. My favorite FPS of all time.

Didn't think anyone else played it. Wish it got a sequel.

Damn great game.

G-Fex

It's a fine awesome first person shooter I play occasionally. Played it a few months ago. Really fun in the vein of painkiller.

The marketing for this game was stupid as hell though.

Tokubetsu

Haha I think I still have that issue of Play in a box somewhere. I also have a t-shirt from the beta/fanclub thing they had at the time.

I played it for the first time earlier this year. It's not noteworthy at all gameplay-wise, but the horror aesthetic was a good enough hook to make it worthwhile for me. It's just one of those alright bargain bin games that won't ruin your evening if you play it.

I miss the Capcom that used to push games they didn't make/fund themselves.

Flipnic, Way of the Samurai 2, Everblue 2, Bombastic.
Good times.

A_Gorilla

Banned
I remember there being a large amount of controversy regarding the sex scene. Funny because its tame as hell considering what I've seen some game series get away with (looking at you God of War).

RiverBed

Banned
I liked that game. It was the gaming-news dark ages so I picked it up on the cover and premise alone.
Do I remember correctly that it had a sequel? I remember one of the earliest 'next-gen/PS3' game pics was of the sequel (or remake).
Fun times.

Shauni

I had totally forgotten about this game. Good memory jog. I recall enjoying it, though my memory is fairly hazy about everything. Actually, I may still have my copy of the game. I have a big box filled with PS2 games. Not sure if was among my huge selling purge a few years back or not.

And the Playboy thing I'd forgotten about, too. Wasn't BloodRayne also promoted through that? And that Leisure Suit Larry game that everyone seems to hate?

it will never be confused with that game, because no one played it and it's total shit. whereas darkwatch is really nice.

Haha yeah, I don't know what that guy is talking about.

Darkwatch was amazing. Beat it 5 times and it combined possibly alot of things that i love, Western, Vampires and a gothic tone to it. Not only that but it played like a Painkiller game with the same awesome and funny physics. It helped that it also looked gorgeous with lots of variety within the levels and not to mention the badass weapons!

11142012161.jpg

darkwatch-20041013043519626-000.jpg

1101291182.jpg

darkwatch_05_multi_04.jpg

new-darkwatch-screens-20050630030553604.jpg

Those were the golden Capcom days. A very underrated FPS but an amazing one at that.

EDIT: I forgot to say, It also had great boss battles!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Darkwatch was a fine game indeed. Have the PS2 version somewhere, so I need to dig it out. It was vampire cowboys shooting undead monsters. I mean, that alone makes it awesome. Also helped that the game had pretty damn good graphics for being a PS2 game.

batbeg

Never even heard of this. I'm assuming it's not a PS2 Classic and thus I shall never play it, but it looks cool.

There was a lot to like about this game (the art style and general concept are awesome), but the "morality" system was hilariously inept. It's like they literally ran out of time and just threw a menu in at the last second.

Games great and still stands out as unique in its genre, I mean western, vampire, horror!! If only fps games would be so bold these days. We need more games like Darkwatch. Also highmoon studios made it, so makes sense why it plays good.

An-Det

This was one of many games my dad bought on a whim, I ended up really enjoying it and followed High Moon Studios' games since then. It's a really unique game, I always wanted to see more like it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I was kinda hype for it. I was a member of the community site that was promoting the game. I bought it and played it at launch. It was pretty good and had some interesting ideas.

dlauv

I played this a couple of years back and got stuck on the last boss. I put it up and forgot to resume before getting rid of it.

It was pretty much like a lesser Halo, but more sequenced and in corridors. The sexual themes in the game seemed really forced and made me cringe. There are some decision mechanics that affect the story and your power growth going through.

Not really worth hunting down unless you like the subject matter.

codhand

meh. first level was on rails, or hooves or something wasnt it? didnt seem bad, but not exceptional. painkiller is better.

SURGEdude

Actually played this up at my cabin last summer and finally beat it after picking it up around launch. Only system I have up there is my trusty OG Xbox and I was surprised how well the game held up. Anytime you can play an FPS that isn't grey modern combat feels like a breath of relief.

Glad I had it too because it rained the whole damn time and I somehow forgot my Vita. Of course I was playing on a CRT, so YMMV, but my experience was fun and the gameplay is modern enough where you don't have to adjust as much as I had expected.

On a random side note I had forgotten the OG had click-sticks. That was nice to be reminded of because it's the one thing that drives me nuts about the GC Wavebird's I use from time to time.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I had it for the Xbox back in 2006. I liked it but the level design could have been better. Still, a great game and wish a sequel was made.

Mrgamer

Titanlfall was the one i waited for so long,needless to say that a ps4 was bought and after a week of release date it no longer was in my memories.

Top Bottom