• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome the Queen Zelda (Hyrule Warriors) - Anouma, Koinuma and Hayashi Interview

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I posted this in the Zelda trailer thread too, but I think it is thread worthy as it is an interesting interview.

http://mmgn.com/wiiu/articles--hyrule-warriors-interview-aonuma-koinuma-and

Mr. Hayashi: In Hyrule Warriors Princess Zelda is actually Queen Zelda. She has an army, as a Queen would, and Link is a trainee, but as the story unfolds the relationship between the two greatly changes.

With so many different playable characters, do players pick who they're playing as or do they automatically change as the story unfolds?
Mr. Koinuma: As you progress through the story, the characters unlock. So you're able to play with different characters as the story progresses and most of the stages have fixed characters, so you play with certain characters depending on the stages – but then there are some stages in which you can choose which character to play as.

Did that freedom lead to any unexpected surprises you never expected to see with Zelda characters?
Mr. Aonuma: Oh yeah! [laughs]
There were times when I saw things that exceeded even my imagination. In the same way the progress on development showed me a lot of surprises, and left me in awe, I think Zelda fans will experience the same feelings of surprise when they get to play Hyrule Warriors .

We haven't incorporated the more traditional puzzle-solving elements that fans are used to seeing in the Zelda universe. You know, the puzzles that tend to take more time and more thought to complete didn't really fit Dynasty Warriors . So we don't have the traditional puzzle-solving of Zelda , but there are puzzle-solving elements built upon the essence of Zelda puzzles, but it takes place in the expansive battlefield.

Mr. Hayashi: The basis is still the traditional Dynasty Warriors controls, but we have included essential Legend of Zelda controls like L-Targeting because we know Zelda players are going to want to target single enemies.
The button layout is for the most part the Dynasty Warriors control scheme, but per Mr. Aonuma's input, we made sure to include the essential Zelda control inputs.
As for the GamePad, because there are so many items, we made it possible using the touchscreen for players to choose those items, but you can also use the Control Pad to change items as well if you don't want to take your right hand away from the controls or move your hand off of the GamePad.

L~A

Mr. Hayashi: In Hyrule Warriors Princess Zelda is actually Queen Zelda

I don't think it means much, because apparently, she's also a queen in the Japanese version of A Link Between Worlds.

And I have to say, it was time she became queen! :p

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
All Hail Queen Zelda
EWmof.gif

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't think it means much, because apparently, she's also a queen in the Japanese version of A Link Between Worlds.

Yeah, but does she command an army? :p

Edit: actually she does in Twilight Princess, but she's not playable.

We'll see if she ends up being a queen in the English localisation. I recall Zelda being queen in the 3DS game as well, but it was changed in our translation.

[edit]
Can't really seem to find a source for it, but I read it here on GAF, and I see someone brought the same thing up a few posts before me.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So the Queen is having that close a relationship with a knight? (Not even a trained one, if the synopsis is to be believed.)

Damn.

About time she became a Queen, too.

EDIT: She's a Queen in the Japanese version of ALBW? Why did they change it for the American release!? I didn't know Nintendo's localization team still liked to screw with the translation...

Yonafunu

Did that freedom lead to any unexpected surprises you never expected to see with Zelda characters?
Mr. Aonuma: Oh yeah! [laughs]
There were times when I saw things that exceeded even my imagination. In the same way the progress on development showed me a lot of surprises, and left me in awe, I think Zelda fans will experience the same feelings of surprise when they get to play Hyrule Warriors .

I feel like Aonuma is very easy to surprise, for some reason.

Mr-Joker

Banned
They never show her parents, so I guess this makes sense.

We saw her father in Link to the Past, Minish Cap and was mentioned in Ocarina of Time.

EDIT: She's a Queen in the Japanese version of ALBW? Why did they change it for the American release!? I didn't know Nintendo's localization team still liked to screw with the translation...

Blame Disney, his movies gave the impression that Princess are young and beautiful and that Queens are old.

Until Elsa came along and shatter imaged.

Rogultgot

So no King of Red Lions (or whatever his human name was)? Unless he's the King-father of Red Lions, or his daughter is also his wife...

And I have to say, it was time she became queen! :p

if it was not translated the same in the west it was a copout so does not count so much

CTLance

Things I learned about the Zelda universe today: Zelda is a legit Queen now.

Interesting. Doesn't change much, but hey, neat useless knowledge.

CassSept

You can always tell someone who actually plays Zelda games, and someone who played Zelda games maybe once or twice and never got very far.

Yeah, after all who can forget this dashing ol' fellow

King_Harkinian.png

Zelda's father must have appeared in like half of all Zelda games though by now

Yeah, after all who can forget this dashing ol' fellow

King_Harkinian.png

Zelda's father must have appeared in like half of all Zelda games though by now

He's been only mentioned in the manuals of some games, is mention but never directly seen in Ocarina of Time, appears in the intro and ending of A Link to the Past, and plays an important role in The Wind Waker.

ReturnOfTheKing.png

Daphnes_Nohansen_Hyrule.png

Things I learned about the Zelda universe today: Zelda is a legit Queen now.

Interesting. Doesn't change much, but hey, neat useless knowledge.

at least this game is much closer to being connected to the Zelda Universe than CDi games but I feel bad that it is not canon

In Hyrule Warriors Princess Zelda is actually Queen Zelda. She has an army, as a Queen would

If having an army was all that was different between being a queen and princess, then she was already "Queen" in TP given her forces fought Zant prior to the game beginning proper.

Mr-Joker

Banned
He's been only mentioned in the manuals of some games, is mention but never directly seen in Ocarina of Time, appears in the intro and ending of A Link to the Past, and plays an important role in The Wind Waker.

ReturnOfTheKing.png

He was also in Minish Cap and was the one who ask Link to save Zelda.

You've missed out on some legit good games, you should get on that. Not the ds ones, they can suck it. But gba/gbc - they're on one eshop or another.

Ignore this and get the DS Zelda games or at least Spirit Track.

They are actually good Zelda games.

CassSept

http://zeldawiki.org/images/3/30/ReturnOfTheKing.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081013153811/zelda/images/0/0f/Daphnes_Nohansen_Hyrule.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

OK, after some thought my post was a hyperbole but Zelda's father also appeared in Minish Cap and Skyward Sword. Also to consider is that ALttP's King of Hyrule is by extension King of Hyrule during Oracle games and Link's Awakening and PH Zelda = TWW Zelda so her father is still King of Red Lions. If we're counting mentions there's also Adventure of Link's Zelda's father in the backstory of the game.

Well, she finally queened herself up. Sadly it's only in a non-canon game.
But maybe we also get to see a Queen Zelda in Zelda U. Then everything is okay :)

georly

While it's cool that she's queen, "Princess Zelda" has a better ring to it than "Queen Zelda."

Could be that I'm just used to it.

Bulzeeb

ReturnOfTheKing.png

and he was a kinda important character at the begining of SS

image_39785_thumb_wide610.jpg

he was headmaster and not a king though

Regiruler

He's been only mentioned in the manuals of some games, is mention but never directly seen in Ocarina of Time, appears in the intro and ending of A Link to the Past, and plays an important role in The Wind Waker.]

Are we not counting Headmaster Gaepora from Skyward Sword for some reason?
EDIT: Beaten

Top Bottom