• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCOTUS rules Cell Phones are generally protected from warrantless searches

Status
Not open for further replies.
1gTpJgO.jpg

Hari Seldon

Generally. Generally safe from search and seizure. Where is the line, generally speaking, I wonder.

I read some of it, mainly it sounded like the supreme court was saying more court cases would be needed to establish the reasonable exceptions... like for example if the cell phone was suspected of containing information of immediate need like a kidnapping or something I guess.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/13pdf/13-132_8l9c.pdf

Decision is unanimous. Big win for 4th amendment. Will update after digging into opinion

This deals with the digital content on phones, California wanted the right to dig in to your email, SMS, photos, drop box, icloud accounts, etc because your phone was on your person if you were stopped.
Not stopped. Arrested. There's a big difference.

Personally I wouldn't be so quick to cheer about this. Searching an arrestee's cell phone incident to arrest gives law enforcement officers a lot of good information quickly about crimes that could be ongoing or just committed. So now instead of getting that information that they can act on immediately, they will have to write an affidavit, review it with a prosecutor, see a judge and get a warrant signed which could take hours if not days (especially if the arrest happens on a night or weekend.)

The Llama

Personally I wouldn't be so quick to cheer about this. Searching an arrestee's cell phone incident to arrest gives law enforcement officers a lot of good information quickly about crimes that could be ongoing or just committed. So now instead of getting that information that they can act on immediately, they will have to write an affidavit, review it with a prosecutor, see a judge and get a warrant signed which could take hours if not days (especially if the arrest happens on a night or weekend.)

Its such a massive, massive invasion of privacy though, and the chances of them actually finding anything useful are likely pretty low.

It should be protected. Everything about me is on my smartphone. My banking. My emails. My text conversations between my wife and I. My work. My location history. My calendar. My contacts with names, addresses, phone numbers.

The notion that a cop can just go through that because he wants to is insane.

Gattsu25

Banned

I don't see why this isn't something to cheer over. The data they can extract from your cellphone is greater than what they used to get by searching through your mail. Why would I feel remiss that they now have to acquire a warrant?

According to one poll, nearly three-quarters of smartphone users report being within five feet of their phones most of the time, with 12% admitting that they even use their phones in the shower.
wat

pompidu

In a perfect world, sure.

Youre still not finished reading the opinion I assume?

Roberts addresses many of these points.

Personally I wouldn't be so quick to cheer about this. Searching an arrestee's home incident to arrest gives law enforcement officers a lot of good information quickly about crimes that could be ongoing or just committed. So now instead of getting that information that they can act on immediately, they will have to write an affidavit, review it with a prosecutor, see a judge and get a warrant signed which could take hours if not days (especially if the arrest happens on a night or weekend.)

If you change one word, you're making a good argument for abolishing the 4th.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
It should be protected. Everything about me is on my smartphone. My banking. My emails. My text conversations between my wife and I. My work. My location history. My calendar. My contacts with names, addresses, phone numbers.

This.

There has really been no equivalent to smart phones in the past. Being able to download all the information from someone's smartphone without a warrant is an enormous invasion of privacy.

...if you're arrested.

Its such a massive, massive invasion of privacy though, and the chances of them actually finding anything useful are likely pretty low.
I don't agree with this at all. In fact if you read the very first page of the decision it includes an example of a search incident to arrest of a cell phones that providing immediate and useful information, which will be impossible now.

I don't see why this isn't something to cheer over. The data they can extract from your cellphone is greater than what they used to get by searching through your mail. Why would I feel remiss that they now have to acquire a warrant?
I don't know what you mean by 'remiss', but I think there are a lot of time sensitive situations where the time it will take to obtain a warrant will be harmful to an investigation.

Youre still not finished reading the opinion I assume?

Roberts addresses many of these points.
It's 38 pages long, yes I'm still reading it.

If you change one word, you're making a good argument for abolishing the 4th.
Search incident to arrest never covered a person's home, only items on their person. So I don't think so.

fancimus

Really glad to see this ruling go through, and I also found the unanimous decision to be surprising. It does seem like privacy rights could be one of the most potentially uniting causes in the US. Hopefully this and other efforts continue to grow a coalition of advocates for these issues.

Really glad to see this ruling go through, and I also found the unanimous decision to be surprising. It does seem like privacy rights could be one of the most potentially uniting causes in the US. Hopefully this and other efforts continue to grow a coalition of advocates for these issues.
There seems in my reading a warning to the NSA and other federal agencies about privacy rights in general. This court seems to like the 1st and 4th and hate the 5th

Really surprised areo is getting more comments than this, with all the NSA hoopla and disdane for people "not caring"

Same. You'd think it'd be on the top of Reddit with a bullet what with how outraged that community was about the NSA stuff. Nope. People only care about the news that confirms their biases.

Cat Party

Not surprising at all. The Supreme Court has always been very skeptical about new technologies and tactics used in law enforcement and their potential to violate the right to privacy.

...I got done done giving it a once-over, it looks quite good; kudos to Roberts for getting everyone on board (mostly)

Alito's concurrence, as usual, is a bit strange

I'm also not sure why some are shocked -- a ruling along these lines (not sweeping but mostly against what CA was trying to do) was widely expected, even the conservatives on the Court are prone to accepting convincing 4th amd arguments

eot

Banned

And if we forced everyone to implant location tracking chips we could solve way more crimes, but we don't because that would be going too far in the direction of a security state. Protection of people's privacy is always going to be a hindrance to crime investigations, that's a given.

Dali

Same can be said about any warrantless search. Luckily for us you're not on the supreme Court.

Same. You'd think it'd be on the top of Reddit with a bullet what with how outraged that community was about the NSA stuff. Nope. People only care about the news that confirms their biases.
Wait the whole government isn't leading us down the path to 1984? Must ignore

...I got done done giving it a once-over, it looks quite good; kudos to Roberts for getting everyone on board (mostly)

Alito's concurrence, as usual, is a bit strange

I'm also not sure why some are shocked -- a ruling along these lines (not sweeping but mostly against what CA was trying to do) was widely expected, even the conservatives on the Court are prone to accepting convincing 4th amd arguments
I think people were worried the exceptions were gonna be bigger. That they might accept some of CAs arguments about content on the phone vs the cloud. There was also some silly statements by the justices that were worrying

I think it's interesting that search incident to arrest for cell phones has been around for as long as there were cell phones (the mid nineties?), yet only today has it been ruled to be in violation of the 4th amendment. So if the issue was as clear cut as everyone on here is making it out to be things wouldn't have gone this way for this long. I understand the decision and why it was made, though.

And if we forced everyone to implant location tracking chips we could solve way more crimes, but we don't because that would be going too far in the direction of a security state. Protection of people's privacy is always going to be a hindrance to crime investigations, that's a given.
Implanted tracking chips are a ridiculous example that no one would agree would be constitutional, and is an example you're coming up with just to be absurd.

Same can be said about any warrantless search. Luckily for us you're not on the supreme Court.
I guess so. Of course there will always be exceptions to the 4th amendment, so this is just one less for you to worry about for whatever reason.

Deitus

I think it's interesting that search incident to arrest for cell phones has been around for as long as there were cell phones (the mid nineties?), yet only today has it been ruled to be in violation of the 4th amendment. So if the issue was as clear cut as everyone on here is making it out to be things wouldn't have gone this way for this long. I understand the decision and why it was made, though.

Because cell phones in the 80s and 90s were just phones. The only private information contained on them was call history (and that wasn't even the case for really early cell phones). Modern cell phones have become a completely different thing.

And as technology evolves, the laws are slow to catch up. This is hardly the only example of that.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Tough.

Want to invade someone's phone privacy, get a warrant.

tim.mbp

Exigent circumstances exception still applies though.

Oh hey, ticking bomb scenario, we meet again.

Because cell phones in the 80s and 90s were just phones. The only private information contained on them was call history (and that wasn't even the case for really early cell phones). Modern cell phones have become a completely different thing.

And as technology evolves, the laws are slow to catch up. This is hardly the only example of that.
OK but this decision today says that call logs and contacts, which were present on old cell phones, aren't subject to search incident to arrest either. So I see your point but clearly that's not the only thing going on. You're right about the second part though.

Tough.

Want to invade someone's phone privacy, get a warrant.
You don't have to be rude about it. =(

Exigent circumstances exception still applies though.
I know. That's good at least.

This so fucking much.

Being treated like a criminal without reasonable suspicion is never the answer to anything.
You're already arrested, which means the officer has to have had probable cause. Which is a step above reasonable suspicion.

Acorn

OK but this decision today says that call logs and contacts, which were present on old cell phones, aren't subject to search incident to arrest either. So I see your point but clearly that's not the only thing going on. You're right about the second part though.

You don't have to be rude about it. =(

I know. That's good at least.

You're already arrested, which means the officer has to have had probable cause. Which is a step above reasonable suspicion.
Depends what they are arrested for.

If you're arrested for breach of the peace is that reasonable suspicion for searching someone's phone without a warrant? I don't think it is personally.

Cipherr

No, this is a good thing. Not having to have warrants to search stuff would probably also let cops solve crimes faster, but we don't give up that right just because of that possibility. You have to balance these things.

Get a warrant. The SCOTUS got this right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom