• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCOTUS rules Cell Phones are generally protected from warrantless searches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Even assuming the police could search your phone, if you keep a password/passkey on it, they can't force you to tell them what it is because you have the right to remain silent.

NSA am cry.

(Not really, doesn't effect them directly and they'll get their congressbros to tag the next budget bill with a ridealong amendment)

Salmonax

It's incredible that rulings in favor of the public or individual rights are so scarce that we're all a little stunned when they happen.

It's incredible that rulings in favor of the public or individual rights are so scarce that we're all a little stunned when they happen.

they aren't really, though... the rehnquist/roberts courts have actually had a pretty good share of landmark 1st and 4th Amd cases favoring the civil libertarian arguments

it's just that the easily digestible cases that usually make big headlines are on social issues where the lines are more clearly drawn, or the ones that tend to confirm previously-held biases

arab

797421732_1200263.gif

Same. You'd think it'd be on the top of Reddit with a bullet what with how outraged that community was about the NSA stuff. Nope. People only care about the news that confirms their biases.

It took a little while but it did end up front page. It usually takes a couple hours unless it deals with a bomb going off somewhere.

Kind of related but everyone should have a passcode for their phone. Just a friendly reminder.

Drug dealers rejoice

Everyone rejoice.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It should be protected. Everything about me is on my smartphone. My banking. My emails. My text conversations between my wife and I. My work. My location history. My calendar. My contacts with names, addresses, phone numbers.

The notion that a cop can just go through that because he wants to is insane.
What happens in the situation where I keep all my sensitive information locked in a database for a program like 1Password, which has a note pad section. Would I have any legal obligation to give my password for that program too? What about other apps with pass codes like DropBox? Sure they could get my phone passcode, but are they gonna drag every single password and passcode I have out of me just to check every nook and cranny of the phone?

Cat Party

What happens in the situation where I keep all my sensitive information locked in a database for a program like 1Password, which has a note pad section. Would I have any legal obligation to give my password for that program too? What about other apps with pass codes like DropBox? Sure they could get my phone passcode, but are they gonna drag every single password and passcode I have out of me just to check every nook and cranny of the phone?
You cannot be compelled to give up your password in a criminal proceeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom