• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fall(PC) - How comes no one talks about it?

Kinyou

Searched and was surprised to see that there's no thread about this game. Discovered it by watching Giantbomb's worthplaying and found it instantly intriguing.

ss_47f7025cf2ef3c0484rfkm8.jpg

Launch Trailer

The game looks a lot like "The Swapper" but is actually an adventure game mixed with some small action sequences. You walk around the environment searching with your flashlight for stuff you can interact and solve puzzles; classic point & click adventure gameplay. Then there are also some shooting sequences that reminded me a lot of Gemini Rue's system. Basically do you just take cover and pop out whenever the enemy stops shooting.

Now what's really intriguing about this game is the story and the characters. You're not playing a human, but as the AI of his combat suit: A.R.I.D. The pilot is unconscious so you take over control trying to get him to a medical facility. What makes it so interesting is that you have to fight against your own programming. For example are you only allowed to activate certain subsytems when the pilots live is in danger, also are you forbidden "to misrepresent reality" meaning you can't Lie.
The writing and voice acting is also really well done. I simply found it fascinating to listen to two AIs with conflicting protocols interact with each other.

This is the first episode of a trilogy and took me about 3 hours to complete. It's currently on sale for 5€ which imo is a pretty fair price. So far it's only available on PC, not sure if they'll make a console port.

The Fall on Steam

Here's Giantbomb's worthplaying video where he plays the start of the game

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I will vouche for this game being some right proper sci fi p&c goodness. I mentioned it in the hidden gems thread and was contemplating an OT but I never make threads.

Also here is a nice Wot I Think from Rock Paper Shotgun. Its what turned me onto the game in the first place.

I will vouche for this game being some right proper sci fi p&c goodness. I mentioned it in the hidden gems thread and was contemplating an OT but I never make threads.

Also here is a nice Wot I Think from Rock Paper Shotgun. Its what turned me onto the game in the first place.

What I got from that, another point and click with "dick move" puzzles. The trailer really had me interested, but after reading that article I dunno. I'll probably just watch a Let's Play.

It's an interesting mash-up of a side-scrolling shooter with platforming elements mashed up with a classic adventure game but I found some of the puzzles to be a little too adventure game-y for their own. I also didn't know the game was episodic, there's nothing on the Steam store page that states this. I didn't even know there was going to be three episodes, when the others are coming out, if I have to buy those other episodes or if I already own them.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
What I got from that, another point and click with "dick move" puzzles. The trailer really had me interested, but after reading that article I dunno. I'll probably just watch a Let's Play.
Nah don't worry. I actually played through that wire puzzle it describes and I solved it quickly. It does get a little adventure gamey but many of the best adventures of all time had a few puzzles like that

Corpekata

Banned
I only heard about it because I was browsing the Steam Kickstarter sale section. I'll be picking it up sometime but I was surprised how under the radar it seemed to be given it had good reviews.

Kinyou

It's an interesting mash-up of a side-scrolling shooter with platforming elements mashed up with a classic adventure game but I found some of the puzzles to be a little too adventure game-y for their own. I also didn't know the game was episodic, there's nothing on the Steam store page that states this. I didn't even know there was going to be three episodes, when the others are coming out, if I have to buy those other episodes or if I already own them.
Maybe they added that later on but this is the first sentence in the steam store description "Experience the first story in a mind bending trilogy!"
That made it pretty clear to me that this would be episode 1 of 3

Rivitur

Banned
PC is dying no need to talk about shitty Indies when we have real games on superior consoles to talk about.
Looks good actually (obviously troll who bit?)

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I've now added The Fall to my backlog. Looks interesting.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, I considered jumping on the game when it released, but I listlessly checked its registry listing a little later and this caught my eye:

Added metacritic_name – The Fall, Episode 1

Explains the $10 price, I think.

halfbeast

Banned
not gonna lie, the icon on steam looked like shit. but I accidentally clicked on it during the sales and was intrigued (especially by the visuals). so I bought it.

derExperte

Wasn't on my wishlist, is now. The generic name, dark screenshots, no release hype and a bad release date for a dark scifi game made me miss it too.

Unfortunately it'll be a while before the next episode comes out, a dev said '8 months' here but we know how that can go.

Maybe they added that later on but this is the first sentence in the steam store description "Experience the first story in a mind bending trilogy!"
That made it pretty clear to me that this would be episode 1 of 3

I think that first sentence in the About The Game section is new.

Yeah, I considered jumping on the game when it released, but I listlessly checked its registry listing a little later and this caught my eye:

Explains the $10 price, I think.

Yeah...I don't think I'd buy each episode for 10$. The first episode had great atmosphere and an interesting story but it was also pretty short, the controls (on mouse and keyboard anyways) are kind of clunky and some of the puzzles were adventure game frustrating/nonsensical. It's definite sales fodder for me.

I've had indie games be my game of the sale but that wasn't my experience with The Fall.

Unfortunately it'll be a while before the next episode comes out, a dev said '8 months' here but we know how that can go.

So basically a year out, maybe.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It was fun, engrossing and had a well done story. But...well...its only the first, short part of a larger story. I'm somewhat disappointed.

Goldmund

I'm guessing this is the game's equivalent of an OT? I can't remember the last time I was still thinking and theorizing about a game after it ended. It has a couple of flaws (arguably the shooting bits, the control scheme in general and
having somewhat of a twist ending
), but the story unfolds elegantly, the character of the world and its symbolism are well-thought out, the "development" of the "characters" is believable, the often hackneyed sci-fi philosophizing about logic, rules and what is human and its relation to being faulty really worked for me here, the sound design is spectacular, the macabre puzzle solving and how that fits into the narrative is uncomfortably successful, -- wow, wow, wow!

It's a short game (it took me 3 hours to complete it and I got stuck at one of the puzzles) but worth the asking price, in my mind.

Billy Brown

Neo Member
Played an hour of this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. As much as I love traditional point-and-click games, I like that they've done something different with the formula here. The setting is great and I'm certainly enthused about getting through the rest of it.

Definitely worth the $6 you can get it for (along with others) in the current weekly Humble Bundle.

Got this on sale the other day and its really neat. Sad it's going under people's radar but I guess thats what youtubers and people like Giant Bomb are for.

Top Bottom