• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those new Coke fountain machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coke.jpg

How do you feel about these?

Does it skeeve you out all those juices coming through one spout?

Its nice having TONS of choices now, but I'm not a big fan. They can only serve one person at a time and the menu is not very fast.

Halo 2

Banned
I like being able to make vanilla cherry flavor since those are impossible to find.

But it's definitely too watery like any other soda machine I encounter.

The menu isn't very fast but I fucking love those machines. And they may come out of the same spout but soda is soda. I just wish they would finally replace all the standard machines.

slit

What can I say? I like them. Only problem is anybody over 60 will sit there in front of the screen and have no idea what to do.

I've only seen these in movie theaters but they're cool. They remind me of something I'd expect to see in Back to the Future 2. =P

Dali

I've never had the taste seem off because of other flavors through the same spout. Then again I run it without my cup underneath for a moment, just in case.

Also never had a problem with a line of people in front of one. So in general I have no issues with them.

mackattk

I would rather just go with the classic coke fountains. I hate waiting in line behind people who don't understand how to use the thing. I have had people who would spend 3 minutes trying to figure out what they want to drink and actually make the selection, then use the ice dispenser. By the time they get the ice they want the screen is back to the main menu. Then they have to go back through and get the drink they do want.

Not to mention greased up fingers touching the screen by hundreds of guests before I use it.

The only upside is that I haven't had any under-carbonated drinks from one of those.

Settin

I hate them because the restaurant I used to work at had one. People gawk at them all day, the machine will say it's out of flavoring for no reason, the touch screen sucks, the ice maker is too slow, etc.

xero273

The menu isn't very fast but I fucking love those machines. And they may come out of the same spout but soda is soda. I just wish they would finally replace all the standard machines.

better hope they drop the prices of these machines. I assume these machines are pretty expensive and why most shops are still using the old ones.

and the menu is not very fast.

Seen one a couple years ago at Five Guys. It's got a novelty factor, right now. I thought the selection was vast, at least if you multiply the choices of Vanilla/Cherry/etc that you can put in your normal drinks. As long as it's got Code Red, I won't hate it.

better hope they drop the prices of these machines. I assume these machines are pretty expensive and why most shops are still using the old ones.

Yeah. The tech and flavorings probably get up there but hopefully one day they become super easy to produce in bulk.

MIMIC

Banned
I love it. They have flavors that I've never seen in stores before.

Orange Sprite? Absolutely!

(I've only seen them at the movie theater, though)

I love them. Give me even more choices, I say.

There only downside--and it is a large one: old folks. I hope I don't come across as horribly agist, but every time I see a person over the age of 60 trying to use one, it becomes a comedy of errors. I guess people of that age range just aren't as used to navigating touch screens as those of younger generations. Even knowing that, I can't help but get frustrated at the 65 year old lady who takes two minutes to figure the machine out.

Azzurri

I love em. I've noticed a lot of places are using them like Burger King, Moe's, Firehouse subs and many more.

I love em. I've noticed a lot of places are using them like Burger King, Moe's, Firehouse subs and many more.

There's a Firehouse pretty close to me that has one. I've really been enjoying it. Orange Coke, Grape Sprite, Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper. All great options.

A great idea in theory, but all soda coming out of one thing means the lines get way worse than with a normal machine with rows

ReAxion

If you look closely, each soda has its own spout which are all surrounded by the soda water spout. So one soda doesn't mix with other sodas.

I love the multiple choices.

Even if that weren't the case, why would it skeeve anyone out? A droplet of a different corn syrup flavored syrup landed in your cup oh noes.

geomon

I love that machine, ever since it showed up in my local Burger King years ago. I didn't know Sprite had so many flavors until that thing showed up. Peach flavored Sprite can fuck right off the planet.

zma1013

I don't like them for 2 reason, one being that I have to touch the grimy dirty touch screen that a hundred other people have touched with their hands, and two the mixture of soda doesn't seem mixed very well, meaning I have to stir it up with my straw a bit before drinking or else I get this super duper sweet taste coming out. The old machines I didn't have to touch it with my hands, it was all activated by pushing the side of the cup under the spout.

Giolon

I hate it. At first I thought they were awesome b/c you could get all sorts of flavor-alterations - Cherry Vanilla Diet Coke for example.

But then you realize, it's 10x slower than the regular old-fashioned ones. Each person who walks up to the machine has to look at it, understand what the screen is showing them, browse through dozens of icons, sometimes make 2-3 selections and only then can they get their soda. Then the next person may have to back out of 2-3 menus deep b/c the reset timer is set to 15-20 seconds or so.

And the worst part - the ice is positioned behind the soda spigot, so that when you go to get ice, the soda dripping from the previous person is likely to get all over your hand.

They're just terrible. I'll take the reduced selection over these things any day.

SuperPac

I hate it. At first I thought they were awesome b/c you could get all sorts of flavor-alterations - Cherry Vanilla Diet Coke for example.

But then you realize, it's 10x slower than the regular old-fashioned ones. Each person who walks up to the machine has to look at it, understand what the screen is showing them, browse through dozens of icons, sometimes make 2-3 selections and only then can they get their soda. Then the next person may have to back out of 2-3 menus deep b/c the reset timer is set to 15-20 seconds or so.

And the worst part - the ice is positioned behind the soda spigot, so that when you go to get ice, the soda dripping from the previous person is likely to get all over your hand.

They're just terrible. I'll take the reduced selection over these things any day.

I agree with this. They're not good.

Local dive bar has one. I love it.

But it does tend to confound newbies. They need to work on that UI . . . and make if faster.

I love how they look to be running off a variation of the Vita OS.

home01-580x328.png

20111012-FreestyleMachine-Main.jpg

Seriously, the only time I ever drink soda now is when I run into one of these. Orange coke is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom