• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 tech analysis DF

geordiemp

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-witcher-3-tech-analysis

Speaking on optimising the experience across all three formats, Mamais also describes some key stress points on console that had to be overcome. "Dynamic shadows are really costly, post-processing effects are really costly," he says "so it's just a matter of optimisation and using the architecture in a really smart way."

When asked about the differences in approach when developing for either PS4 or Xbox One, the team's experience with the DirectX API on PC stands out as an advantage in developing for the latter. "The fact that we can use DX11 on Xbox One and the PC makes some things easier," Michał Krzemiński says. "We do have to put a little extra effort into developing on the PlayStation 4, but it's nothing we can't handle and that would make development problematic."
As for the matter of resolution, the Xbox One version on show at E3 is confirmed by John Mamais to be running at 900p, with hopes to push it higher come release as part of the larger optimisation drive. It's also confirmed that in addition to post-processing effects, temporal anti-aliasing is in use for the current build - an approach that blends the current and previous frames together to cut down visual noise during camera movement.
On that note, performance of the E3 Xbox One build is very encouraging, having been designed with a 30fps target in mind. Unlike The Witcher 2 on 360, we're pleased to see a permanent v-sync in place to avoid tearing. A potential stress-point for the engine is in combat, where we detect stutters down to the mid-20fps range - the additional development time CDPR gave itself should hopefully see optimisation efforts implemented to level out the frame-rate.
As for the as-yet unseen PS4 version, meanwhile, Mamais concedes that "being able to do 1080p on PS4 a little bit easier than on Xbox One

Durante

I don't get the idea of doing a "tech analysis" on a game which is (a) over half a year from release, and (b) which you don't even have the kind of access to required for any serious analysis.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't get the idea of doing a "tech analysis" on a game which is (a) over half a year from release, and (b) which you don't even have the kind of access to required for any serious analysis.

Clicks. Articles like this are less about informing consumers and more about generating advertising revenue.

manual4

Banned

need them clicks, eurogamer and df are really full of it

Vashetti

Banned

There's not a great deal many new games out for the newer consoles, so they've had to resort to writing about games that aren't actually out yet.

Gotta get those clicks.

It's digital foundry
parroting a press release/interview = tech analysis for them

Renekton

"The stuff we're using that's really cool for next-gen is dynamic IDL," he continues, referring to an interface description language used to allow all parts of the engine, including middleware solutions, to work in concert. "
How does this work?

Does it just describe the input and outputs?

Nzyme32

Another click-bait post from digital foundry, and another thread on GAF. I blame myself, I should have known better than to enter this thread

R1CHO

It's a pretty poor article.

I was hoping for at least an interview with a graphics engineer from cdproject or something like that... this was just a look of the e3 material.

DZ_b_EZ

Interesting, I guess I should stay away from the console versions.

Here's hoping that my upgrade to a GTX 780 will suffice.

Genio88

I hope my i7 4770k 4.2ghz and r9 290 oc are ready to max it out, or maybe i should consider a crossfire configuration?

Witcher looks great, not only visually but gameplay-wise. The world looks much more "filled" compared to Skyrim. And the activities like horse-riding, travelling by boat and fighting look much more technical than just button mashing. These are the things that irked me with Skyrim.

DF making technical analysis of E3 videos is a bit weird though. How can they be sure the games were not running on PCs? It's still a long time till release, so it'd be understandable.

One thing I wish they refine are some animations. When climbing steep mountains and focusing the head on the griffin. But there's still a lot of time, so nothing to worry.
qqpdft.gif

dgnhkx.gif

Hope I'll be able to get a PC by the time it hit's.

Kaze2212

DF making technical analysis of E3 videos is a bit weird though. How can they be sure the games were not running on PCs? It's still a long time till release, so it'd be understandable.
In the case of The Witcher 3 they take CPR by their word, because they stated that the Demo during the Microsoft press conference was running on a XBOX One...

But yeah, overall it is a little bit too early to do tech analysis for games, which still have like half a year before they release.

p3tran

Banned

one mechanic I use always says to customers to come for oil change way before needed.
his rhetoric is "you know, as you do more and more kilometers, engine friction/small metallic pieces" etc etc.
to me he says: "so what do you want? you want me to become a thief for a living instead?" :D

hope that answers your q :)

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't mind analysis on builds of games they've got access to themselves, but this isn't really anything.

Is he contradicting himself here?
There's more to developing a game than resolution, which is GPU-dependent. So that aspect itself is easier for the PS4. But not necessarily everything else.

DF is really getting a bit overboard with these analysis of trailers and demos.

Waiting for their analysis breakdown of the Xbox One Upload Studio Destiny beta clips.

Not much to talk about these days.
They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel with this one but I guess they can't go weeks without publishing anything.

Biggzy

No he is not. What he means is that it was easier to get the game running on the Xbox One - because both the PC version and the Xbox version run in DX11 - however, once the PS4 version is up and running it has more horsepower available for it to run in 1080p.

jett

D-Member

They should change the name of these articles. Calling them "analysis" is ridiculous.

erawsd

I don't mind analysis on builds of games they've got access to themselves, but this isn't really anything.

There's more to developing a game than resolution, which is GPU-dependent. So that aspect itself is easier for the PS4. But not necessarily everything else.

Exactly. Xbox and PC both share a programming environment in Direct X. PS4 has its own thing, so it makes sense that the PS4 takes a little more effort, especially for a dev that's never worked with Sony hardware before. None of that changes the fact that PS4 hardware is just better.

Hellshy.

Can the lack of skill with non-Direct X development hurts the PS4 version?

I personally feel his statement has more to do with their relationship with MS then it does with anything else. They have said this for awhile but from my knowledge they are the only developers to do so. If it was as easy as having worked on PC games in the past bone would be getting more praise for ease of development not ps4.

Calmine

Can the lack of skill with non-Direct X development hurts the PS4 version?

I doubt it to be honest. They're developing the engine to work across PC, Linux, XONE and PS4. It'll all come down to Optimisation for the platform.

I can't decide whether to go for PS4 version or PC to be honest.

Two Words

No he is not. What he means is that it was easier to get the game running on the Xbox One - because both the PC version and the Xbox version run in DX11 - however, once the PS4 version is up and running it has more horsepower available for it to run in 1080p.
But he's ignoring the PS4's hardware is easier to develop on while the Xbox One's GPU and RAM limitations make things more difficult as well. How are those not difficulties in development? The results definitely show it.

EGM1966

So xbox easier to develop for, yet they got 1080 out of the ps4.

Huh?
They're not really saying that XB1 is easier to develop for though - in fact they note achieving 1080p on PS4 was easier.

They're simply noting that for them XB1 drivers/APIs are more familiar whereas less familiar PS4 drivers required more effort to understand and use.

Seems fair enough given they are very PC/Directx orientated.

Gestault

I hope the discussion surrounding this write-up will help people understand the difference between development tools and rendering resolution.

Soi-Fong

I doubt it to be honest. They're developing the engine to work across PC, Linux, XONE and PS4. It'll all come down to Optimisation for the platform.

I can't decide whether to go for PS4 version or PC to be honest.

Gonna be going for the PC version for me. That 1440p goodness! :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

No. It's just easier and faster to port code between PC and XBO because they both use DX and CDPR is very familiar with it but PS4's hardware allows it to reach higher resolutions easier. It takes them a bit longer to port onto PS4 but it'll still get better end results.

ps3ud0

I look forward to tech analysis of doodles on napkins - hate how DF is just clickbaiting with any random comparison which arent going to mean squat to the final product...

ps3ud0 8)

The Llama

Witcher looks great, not only visually but gameplay-wise. The world looks much more "filled" compared to Skyrim. And the activities like horse-riding, travelling by boat and fighting look much more technical than just button mashing. These are the things that irked me with Skyrim.

One thing I wish they refine are some animations. When climbing steep mountains and focusing the head on the griffin. But there's still a lot of time, so nothing to worry.

Hope I'll be able to get a PC by the time it hit's.

For some reason these webm's keep crashing my browser (I had to disable the webm extension to get this page to load), just fyi. Not sure if its just me or what.

Gestault

I'm gonna go out on a limb here as say I don't think a write-up on the tech behind a major release, informed by discussing its development with the team behind it, and calling at a "tech analysis" is click bait.

Top Bottom