• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Nintendo News: GameStop manager says Smash Wii U is out Nov 21st with 1 Amibo

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/07/1...th-one-amiibo-launching-around-november-21st/

A GameStop manager has been in contact to say that he’s heard rumblings in the office that that every copy of Smash Bros for Wii U will come with a free Amiibo figure. He also says that he has been hearing that the street date for the Wii U version will be November 21st. He wishes to remain anonymous, so I can’t verify these claims. However it does sound fairly plausible. Hopefully we won’t have to wait too long for Nintendo to grace us with an official release date.

Whether MNN is iffy in the past or not, maybe someone else can get a second opinion and see if we get enough voices that may point to it being true.

This is prior to Black Friday which is on November 28th.

Thoughts?

Edit: Didn't have enough space to fit in RUMOR, but I'd think it's obvious since it's claimed to be from a GameStop manager.

Seik

Banned
As long as it comes out before the holidays vacations, I'm okay with it! :D

Winter 2014 got me upset.

EDIT: I meant Q4 Winter, my bad.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Give me a free Falcon figure and I'll accept this to be true.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
The date is most likely, just before Black Friday, but I don't trust "Gamestop manager" as a source.

botty

Banned
It has to come before christmas. Nintendo would be beyond stupid not to get Amiibos out before Xmas.

As long as it's before the holidays vacations, I'm all good! :D

Winter 2014 got me upset.

They have been saying Holiday 2014, so it is lock for this year unless there are delays.

1 free Amiibo would be cool. Hopefully it is random instead of everyone getting Mario.

Bullshit.

No way would they cannabalize amiibo sales by giving them away for free. Day 1 buyers were probably going to pick one up anyway.

The release date seems very plausible, not sure if every copy will come with an Amiibo though. Maybe just first editions? They did bundle in WWHD with a really pricy looking Ganondorf figure for $60 (10 dollars more) so maybe something like that?
Same folks who put Mario Golf: World Tour and Kirby Triple Deluxe on the same day on 3DS (May 2nd).
3D World+LBW last year was (I think) the 21st too

MegaMelon

I'd like Amiibos to take off, if just for the pokemon ones. Even without the functionality aspects, they're quite nice figures and I'd kill for one to be bundles with ORAS but that's a bit off topic. If true I wonder how they'll go about choosing which one is bundled or if it'll be random.

Muzy72

Banned
LOL @ a GameStop manager being the source.

But regardless, November 21st is obviously the date. There's no question about it. Only pessimists would believe otherwise.

Well they already have that bundle with the adapter, GC controller, and the game, wonder if that would come with it or add to the cost at all or what.

Eolz

I can see this happening just to pass the concept around.
Remember, they don't want to sell just one amiibo per gamer/household, but a lot more.

Oh and not surprised by the release date, we've been hearing this since some weeks now unofficially).

Hatchtag

Banned
If true, it'll be Mario or Pikachu. Genius decision to get people hooked though,was hoping they'd do something like that.

A free random Amiibo would be really smart. Nobody will get what they really want, but it will still be a free hit of the crack before Christmas.

Why give an Amiibo? It won't lead to extra sales by convincing those not interested to get one. They'll just lose a ton of money. I don't believe any of this.

Effect

Including a free Amiibo would make sense. They have to sell people on it and a great way of doing that is including one in Smash Bros. It's going to be the flagship game for the Amiibo platform. Disney Infinity comes with figures in the starter set. I believe Skylanders does as well. You have to include the first figure to get things started. Then once people have a taste they'll want their favorite character. So if it comes out a week before Black Friday that's enough time to get the early adopters hyped up to go out looking for their figure of choice and maybe settling for what is left on and leading up to Black Friday and into the rest of the Christmas shopping season.

Bullshit.

No way would they cannabalize amiibo sales by giving them away for free. Day 1 buyers were probably going to pick one up anyway.

Gonna pick up the game anyway? Sure. But pickup an Amiibo? I dunno about that. If they're gonna have a range of Amiibo's out as a batch, I don't see how including just one to get players hooked would hurt sales. Heck, maybe the supposedly packaged Amiibo with Smash could be one that you can't buy on its own.

TwistedN

Wouldn't be shocked at all since Mario Party, 3D World, and A Link Between Worlds came out the same day with Xbox One launch to top it off no less.

a bundle would help people get use to the idea of using amiibo so a wise move
but my eShop digital minded self is shit out of luck then

I guess I could go physical for... NAH only buying an extra copy for Bayonetta 2

if Bayo is in Smash maybe

I'll just hit up amazon for my preferred fighter

The date looks good to me. It makes a whole lot of sense for Nintendo to release it then. As for the free Amiibo, I'm skeptical, but also hopeful. I would love to get a free Amiibo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom