• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me a Short Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
The Dead. By James Joyce. Is probably my second favourite story.
Misery. By Anton Chekhov. Being first place.

Makonero

Anything by Flannery O'Connor, especially "A Good Man is Hard to Find" or "Good Country People."

She's a master of the craft.

The Whisperer in Darkness by HP Lovecraft

Or if you want something a little bit more literary and less pulpy:

Teddy by JD Salinger

(you've read The Lottery by Shirley Jackson, right? I know it's required reading in most if not all US schools, but I don't want to assume)

Red

fwiw, one of my favorite contemporary writers is Anthony Doerr, and he's done some great ones. Check out The Shell Collector.

I recently bought The Complete Works of Isaac Babel and I am excited to dig into it.

acrid

Banned
Still worth reading having watched the movie?

It's been many years for me, but if I remember correctly, the movie is nearly spot on. I think there were a few minor details here and there that were different, but I don't think it was much.

Skeleton Crew, Night Shift, Full Dark-No Stars are all good collections of King's short stories.

waypoetic

Banned
So there's this horse right, and he walks into a bar...

I forgot the rest. But I'm pretty sure the bartender said something hilarious!

The Yellow Wallpaper

I read it in high school and it has stuck with me ever since. When I first read it I was floored by how much could be done in... well, a short story, and it's the one that made me appreciate them more. I ate up the imagery and the psychologically unsound nature of it right up.

If I recall, it was part of a lesson on female writers back when they weren't so common. This particular author had some issues as well.

I actually haven't read it since high school, but now that I found that linked PDF, maybe I'll read it again later.

Anyway, read it! It's not very long and if you like psychological fucked-upness, you'll like this.

acrid

Banned
The Yellow Wallpaper

I read it in high school and it has stuck with me ever since. When I first read it I was floored by how much could be done in... well, a short story, and it's the one that made me appreciate them more. I ate up the imagery and the psychologically unsound nature of it right up.

If I recall, it was part of a lesson on female writers back when they weren't so common. This particular author had some issues as well.

I actually haven't read it since high school, but now that I found that linked PDF, maybe I'll read it again later.

Anyway, read it! It's not very long and if you like psychological fucked-upness, you'll like this.

Oh hell yeah! Read that my freshman year of college. I agree, it's flat out bizarre.

HORRORSHØW

Try : The ones who walk away from Omelas.

That one always struck me.

i love you, man.

definitely read omelas. and as a pointless aside, le guin thought of the the title by seeing salem o(regon) in her rearview mirror.

i also suggest reading baudlaire's paris spleen if you're into prose poetry.

the diaries of adam and eve by mark twain is also fantastic, even if it''s a tad too long to label it a short story.

lastly, check out katie williams's bone hinge, a short story about conjoined twins and love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom