• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you care about spoilers?

Blade2.0

I used to care but then an asshole friend from highschool ruined the surprise of Knights of the Old Republic for me, and I stopped caring after that. Nowadays I might even read the whole Wikipedia plot summary before I watch something. I don't think it ruins anything, honestly.

For me, just because I know what's going to happen doesn't mean I know how it takes place. The writing, performances, and the visuals all make up for Knowing anything ahead of time.

It's hard for me to fathom how people can get upset when spoiled about a film or game, and that they may not even play or watch it after hearing a spoiler. That makes zero sense to me.

My most recent one was GoW: Ragnarok. I read the plot before picking up the game and the execution of the plot is so well done, that even after reading a summary, I'm still surprised by what happens. Not to mention things like the side quests are never in the plot summary to begin with and the ones in Ragnarok are almost essential for the whole story to me, anyways.

It really is an amazing work. How are your feelings on spoilers?

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Quick anecdote.

I saw "The Sixth Sense" in its first week of release back then.
About a week later on a local entertainment TV show I used to watch while having dinner the host was talking about the movie's success & gross earnings.
She then proceeded to summarize the movie: "Bruce Willis, who portrays a dead psychologist helping a young boy..."

Now I dunno if the writers were just fuckin' with her but that got a giggle outta me 😆

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Depends... Is it a cameo? A twist? Don't spoil it.

Is it something that happens in the beginning or something that doesn't affect you as a fan or doesn't affect the story? Spoil away.

I was genuinely surprised to see the homages to the past Batmans and Supermans in The Flash movie... That added to my overall enjoyment of the film.

However you could have taken the whole baby sequence and spoiled it for me in The Flash and it wouldn't have harmed my enjoyment of it.

Skyfox

Have to be honest. I do get a bit sensitive on them unless it's media I have little interest in.

Sometimes if I know I don't care about a movie or game or book, I'll watch trailers or skim through just in case some part of it might appeal.

Kabelly

yes because i believe having that first time experience for yourself is very important. i stopped watching trailers for movies a long time ago except maybe a teaser , but "Dune" I know I'll watch regardless so I'm going into that movie completely blind.

Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned
A lot.

They're make or break for me.

Maybe it's because I've been spoiled Aeris' death and Evangelion by friends. I've never recovered.

Last edited:

MastAndo

If it's a huge twist in a movie or something similar, I tend to care. Otherwise, I'm not a stickler about it. How something is presented is more important to me and that is hard to completely ruin with words or a single image. For example, I've been checking out the Starfield spoilers thread for impressions, screenshots or other details without much concern that reading some plot point would ruin my experience.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I really don't at all. Whenever I have truly loved something, I kept enjoying it after I knew everything. That's how you know what quality writing is. In fact, with the best things, you only start your true enjoyment upon knowing everything. Then you can consider it more deeply and see all the many layers and implications, understand why characters did as they did, let the lessons they learn through the events of the story ring into your own life or increase your empathy for others who are different from you.

In most cases where a big part of the point was the twist, the media was astoundingly boring if you knew the twist and I didn't like it anymore after the first viewing. If something is going to be shitty from the second time on, why would I care about being spoiled the experience of the surprise? It's cheap, pointless.

Last edited:

NahaNago

For the most part yes I care, but if it is like what the person above mentioned something older then I don't mind getting spoiled.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
For stuff I actually care about - yeah, of course. There are not many moments of genuine surprise or happiness in life. Every time you read some jaded person's grammatically incorrect retelling of a story before you get to see it as the original creator intended in context, with correct lighting, pacing, acting, music and carefully planned cinematography - you might as well just ruin the story for yourself. That's literally what you're doing.

However, there are many games and movies I don't give a shit about and obviously don't care if I choose to spoil myself on those.

Billbofet

Depends on the kind of movie/entertainment. If there is a twist or it's a thriller, I would not want it spoiled.
If it's the next superhero or "universe" SW product, I couldn't care less. At this point, I assume any and all characters will be rolled in at some point, so nothing really shocks me anymore in those types of products.
Videogame, not as much unless it's a massive, story-driven game like LoU.

Muffdraul

I don't like being spoiled, but eventually I realized it's not that big of a deal. There's the window of time between when you get spoiled and when you experience the story for yourself, and that window sucks. But for me at least, once I've taken in the entire story myself and the whole thing is stored in my brain's memory banks, the fact that I was spoiled then becomes moot and I pretty much forget about it until something reminds me.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Yes. Especially since I don't buy alot of games on day 1. Luckily I've never had a Twitter account so that doesn't ruin anything

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I don't seek them out, but let's face it, there's so very little of a high enough quality these days that I don't particularly care if i do see them for the vast majority of things. If I see a spoiler for the MCU it's not going to bother me, because I'm probably not going to watch the fucking thing anyway.

Fuz

Banned
I don't seek them out, but let's face it, there's so very little of a high enough quality these days that I don't particularly care if i do see them for the vast majority of things. If I see a spoiler for the MCU it's not going to bother me, because I'm probably not going to watch the fucking thing anyway.
This thread is obviously about when you care about a story. Nobody gives a shit about MCU.

ahtlas7

If it’s something I’m passionate about. Like Dune 2, I don’t want to know anything about it. I didn’t watch any trailers, was gifted the book that sits mockingly unread on the shelf. All was good until I went to see Meg2. Guess what the 2nd trailer was?! Damn-it!

Trunx81

I´m old now, with not so much time at hand as it used to be (work, kids). Therefore, I sometimes want to know beforehand if I would like to see (movies) or experience (games) something. There surely are situations where I don´t want to be spoiled, but these are becoming less and less important.

And: I can still enjoy them, even if I know what will happen.

Ulysses 31

Only if they're major plot points in a well written story.

Don't mind getting spoiled that the story goes nowhere or takes a nose dive in the last act.

MilkyJoe

Yes. People that give away spoilers are the worst people in the world. Like worse than vegans, worse than vegans that kidnap women and butcher them and make balloon animals out of their skin. Proper cunts they are.

As are vegans.

Rockondevil

Depends how much I care about what I'm doing.

Some things I couldn't care if it gets spoiled, like current Marvel shows.
Other things I'd be a little annoyed if it was something I'm looking forward to like Starfield (though likely the story will be the least compelling part).

KrakenIPA

Not really, they look ridicolous in most cars,.
Check out this guy har!

tumblr_md8h3fRjhb1qzpzfmo1_500.jpg

Eiknarf

Banned
If spoilers mattered, why would you watch a movie you’ve seen before? Why watch a movie twice? Or three times? Or forty times?

You already know how it ends!
(See how that works? Or doesn’t?)

We all know how every superhero movie ends, yet billions of people still watch and enjoy them.

So, basically, there's no such thing as spoilers.

If you click on a movie or PQ review and expect to be warned about spoilers, it's time for you to reflect on life and the decisions you've made.

It's a fact that any review or discussion worth a damn will contain spoilers.

You watch a movie for the experience and story telling, not about having some personal revelation about the ending or the plot the first time you see the movie.

Depends for me. If it's like a really old movie, game or show that is kinda on me not getting around to it sooner and I don't mind getting spoiled.

I do get a bit bothered if something just came out though and I get spoiled on it.

John Bilbo

I don't care about spoilers, but I know all the other people in my life care so I try to watch my tongue.

I believe a good story stands experiencing the story multiple times.

Spoilers tend to be separated from experiencing the story: when someone spoils a story to you orally it is not precise or does not include most of the original intention or methods of expressing the story. Summarising a movie orally lacks the visual and aural experience, the work of the actors, the script, the director...

Usually the way someone spoils / summarizes a plot of a story tells more about the person spoiling the story than the story itself. That is why it is interesting to hear different people summarize or talk about the same story: people pick up on different things and express the things common a different way.

ReBurn

Gold Member
No. I'm more interes in seeing how the end is reached, not what happens at the end. I don't care as much about the fact that the hero wins or loses. I want to see the things that cause it to happen for myself.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
If spoilers mattered, why would you watch a movie you’ve seen before? Why watch a movie twice? Or three times? Or forty times?

You already know how it ends!
(See how that works? Or doesn’t?)

We all know how every superhero movie ends, yet billions of people still watch and enjoy them.

So, basically, there's no such thing as spoilers.
Strongly disagree with this.

While you can enjoy the journey a second or third time, nothing compares to the first time.

While superhero movies may be entirely predictable, some films rely on a twist, or unexpected events or an air of uncertainty around a character's motivations or who of a number of characters is responsible for something occuring.

I always think of The Usual Suspects when people talk about spoilers. Being told the ending of that film before you'd seen it would make for an entirely different first watch and rob you of a great experience.

I actually prefer spoilers. That way I know if I will be wasting my time with something.

Knowing how something twists or ends doesn’t kill the enjoyment of getting there anyways.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I care about boss fight spoilers. If there’s an epic battle, I’d rather witness it myself. I don’t necessarily care about story spoilers. It’s the bosses that matter.

I kinda hate knowing everything about a game before I play it. Sometimes it’s ok, but knowing who the Arkham Knight was before actually playing it was complete sh*t. It was ruined by a stupid IGN Twitter feed comment. Stuff like the beginning of TLoU2 was sh*t too. That would have been a lot more meaningful if I had experienced it myself. Now a days if it gets spoiled and the game is not a really big hit, I’ll just skip. It’ll save me the time and money.

Top Bottom