• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gust to merge with Koei Tecmo on October 1st

Koei Tecmo announced today with a press release that a merger with its former Nagano-based subsidiary Gust, developer of the Atelier series and of the upcoming Ar Nosurge, will be executed on October 1st

Gust has been a fully owned subsidiary of Koei Tecmo since December 2011, when all its shares were acquired. Now the developer will cease to exist as a company, fully merged into its parent, even if the “Gust” brand and the development department will still be kept alive and fully functional and expanded.

Behind the reason of the merger Koei Tecmo cited more efficient sharing of technology and development of games, a focus on developing new IP at Gust’s studios in Nagano and on using existing IP effectively. On top of that, the emergence of new home console platforms and sustainable growth on the mobile field were also mentioned as factors.

Besides developing new IP, Gust’s development studio will still be fully dedicated to developing and expanding its existing IP, so those that love the Atelier series have no reason to worry.

Original Press Release

Atelier Musou me if old

matmanx1

As long as the "Ar" series and the Atelier series remains unmolested then I can't imagine this being a bad thing.

L~A

^

banned website.

Yes. Lord knows why. I think Bandai Namco also switched around recently.

That's because the companies were always known as Koei-Tecmo and Bandai-Namco, in Japan. What you should be asking is why they decided to reverse the name for the Western market... maybe Namco / Tecmo were more well-known companies?

flohen95

Yes. Lord knows why. I think Bandai Namco also switched around recently.

Yeah, Namco Bandai changed to Bandai Namco and Tecmo Koei changed to Koei Tecmo. I think that's only for the west though and it's always been like that it Japan; Even when they were still called Tecmo Koei/Namco Bandai here, the logos have always been "KT" and "Bandai Namco" respectively. Why it was changed around in the first place I have no idea, but they basically adjusted it to match the Japanese names/their logos.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
As long as Koei doesn't mess with me getting my Atelier PS Vita Ports here in the US I don't mind this merge.

Top Bottom