• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's look over Nintendo's relationship with Tecmo Koei

I think by now it's safe to say Nintendo and TK have a most interesting relationship.

Since last gen, they've worked on NUMEROUS projects together (note: specifically together aka Nintendo-published), and there's no sign of this ending soon.

Let's see the scoreboard!

Samurai-Warriors-3_WII_US_ESRB.jpg

This counts as it feels like not only the birth of the partnership on the Koei side (note: the two hadn't merged yet), but Nintendo was quite involved and the game included a Murasame Castle mode. But I guess their involvement was exclusively with the mode and localization which is how magically a port to PS3 and PSP happened (Koei self-published it on Wii in JP). HOWEVER, said localization seems to have been the barrier that prevented said versions from leaving Japan, since I would think Treehouse worked on it (correct me if I'm wrong).

Fatal Frame 4 kickstarted the relationship with the Tecmo side. And the first to be fully done by Nintendo and any new releases seem to be exclusive. PSN re-releases seem to be the exception.

This is next on the Tecmo list and the first involving Team Ninja, AND the first either took on a Nintendo IP.

In a surprise twist we got a POKEMON collab with the Nobunaga's Ambition IP and team (I think Omega Force does these as well). It's said that this was pitched as a Pokemon Warriors game but they decided on this instead. What, no Pikachu with a sword?! Fuck.

Here we have the 2nd FF game under the partnership. And this one actually left Japan!... to EU only. :( This is the last of last gen.

And this is the first of the current gen! Get ready to have your heads hurt itself in their confusion; this game is fully owned by Nintendo, they own the Spirit Camera trademark... but TK still own FF... but this is an official spin-off... I'M SO CONFUSED!!!

So that's it for the ones out now, let's look at the current upcoming slate:

The biggie. So instead of getting more Wii U versions of the series, we have a ground-up exclusive collab of Zelda and the Warriors series. What's funny is that this is not just by Omega Force, but by Team Ninja! Crazy!

And last is what is essentially Fatal Frame 5 for Wii U. The first HD game in the series. Get this, it actually uses tech from Dead or Alive 5. So again Team Ninja has their hand in this in one way or another.

Ah fuck it, BONUS GAME:

This isn't by Tecmo Koei, but it is the next best thing, it's by Itagaki, who was the leader of Team Ninja, and Nintendo grabbed it just like they did with Bayonetta 2.

So we have the lot, but why not speculate on the future? My immediate thought is this:

We've heard of the possibility that Nintendo have snagged 3 more exclusives, is this true? We'll see, but out of any game they could snag next, this one to me is the top of the list.

The game has been in development for an entire gen (it was once planned for the PS3's launch) only after changing hands from Omega Force to Team Ninja did the game resume development... until like 2012 when they said it left the alpha phase... yay?

Reminds me of Devil's Third. Would make so much sense if Nintendo grabbed this as another game in this seemingly strong partnership.

Edit: I'll mention one that some said was missing, and I'll say why I didn't:

This feels like it doesn't belong solely because the game isn't exclusive at all. Nintendo's name is only in the NA and EU releases and TK ported and released the game on PS360 everywhere anyway. Nintendo's name being on the box feels virtually pointless in my opinion.

Also, I remember the Pokemon Conquest folks speak about being interested in a sequel, naturally I would see this as a 3DS game. I think the original did very well so it should be very likely.

So what about you GAF? What else do you see happening? What are your thoughts on this and the games that have come from it?

Eolz

There's also Nintendo publishing Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor Edge, and specifically asking for it (timed exclusive).
I just wish there was also DoA5U, even if it's the next edition
I think it'll be interesting to see what happens with Nintendo's next handheld, as some of KT's franchises are more on the Playstation handheld side and as the Vita will slowly disappear in some years.

I've often thought Ryu Hayabusa made a lot of sense as a guest character in Smash Brothers. His first three games were on NES, Dead or Alive was on 3DS and Ninja Gaiden 3 was on Wii U. He would make a great DLC character.

I think it would be great if every major Japanese company got a rep as they are the ones who still release games on Nintendo platforms. Others would be Simon Belmont for Konami, Terra for Square Enix and before their acquisition Jack Frost for Atlus.

ReyVGM

I would rather have Nintendo partner with Capcom or Konami or Square and make a final fantasy zelda or a metroid resident evil or something with konami.

Ridley327

I would rather have Nintendo partner with Capcom or Konami or Square and make a final fantasy zelda or a metroid resident evil or something with konami.

I don't think Konami can be trusted with anything other than MGS these days, and Kojima has no interest in putting it on Nintendo systems again anytime soon. If Nintendo should do anything, they definitely need to reach out to IGA and get their hands on what he's cooking up with his new studio.

I wish it was Sega instead, and Sonic in place of Fatal Frame as the one exclusive franchise with Nintendo.

The three game deal with Sonic has been crap. Sochi was eh, Lost World was off, and Boom looks quite bad.

Plus Sega have wonderful IPs that would match Nintendo perfectly like Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio, NiGHTS, Shining Force, Phantasy Star, Billy Hatcher, etc.

I do wonder why it was Tecmo Koei. Hell you'd think it'd be Bandai Namco with the way things were going in the GC-era and the big things since like the sale of Monolithsoft and Smash Bros (and the rumored Pokken Fighters).

Why Tecmo Koei?

I don't get why they're so buddy buddy. They seem to be much bigger with PlayStation gamers than with Nintendo fans. Wouldn't it be weird if From Software, NIS, or Konami started making all these Nintendo games? That's how I see this relationship.

I could also include the honorable mentions like Dead or Alive Dimensions which is a full-fledged 3DS exclusive, just not with the involvement of Nintendo. Kinda surprised that never got a Vita version come to think of it. How does it compare to DOA5 on Vita?

Also, I'm surprised that Monster Rancher has been merely a blip, that would be great on 3DS or Wii U, I'm shocked that never came to Wii but two did come to DS (both by Cing (RIP) and the 2nd one came over by UFO).

Same goes for Tokobot, that looks perfect for Nintendo platforms, I'm surprised they chose Rygar to port from PS2 to Wii and not Tokobot.

Outside of Ni-oh, I don't know what else they can fully collab on, they done Metroid, Pokemon, and now Zelda, what's next?

And, where could Gust fall in this? Could we see some Nintendo support from them again? They're the only major team fully absent from Nintendo platforms, and with them now being absorbed in October, wonder if they might get called in at some point.

Same goes for Toukiden, another Omega Force and Team Ninja team up. They said they went to Vita and PSP BECAUSE MH went to 3DS, but I would have to imagine they might attempt a 3DS entry at some point, especially if as said above if Sony bows out of the handheld business after Vita and it starts to die out.

popyea

I don't get why they're so buddy buddy. They seem to be much bigger with PlayStation gamers than with Nintendo fans. Wouldn't it be weird if From Software, NIS, or Konami started making all these Nintendo games? That's how I see this relationship.

I'm glad I don't see the world through console-vision. It makes no sense to me that someone who likes Nintendo would not like anything on Playstation and vice versa.

G0523

I could also include the honorable mentions like Dead or Alive Dimensions which is a full-fledged 3DS exclusive, just not with the involvement of Nintendo.

There was a Metroid level in Dimensions so I'm sure Nintendo had to at least give approval for Tecmo Koei to use it.

Het_Nkik

I do wonder why it was Tecmo Koei. Hell you'd think it'd be Bandai Namco with the way things were going in the GC-era and the big things since like the sale of Monolithsoft and Smash Bros (and the rumored Pokken Fighters).

Man, I hated Namco so much for Star Fox Assault. I really hope they never touch the series again. Also Donkey Konga was super meh. I never played Mario Baseball, though.

Toxi

Banned
Man, I hated Namco so much for Star Fox Assault. I really hope they never touch the series again. Also Donkey Konga was super meh. I never played Mario Baseball, though.
Maybe Tecmo Koei can touch Star Fox the same way they touched Metroid.

I'm so sorry Star Fox fans, I didn't mean it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DOA5 in some form on Wii U seems a gross oversight in this otherwise very stable and intriguing partnership.

L Thammy

Just in case it isn't obvious, the Nintendo stuff is removed from the PS3 and PSP versions of Samurai Warriors 3. Nintendo costumes also appeared in Dynasty Warriors Versus, which we didn't get. Strangely, Takamaru didn't reappear in Samurai Warriors Chronicles, one of the 3DS' launch title (and a pretty good one).

TreIII

DOA5 in some form on Wii U seems a gross oversight in this otherwise very stable and intriguing partnership.

Pretty much. At the least, such a version could've given every female a "Zero Suit" outfit, and that's if they somehow didn't have the time to develop Zero Suit Samus as her own character with a moveset to match.

But otherwise? I'm hoping that Pokémon+Nobunaga and Zelda Musou will be the start of Koei Tecmo doing more interesting things with Nintendo's IP.

Hell, KT were the ones who arguably started the ball rolling on the "Takamaru" bandwagon. Maybe Nintendo should just let them relaunch the Murasamejo brand.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
After Zelda Musou there will be Fire Emblem Musou
Koei please ;__;
tumblr_legtqidk8x1qad16go1_500.jpg

Yeah, but since they're already doing Fire Emblem x SMT
never gonna come out
, I doubt Nintendo wants to oversaturate FE Crossovers.

I bet we'll see a Pokemon Conquest 2. The first had lots of room for improvement, as it only had a small amount of Pokemon.

Yeah, but since they're already doing Fire Emblem x SMT
never gonna come out
, I doubt Nintendo wants to oversaturate FE Crossovers.

I bet we'll see a Pokemon Conquest 2. The first had lots of room for improvement, as it only had a small amount of Pokemon.

Fe x smt has the pikmin 3 effect: they clearly announced it before development started so it'll be an eternity til it comes out.

IIRC there was interview with Hayashi after Dead or Alive Dimension was released for the 3DS and they were quite disappointed with sales. Guess with Ninja Gaiden 3 RE sales as well they don't really want to release much on Wii U. Why they don't try out their F2P model the other consoles has for DOA5U is up for questions though =/

L Thammy

If any other Nintendo franchise should get a Musou game, it should be Kirby. I mean, stylishly stomping over hordes of enemies is what Kirby does anyway.

As for "why Koei Tecmo". I think they're just the most malleable of the big Japanese publishers. They obviously aren't jumping ship to Nintendo platforms or anything like that. The other companies work with Nintendo too, although not as visibly or not as regularly. Sega and Nintendo did that Sonic deal and that Japan-only Yakuza port^2, regardless of how it worked out. When a new Monster Hunter rolls around, Nintendo builds controllers to Capcom's specifications.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, Kirby Musou would be pretty epic since all the copy powers already have combo attacks.

Plus switching Copy Powers on the fly, sucking up hordes of enemies, summoning Dyna Blade to attack for you...damn.

I'm down for Fire Emblem Musou! As Awakenings showed, the series already has a billion ready-made characters from its history to pick from.

Happy Zelda came first though. :)

jeremy1456

Don't forget, Nintendo even swooped up Devil's Third. Not Koei Tecmo, but with Itagaki at the helm it might as well be.

I don't understand Iwata's hard on for the company.

FStubbs

Don't forget, Nintendo even swooped up Devil's Third. Not Koei Tecmo, but with Itagaki at the helm it might as well be.

I don't understand Iwata's hard on for the company.

I do. It's called "Hey, they'll actually put some of their A games on our system, let's work with them".

-Horizon-

I want another Pokemon Conquest so bad ;-;

Expanded plot from the first one or heck, dump them in medieval europe. It could work.

Watch Da Birdie

I'm down for Fire Emblem Musou! As Awakenings showed, the series already has a billion ready-made characters from its history to pick from.

Happy Zelda came first though. :)

Plus in Dynasty Warriors there are tons of levels where your goal is to rescue a character, possibly changing the story's course.

Perfect way to work in Fire Emblem's Perma-Death.

TreIII

Yeah, Kirby Musou would be pretty epic since all the copy powers already have combo attacks.

Plus switching Copy Powers on the fly, sucking up hordes of enemies, summoning Dyna Blade to attack for you...damn.

Not to mention that platforming in a Kirby game is pretty negligible, anyway. If anything, distilling the Kirby formula down to spectacle and ass kicking would be more or less what makes "traditional Kirby" what it is and also what Musou does so well.

If HAL somehow wasn't up to the job of doing this themselves (and giving us a full-3D Kirby game on the same token)? I could see this happening.

But I don't think you'd need to switch copy powers on the fly. If anything, I would say that Kirby should be able to get toned down versions of the movesets that other characters like Dedede, MK, Bandana Dee, Bugzzy and etc. would use as full-fledged characters.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I do. It's called "Hey, they'll actually put some of their A games on our system, let's work with them".

Started back in the Wii days though when third party relationships while bad weren't toxic and lasted through the early days of the the 3DS and Wii U.

Hiltz

If any other Nintendo franchise should get a Musou game, it should be Kirby. I mean, stylishly stomping over hordes of enemies is what Kirby does anyway.

As for "why Koei Tecmo". I think they're just the most malleable of the big Japanese publishers. They obviously aren't jumping ship to Nintendo platforms or anything like that. The other companies work with Nintendo too, although not as visibly or not as regularly. Sega and Nintendo did that Sonic deal and that Japan-only Yakuza port^2, regardless of how it worked out. When a new Monster Hunter rolls around, Nintendo builds controllers to Capcom's specifications.

Yeah, it does seem like Koei Tecmo is one of the more malleable Japanese publishers out there. It's not exactly well known for releasing high quality software, so it would seem foolish for them to pass up on an offer to work with Nintendo since it is a platform holder and has more resources to benefit Koei Tecmo's projects, particularly for localization releases. I mean, third party exclusives are becoming a nearly extinct business model. Although, releasing something on the Wii U as an exclusive is a risk in itself, but Nintendo's relationship with them appears to have grown fairly well. Of course, a game's sales are still a vital element to determining if a a franchise/new ip release as an exclusive proposal is a logical choice for Koei Tecmo to pursue in the future.

As for Hyrule Warriors, we do know that it was Koei Tecmo that came up with the idea to make the project and so they approached Nintendo with it.

CapHarlock

Neo Member
I kinda of wonder if it has something to do with using Nintendo's IP. Look at Square who made a number of games on Nintendo only consoles. At the same time Square was making Mario games like 3 on 3 and the Mario Sports games. Nintendo could be working something out with these companies to let them use their IPs the also have to put some of their other games on their console. Look at Sega as well with the Winter games with Mario and Sonic.

I kinda of wonder if it has something to do with using Nintendo's IP. Look at Square who made a number of games on Nintendo only consoles. At the same time Square was making Mario games like 3 on 3 and the Mario Sports games. Nintendo could be working something out with these companies to let them use their IPs the also have to put some of their other games on their console. Look at Sega as well with the Winter games with Mario and Sonic.

Square ain't going to touch the WiiU.

I do wonder what has happened to Ni-oh. Does anyone know what kind of game it was meant to be?

Lernaean

Banned
I'm glad I don't see the world through console-vision. It makes no sense to me that someone who likes Nintendo would not like anything on Playstation and vice versa.

Exactly, i would add that posting about gameplay and mechanics heavy games as unfitting for Nintendo hardware is a paradox in itself.

CapHarlock

Neo Member
Square ain't going to touch the WiiU.

I do wonder what has happened to Ni-oh. Does anyone know what kind of game it was meant to be?

Didn't they just trademark something for FF on the Wii U not too long ago. I really don't keep up with Square too much. DQ9 was the first game of their I had touched after FFX.

random25

I think despite Nintendo not having a great relationship with Western 3rd party devs/pubs, they pretty much have a solid ties with the Japanese ones. Aside from KT, there were a good number of partnerships/exclusives Nintendo got from its ties with Capcom, Bandai Namco, Level-5, PlatinumGames and SE (to some extent).

watershed

Banned
They seem to be a good studio for Nintendo to work with to fill the gaps between major Nintendo releases. I feel like their games are all serviceable to solid games with the exception of Other M (which was more of a Sakamoto and Team Ninja issue) and Spirit Camera which I heard was nearly unplayable due to tech limitations(?).

If Hyrule Warriors does well we can definitely expect more spinoff games from major Nintendo IPs.

MrT-Tar

What about Ninja Gaiden DS? I don't think Nintendo were involved, but that was a decent sized exclusive for the DS, especially given Itagaki's involvement

sörine;123125621 said:
Odd as DOA 3DS outsold all 3 of their Vita ports. Combined.

This was before the Vita was released: http://www.edge-online.com/news/hayashi-keen-dead-or-alive-crossover/
So I doubt he would say another thing about it since seeing the sales for their Vita titles.
What about Ninja Gaiden DS? I don't think Nintendo were involved, but that was a decent sized exclusive for the DS, especially given Itagaki's involvement
IIRC Itagaki decided with the DS because his kid wanted to see his games on it, so he made Ninja Gaiden DS.

Top Bottom