• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Xinput controller with good D-Pad?

Aru

I'm looking for a PC controller with a good D-Pad, that uses Xinput. Wired with long cable (2.5 meters minimum) or wireless (but probably not a 2.4Ghz model, since I already use wireless keyboard and mouse with a 2.4 Ghz dongle, it could interfere).

I found the Logitech F310, but read that it doesn't work great and the build quality is poor:
f310-gaming-gamepad-images.png

Other option but far more expensive: the Razer Sabertooth. The D-Pad looks really good and I like Dualshock-like D-Pad, so it could be what I'm looking for:
images

Other alternatives?

I have a DualShock 3 but it doesn't work well with the SCP driver I downloaded. Could be because of my bluetooth dongle, I don't know. Sometimes the controller doesn't respond.

Zomba13

If you have a DS4 (I like the dpad on it at least) I've found no trouble at all using that and this driver. I play with a USB cable plugged in though (that way I never run out of battery and it charges it for when I go back to the PS4).

Fliesen

If you have a DS4 (I like the dpad on it at least) I've found no trouble at all using that and this driver. I play with a USB cable plugged in though (that way I never run out of battery and it charges it for when I go back to the PS4).

why do you guys need a driver to use the DS4, especially in wired mode? - just for the touchpad?

i plugged mine in, it was detected right away and every button and analog trigger worked in device manager mode.

am i missing something here?

Bittercup

I have a DualShock 3 but it doesn't work well with the SCP driver I downloaded. Could be because of my bluetooth dongle, I don't know. Sometimes the controller doesn't respond.
Which one did you use? This should work really well: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller. I would use the DualShock 3 with the USB cable. Over bluetooth I had strange input lag problems.
Or if you have a DualShock 4 was well, rather that and the driver super-famicom mentioned above.

Corpekata

Banned
why do you guys need a driver to use the DS4, especially in wired mode? - just for the touchpad?

i plugged mine in, it was detected right away and every button and analog trigger worked in device manager mode.

It's Dinput by default. The vast majority of PC games are Xinput (popularized by Xbox 360 pads). So most people need additional software for ease of use, as it will trick games into thinking it's a 360 pad and you don't require rebinding any keys, as they default kinda weird if the game does not recognize the DS4 natively. A few newer indies like Transistor, Shovel Knight, and Mercenary Kings do, but it's rare.

Needs the driver to act as an xinput controller.

If you're just after the dpad without analog controls, the Madcatz Fightpad is brilliant. Works great for most indie titles.

Duxxy3

Dualshock 3 or 4.

Have not tried a Wii U pro controller though.

360 dpad is useless, XB1 is excellent for menu selection, but not as an active dpad.

It's Dinput by default. The vast majority of PC games are Xinput (popularized by Xbox 360 pads). So most people need additional software for ease of use, as it will trick games into thinking it's a 360 pad and you don't require rebinding any keys, as they default kinda weird if the game does not recognize the DS4 natively. A few newer indies like Transistor, Shovel Knight, and Mercenary Kings do, but it's rare.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The DS4 does work natively in OS X, though.

npa189

Xbox one controller. The Dpad is nice and clicky and it just works with a micro USB cable. The DS4 seems to be finicky with some games in my experience.

moolamb

Absolutely the Wii U Pro controller. With a little set up you can get it running on Bluetooth without an adapter, using vJoy and WiinUPro.

Edit: sorry I got Dinput confused with Xinput. The mayflash adapter is more convenient for Xinput.

Zomba13

Yup, this. In some games it's fine, such as the ones mentioned or ones where you can redefine button inputs (though they will come up with button 1, button 2 etc rather than a better known layout like abxy) but for a lot of games it's just xinput (360 stuffs) or you get what you're given which can lead to unintuitive control schemes. Like having triangle be jump in a platformer and having no way of changing it.

With the driver it also lets you do other things like set the light (which can be turned off, into a battery indicator or even a disco light show) and use the touchpad as a touchpad and pretty much guarantees no issues when playing games (as games will end up thinking it's a 360 pad and just act normally with the buttons where you'd expect them to be).

That one is no longer in active development but this fork is pretty good: http://dsdcs.com/index.php/portfolio/software-development/4-ds4windows

This is my preferred branch. With the initial tool I occasionally had issues (mostly in FFXIV for some reason) where the controller would disconnect (usually when zoning into a place or after using the keyboard/mouse for UI stuff). Even on the early versions or latest it happened. I switched to that branch and have had no issues at all.

I use a Wii U Pro controller with the Mayflash adapter. The adapter supports up to 4 controllers in direct input mode but only 1 in Xinput. I've been doing local co-op with the wife so I ended up getting a second adapter. I couldn't be happier. They work flawlessly.

My Logitech F710 has a switch on it. Build quality is magnificent. Much better than the previous Logitech models. Check it out. I also have tons of wireless stuff and I've never encountered interference. Seriously it's a great controller and right now it's my favourite.

JDHarbs

I've personally been using the F310 for a couple of years now and have never had a problem with it. It has the best game compatibility of any controller out there with its D-Input and X-Input switch, as well as its own keyboard-mapping software. Plus, its $20 at most to pick one up so that's what sold me on it.

The design is a mix of both the 360 and DS3 controllers. It basically takes the worst parts of each controller which is my only real complaint, but I'm used to them so I'm fine with it. Others won't be though.

Its been surprisingly durable too over that time. It still works just as good today as the day I bought it outside of the occasional calibration issue which is an easy fix.

I'd recommend it for anyone on a budget.

Also the Logitech controllers come their Logitech Gaming Software which will allow you to bind keys effortlessly as well as setting up commands and macros. I use it in just about all the games I play.

PensOwl

Banned
I use the X1 controller, the dpad is small and clicky, and it actually reminds me of the vita dpad more so than the ds4. It has native drivers for windows, which is a plus, but it seems to have issues being alongside the original xbox 360 controller software

The razer sabertooth is very much an acquired taste. The dpad is not at all like the dualshock controllers as each arrow is an individual button instead having them all connected underneath like the dualshocks. The face buttons are also absurdly sensitive, which is my biggest issue with the controller alongside reports of low build quality. I'd recommend finding a way to test it out before you commit to it.

CO_Andy

Controller doesn't work well even when it's usb connected?

You should consider investing in a new bluetooth dongle before investing in a new pad since they're only like a dollar anyway.

Fliesen

oh, thanks.

i must admit i didn't really try any game but merely fired up the control panel and tested whether every button "worked", which they all did.

good to know, in advance, though.

CO_Andy

^^
My USB cables are too short. I can't use those because comfy couch gaming.
That's why I mentionned the cable must be at least 2.5 meters long.
So I didn't try wired mode.

http://www.mayflash.com/Products/PCUSB/PS3003.html

Is this DS3 adapter any good?
Even if the cable is extremely short, you should still test it out to see if the problem is either the software or the dongle.

Mayflash's adapters are fantastic. They're highly recommended throughout shoryuken due to having extremely low input lag. It's a no-brainer purchase if you don't want to mess around with homebrew software.

Had a Razer Onza thingy as a PC controller but one of the sticks went kaput pretty quickly. While I'm sure that's just bad luck on my part and it's illogical, that's soured me a little on Razer products. So, based purely on the evidence of my one anecdote, I would hesitate to recommend you buy the Sabretooth wotsit up there.

Aru

Even if the cable is extremely short, you should still test it out to see if the problem is either the software or the dongle.

Mayflash's adapters are fantastic. They're highly recommended throughout shoryuken due to having extremely low input lag. It's a no-brainer purchase if you don't want to mess around with homebrew software.

Okay thanks. I think I'll buy a dongle from them, then.
I just need to find an online shop that ships it to Reunion Island :/

I'm partial to the XBone Controller, myself, D-Pad Wise on PC. But the Dual Shock 4 is almost just as good, only reason XBone wins out now is the native Xinput driver.

Both Sony and MS did really well on their controllers this time around, especially with the D-Pads, IMO.

WdzGW4G.jpg

I use this and love it, you can cycle through various led lights, red, blue, green etc, or just turn them off.
The D-Pad works great a HUGE improvement over the standard 360 controller, I use this for fighting games all the time with almost no issue at all, the only negative is the bumpers can sometimes be a little "sticky" especially if you hover your fingers close to them, but iv gotten used to it and can comfortable tap them now. There is also a PS3 version.

Auskeek

I'm in love with the Logitech F310, and it satisfies my needs perfectly but I can't recommend to everyone. Analog sticks have massive deadzones and both the shoulder bumpers and triggers are unpleasant to use.

Other than that, x-input makes it easy to use, dpad is awesome, and its cheap.

Card Boy

Banned
If your asking because you plan on playing fighting games then go for this. These are wired by the way and the D-Pad is fantastic although it may not look like it.

fightpads.jpg

Aru

If your asking because you plan on playing fighting games then go for this. These are wired by the way and the D-Pad is fantastic although it may not look like it.

fightpads.jpg

Yeah, it's for fighting games. Other games are fine with my 360 controller.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Which one did you use? This should work really well: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller. I would use the DualShock 3 with the USB cable. Over bluetooth I had strange input lag problems.
Or if you have a DualShock 4 was well, rather that and the driver super-famicom mentioned above.

Works flawlessly over Bluetooth for me, so that's probably an issue with your BT adapter/dongle. I use the one built into my MSI laptop.

I have an older model of the logitek pad in the op, the dpad served me well for vanilla SF4 back in the day.

I quite like the xbox one dpad but it's clicky which has it's moments.

XBOX One controller is great. A bit pricey though. It takes any micro-USB cable so you can get any length you want. D-Pad is much better than 360 pad. I think it's good although I'm no D-pad connoisseur.

omg_mjd

DS3 + SCP driver works great. I dedicated my laptop's built-in bluetooth to it and it's as responsive as a wired 360 pad, no lag at all. Only drawback is I can't use the laptop's bluetooth for anything else since I have SCP running all the time but the DS3 is the only device I ever use bluetooth for anyway.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Wii U Pro pad, as long as you don't mind picking up the Mayflash adapter or going through some hassle with the Bluetooth route.

Top Bottom