• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best d-pad I've ever used...the 8Bitdo Neo Geo controller

Holy moly, had this thing sitting in my office for a few days and finally got some time to plug it in and play some games. This thing is amazing! There's a few videos out there talking about it, but basically it's based off the Neo Geo CD pad and the d-pad is like shrunk down arcade stick.

I fired up SF3 and was doing special moves from both sides of the screen without issue. Legit amazing. I absolutely adore the Sega Saturn six button pad, and I definitely prefer the 6 button layout over the 4 button...but this d-pad really makes it worth it. I'll probably end up using this for SNES games, too.

Really blows my mind how much 3rd party controllers have improved over the years, I used to never touch 'em but I've used a few lately that have been quite impressive.

eWlVM11.jpg

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Have you tried it with platformers? Looks akward, but I'm interested.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
IMO:

Control Stick is fantastic. Just as clicky as the original, have great travel, and is very responsive.
Some folks might not like the face buttons and will say they feel "mushy" but they are also reproduced very well and feel like the original.
They added two shoulder buttons and I think these are a little tiny/thin but overall I know this is a byproduct of keeping the controller roughly the same depth/thickness as the original.

If you play retro games at all on pc or mister or [insert hardware of choice] you cannot go wrong with this controller especially for the price (Amazon US).

Whenever i read a thread about or hear talk of neogeo, i always flashback to this acene in Gone in 60 Seconds:

- Memphis Raines: ..... I saw three of these parked outside the local Starbucks this morning, which tells me only one thing. There's too many self-indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money!

Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam...

- Exotic Car Salesman: You would not be a self-indulgent wiener, sir... You'd be a connoisseur.

- Memphis Raines: Precisely. Champagne would fall from the heavens. Doors would open. Velvet ropes would part.

Last edited:
I have the same controller for the Neo Geo Mini but sometimes I can't pull off quarter and half circles when I need them. Maybe it's not exactly the same as yours but I don't find it 100% comfortable and reliable.

Tarin02543

I have the same controller for the Neo Geo Mini but sometimes I can't pull off quarter and half circles when I need them. Maybe it's not exactly the same as yours but I don't find it 100% comfortable and reliable.

The Mini controllers lack the microswitches and also have the wrong button placement, they are the worst.

This is a faithful reproduction, 8bitdo had to design and manufacture the miniature microswitches themselves

Have you tried it with platformers? Looks akward, but I'm interested.

I'm going to give it a go with Super Metroid. I tried some IGS beat 'em ups today and it felt amazing. Like going diagonal feels so much better than a standard d-pad, it's smooth but not mushy like if you were playing an 8-way directional game with an analog stick.

I prefer the 8bitdo M30, best fighting pad ever.
I bought that controller and I agree the D-Pad was amazing.....when it worked! After about a year it started "clicking" and getting stuck especially around the (hadouken zone) down-downright-right arrows. Cleaning didn't help, I had to resort to youtube tutorials on adding electrical tape as a fix so that the d-pad would work again. Now i'm nervous about buying more 8-bit-do controllers. I'll wait till more reviews come out....

cireza

I've got one of those, too! And a Retrobit Saturn 6 button but it doesn't feel anywhere near as good as the 8Bitdo. Perfect retro gaming controller for me would be the d-pad of the Neo Geo CD with the layout of the M30.

PPpArKS.jpg
Totally agree, this controller has the best dpad among all modern controllers I have tried. It works on Switch as well.

Neo Geo CD controller was excellent back then because it used micro sticks, so the feel was perfect. However, it was not that good for quick double taps in a single direction, and of course being a Neo Geo Controller, it lacked additional buttons on which we could bind several buttons. Would have helped.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Whenever i read a thread about or hear talk of neogeo, i always flashback to this acene in Gone in 60 Seconds:

- Memphis Raines: ..... I saw three of these parked outside the local Starbucks this morning, which tells me only one thing. There's too many self-indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money!

Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam...

- Exotic Car Salesman: You would not be a self-indulgent wiener, sir... You'd be a connoisseur.

- Memphis Raines: Precisely. Champagne would fall from the heavens. Doors would open. Velvet ropes would part.
lets-ride.gif

Haven't tried mine yet. It's currently charging. I love the design (first time I've tried a Neo Geo CD pad). I would prefer less travel on the stick. There's a lot of 'play' on it. Still feels cool though.

Neon Xenon

I've always wondered how the joystick on the Neo Geo pad felt and why it was praised so much. Until this thread, I wasn't aware that 8BitDo had made their own pad to replicate that. So while it's not a high priority, I do want to get this pad at some point, just to see how that joystick feels to use.

I've got one of those, too! And a Retrobit Saturn 6 button but it doesn't feel anywhere near as good as the 8Bitdo. Perfect retro gaming controller for me would be the d-pad of the Neo Geo CD with the layout of the M30.

PPpArKS.jpg

I bought the Bluetooth version of the M30 pad nearly three years ago in 2019 to use with Saturn and Genesis emulation, and it's still one of the most comfortable gamepads I've ever used. Not just for the D-Pad, which is nice to use in itself. The entire thing feels very nice to hold and use for extended periods.

Crayon

If you are crafty, you can lower these. I've got the one on my ngpc dumped. Like seriously, no fat chicks.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
For me the real test of a D-pad would be Mortal Kombat with all its back forward taps.

Top Bottom