• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet (series) was a huge waste of energy for Capcom

FloatOn

Thinking back on the past generation I can count a great deal of missteps by companies across the board, but... Lost Planet as a franchise kind of bothers me the more I think about it. I played the first and second game and they were the epitome of average on every level and then I think 12 people or so played the third.

I'm glad that there was a new IP in their stable but they had that more than covered with the much more successful Dead Rising.

And don't get me wrong, I love the B or even C tier game (I played Defiance and EDF Insect Armageddon) but when considering what Capcom could have done instead it's most bothersome indeed.

I don't think Capcom is blind to the fact that there is a laundry list of franchises that the fans want. Consider that the following could have been made instead of Lost Planet:

Dino Crisis
Onimusha
PowerStone
Maximo (Ghouls and Ghost)
Darkstalkers

The list goes on. Personally, I think a much better use of MT Framework would be a Dino Crisis game. It's something I've wanted since Resident Evil 4. But hey, it's nice to want things.

Also, I'll apologize if this was too much on the rant side of things. I just hope that Capcom doesn't turn as much of a blind eye to the fan favorite games this go around.

I think Lost Planet 3 is much better then it's given credit for.

And I wouldn't say it was an waste of energy. It made them money, and I got some interesting games out of it.

dcelw540

personally the first game was just okay but the second was incredibly fun with co-op. never played 3 because the game seemed to generic now

topplehat

The 1st one was neat, but it seems like Capcom got restless with it and made the 2nd and 3rd entries very different.

FourMyle

LP2 was the best TPS of last gen and EX Troopers was also a great game. Dino Crisis 2 was a complete bore and I'm glad they didn't waste money on that series.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I disagree. LP1 had a good SP. The multiplayer battle were a lot of fun. The story was completely confusing though.

LP2 is probably one of the best 4 player coop experiences I ever had.

The rail gun part is my favorite.

LX_Theo

Banned
So, basically... Stop making original series because you could be making all these sequels! Great attitude for the industry to adopt.

First one was one of my games of the generation. To be fair, at that point in time a new IP appealing to Japan and the West was probably looked upon as being a better option financially than anything you listed.

Mesoian

Thinking back on the past generation I can count a great deal of missteps by companies across the board, but... Lost Planet as a franchise kind of bothers me the more I think about it. I played the first and second game and they were the epitome of average on every level and then I think 12 people or so played the third.

I'm glad that there was a new IP in their stable but they had that more than covered with the much more successful Dead Rising.

And don't get me wrong, I love the B or even C tier game (I played Defiance and EDF Insect Armageddon) but when considering what Capcom could have done instead it's most bothersome indeed.

I don't think Capcom is blind to the fact that there is a laundry list of franchises that the fans want. Consider that the following could have been made instead of Lost Planet:

Dino Crisis
Onimusha
PowerStone
Darkstalkers

The list goes on. Personally, I think a much better use of MT Framework would be a Dino Crisis game. It's something I've wanted since Resident Evil 4. But hey, it's nice to want things.

Also, I'll apologize if this was too much on the rant side of things. I just hope that Capcom doesn't turn as much of a blind eye to the fan favorite games this go around.

Naw, Lost Planet 1 and 2 were pretty great, 2's biggest problem were random unlocks and one of the worst netcode that Capcom has ever come up with. Well that and a blatant disregard for knowing how breasts work. Some DOA1 breasts physics in that mess.

But Lost Planet 1, man that game sings.

In the early days of me owning a PS3, I used to play Lost Planet 1's online multiplayer demo for days.

I made a lot of friends from it, it's a shame they don't sign on as much but then again I don't sign on as much on my PS3 either. :(

Part 3 is better than you think it is.

I bought it on a Steam sale based on a GAF recommendation and had a lot of fun. It borrows a lot from Dead Space, really well done story and a great main character

Justmarbz

Neo Member
I thought they were pretty average games as well, although I enjoyed lp2 more. Your post reminds me how much I want a new edf! And now I'm kinda sad.

Part 3 is better than you think it is.

I bought it on a Steam sale based on a GAF recommendation and had a lot of fun. It borrows a lot from Dead Space, really well done story and a great main character

Yup. Spark outdid themselves with the storytelling. They really did a lot of good on an limited budget.

It had soul.

Razlo

LP1, 2 and Ex Troopers were great games though.

Yeah I agree with this. Maybe they weren't for you, and clearly Capcom didn't do the right things with the series to ensure it became a hit, but as a gamer, I'm happy I got 3 really fun games.

Krakn3Dfx

Disagree, enjoyed all 3 games to some degree, and coop in LP2 was one of my favorite experiences of last gen.

If they profited on them and people enjoyed them, then they weren't a waste.

I don't think it was a waste at all. I had tons of fun with the Lost Planet: Extreme Condition campaign and I'm going to replay it soon. The second had, judging by my limited time with it, a pretty cool multiplayer. It's just a shame that it wasn't marketed properly.

Fezan

Lost planet was a good game with stupid last act. But capcom themselves lost track of what made it good. And sequel came out too late. It could have easily been a 2 3 million selling franchise

FloatOn

lol if you think any of these are A-tier games

I think I qualified those as "fan favorites"

So, basically... Stop making original series because you could be making all these sequels! Great attitude for the industry to adopt.

I'm pretty sure I commented on that as well. Dead Rising took off while Lost Planet did not. They could have cut their losses and done more with their legacy of other franchises.

I'm all about the fresh IP but companies should be aware of what works and what doesn't.

I'll also go ahead and reiterate that I didn't HATE the first two games. I just thought they were forgettable in the scheme of things.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Capcom didn't really know how to handle the series and so we ended up getting a series that went in a variety of directions. Personally I love 1, adore 3 and hated 2 but other fans feel differently. I also consider 3 to be extremely underrated and one of my favourite games of the last few years so I'm very happy it got made at least :)

TheHall

Lost Planet 1 was awesome, both the SP and the MP.

I wish more games had grenades that spawned explosive balloons.

Manp

first one was a good game in a moment when... well, there were no "nextgen" games, good or bad.
they should have stopped there, not everything needs to be a trilogy especially if you clearly have no idea what you want to do with the franchise.

:)

Lost Planet 2 always seemed like it was attempt to combine Monster Hunter (which Japan likes) and third-person shooters (the West). It's an idea that has merit if it could possibly be done successfully. Not sure if it can.

Dino Crisis
Onimusha
PowerStone
Darkstalkers

Only Dino Crisis could be a shooter. So really only that game would Capcom would want to be made instead. Sigh, modern games.

Top Bottom