• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical retail games we might as well just throw away

Quick Note: This is not a thread about games you don't like or games you'd just assume throw away because you think they're crap. Rather, it's about those games which are no longer playable in any form because they either had little to no single player component or they were solely played online and no longer have active servers or any way to have a peer to peer set up in order to play. Games you quite literally can no longer play.

MAG - Huge game that became a highlight of one of Sony's E3 conferences and now it's just a fading memory. Own a retail copy of this game? Might as well throw it away, it's useless.

Warhawk - Correct me if I'm wrong on this but I believe Sony shut down the servers for this game as well..? Once again, your game has become a coaster. Might as well throw it away.
edit: I've been corrected on this one. Servers still up, and even when they go down people can host their own. Great news.

DC Universe Online - Ever since this game became free to play, the retail disc I bought years ago for the PS3 became obsolete. Plus I moved on to PS4 anyway. (And then I just moved on completely.) Another useless disc, worthless.

I was trying to think of more, and I know there are some but I'm drawing a blank. I was thinking about Chrome Hounds for the 360, but that game at least had a sorta/kinda single player element to it, as limited as it was.

Oh, and I do actually own Warhawk and DC Universe physically. But I'm not throwing them away.

ZangBa

Warhawk is one of the only retail games I kept because it was worth about a nickel at Gamestop. IIRC it stills works.

I think Warhawk is still up, but yeah this will become an even bigger issue in the future as games move more toward the always connected service model.

I still have a copy of this, in shrinkwrap, believe it or not:

AVRq8sG.jpg

Phantasy Star Universe (PC)

The online mode was passable but the servers went down quite a while ago, and the offline story mode is awful.

Ironically, the game has no DRM or CD keys. You can install the game on as many PCs as you like with a single disc.

playXray

I've still got all my original WoW installation CDs - not sure anyone in their right mind would try installing from these and then patching to the latest version :)

Mikaju

I just threw away all my retail Steamworks games boxes and discs. Also huge Age Of Conan collectors edition, saved the faux leather map though.

There's a business opportunity here somewhere.

I don't think they would ever let a third party run servers on a game they shut down due to the possibility of it cannibalizing a potential newer release.

I just threw away all my retail Steamworks games boxes and discs. Also huge Age Of Conan collectors edition, saved the faux leather map though.

See, I also have boxed games that unlocked on steam but I just can't bring myself to do something like this.

BigDes

Any MMO or Steam game once you have entered the cd key.

Though it is worth keeping a few of the steam boxes in case you need to ever retrieve your account

Acosta

I have physical copies of Vanguard, Warhammer Online and Tabula Rasa. :(

I won't throw them away but it makes me somewhat sad to remember how hyped I was for them in the day.

Elija2

Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2 for Xbox has an offline mode, but for whatever reason you still require an Xbox Live account to play it. Since Xbox Live was shut down for the OG Xbox a while ago, the game is essentially useless.

Duke Nukem forever. You can buy it for pennies now. No one wants them, we should melt them into a statue of poop.

Guitar Hero and Rock Band games, practically useless without the instruments.

Recall

One of my favourite FPS games in MAG is a pointless own now. And it still hurts considering how much fun was to be had once you began to understand that it had some unique ideas.

Throw away? Nah. All my original Final Fantasy XI boxes/expansions and my Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 Collector's Edition will stay with me forever.

Madao

i did have one "game" that fit this thread but i sold it on ebay for like $40 since it was the 64DD Randnet disk and that thing is worth a few bucks even if it doesn't work at all (it was the software to go online with the 64DD)

while i don't have any games like that now, it's a pretty weird and scary feeling owning a game that just doesn't work anymore because time passed. most things stop working once they break but these games aren't broken and they still don't work.

this is one of the looming dangers of digital distribution in locked platforms like consoles.

Top Bottom