• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Access are permanent says Peter Moore

Dragon

Banned
I'm not sure how valuable a game like FIFA 14 is when the next version is out on EA Access as well but good on them regardless.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
That's brilliant. So I can play those game regardless of them removing it from the vault in future. Kinda makes it exactly like PS+ and GWG. Only better.

Nevermind. Cool stuff!

LOL no, you have to be subscribe to the service to play those games.

woo, you edited

So do I take EA at their word:

"I think one of the key things is that once a game goes into the Vault it stays there, it's not going to be taken out, that's a commitment we've made."

Or EA at their TOS:

EA reserves the right to change and update the EA Access Services, and the EA Content offered through the EA Access Services without any liability to you. In particular, Vault Titles are subject to change and may be removed, and the online services for certain Vault Titles may be discontinued. In the event that EA changes the EA Access Services, including the removal of Vault Titles or discontinuation of online services for certain Vault Titles, we will provide thirty (30) days advance notice to you by posting a notice on http://www.ea.com/eaaccess.

gazele

Banned
My question is how long will the servers be up for these games (see mlb the show and most ea online games)

But this is cool none the less

Kayant

You get to keep games by just subscribing for one month?

Mostly likely not. It would probably work like GwG (XB1) and PS+ when u need the sub to play.

Kinda surprised at this although it's still similar to GwG and PS+ that you can re download the games when you want difference being you don't need to claim it as titles will always be listed in the vault selection.

Edit -

Going by what's said here at least

Why would you want to play last years sports games when the new one hits?

I feel this service may be worth something in 5 years or so, when they have a siazeable catalogue

Dragon

Banned
It doesn't seem like they've really thought this through. You get to keep the games, and those added to the service are never removed? This sounds too generous to make business sense.

If the games are only valuable at certain times of the year I think it's okay for them. I would be surprised if they put a popular single player game like Mass Effect on there though.

Okay, but when I opt out, do I get to keep my games?

Why would you be able to play any of these games without a sub? It's just a vault that everyone has access to, regardless of when you joined.

Definitely a great move, even if it's kind of silly with sports titles.

yea seems kind of pointless to keep the annual sports games there. after a few years they'll shut down the servers and be left with a single player game with newer ones to pick from

Andodalf

Banned
That's brilliant. So I can play those game regardless of them removing it from the vault in future. Kinda makes it exactly like PS+ and GWG. Only better.

They will never be removed from the vault though? Didn't he just say that? So no, not like ps+ or gwg. The number of games offered will go up forever.

I think the game removal policy will mostly be because of licenses. Let's say they lose their Lord Of The Rings license. It would make sense to remove it from the vault.

Oh, and let's not forget all the music licenses

Why would you want to play last years sports games when the new one hits?

I feel this service may be worth something in 5 years or so, when they have a siazeable catalogue

To me they're pretty much all the same. I'd be perfectly happy playing last year's games, or older.

BriGuy

It doesn't seem like they've really thought this through. You get to keep the games, and those added to the service are never removed? This sounds too generous to make business sense.

Most of the titles that end up in the vault will be essentially worth nothing anyway. That's not to say they're bad or worthless games, but who's going to pay anything for a sports game with a five year outdated roster?

K' Dash

post-20629-I-Dont-Believe-You-gif-Anchorm-JFIx.gif

I think that says a lot about the quality of games you'd be getting going forward. Either really old or not worth very much.

£30 a year for a massive vault of excellent games that gets larger and larger? Not going to happen.

I dont think this will appeal to sports gamers at all. most people like the new version on release day... so isnt that the majority of what makes up ea's user base? I'm playing madden 15 on release, not a year later.. not 6 months.. but release and ea is never putting new games in the vault. So what value does this service really have?

Tripon

If the games are only valuable at certain times of the year I think it's okay for them. I would be surprised if they put a popular single player game like Mass Effect on there though.

Why would you be able to play any of these games without a sub? It's just a vault that everyone has access to, regardless of when you joined.

Games for Gold, you used to be able to keep your games before they changed the policy.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
i think that is a legal thing. What if for some reason they couldn't legally hand out that game anymore?

Yeah, if a licence expired or distribution rights changed hands from EA to another party, then EA would have to remove the game from the "vault" as it wouldn't legally be able to provide said game (not to be confused with revoking access to it in general -- those who'd actually bought it would of course still be able to download and play it even if circumstances necessitated its removal from the subscription service).

Haunted

Okay, but when I opt out, do I get to keep my games?
Nope.

Think of it as renting the key to the vault where EA keeps some of their old games. You don't control what games go in there and you can't keep any of them. Give back the key and you can't go into the vault anymore.

Bgamer90

Banned
I dont think this will appeal to sports gamers at all. most people like the new version on release day... so isnt that the majority of what makes up ea's user base? I'm playing madden 15 on release, not a year later.. not 6 months.. but release and ea is never putting new games in the vault. So what value does this service really have?

You do know that the service is also for playing sports games before release date on top of getting a 10% discount on both the game(s) and DLC right?

It's already appealing to many sports gamers.

For example, Madden, FIFA, and NHL all come out within a month period. So for $5, someone could save $11 getting those three games, play all three early, and get discounts on DLC during the month period.

Tain

From Moore's quote it sounds pretty close to Games With Gold XO or PS Plus: once you get a game, you get to keep playing it as long as you pay for the service. They're just saying that you'll always be able to get a given game, unlike those others.

It does not at all sound like you get to "keep" the game (like Games With Gold 360), where you can stop paying for the service and play your games forever.

Games for Gold, you used to be able to keep your games before they changed the policy.

there was no change in policy. you still keep the games you get on Xbox 360. they added Xbox One games and those require an ongoing subscription, but that was an added tier, not a change in policy .

TeRey09

I think the game removal policy will mostly be because of licenses. Let's say they lose their Lord Of The Rings license. It would make sense to remove it from the vault.

Oh, and let's not forget all the music licenses
Makes sense for sports licenses as well.

Top Bottom