• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheese is gouda! |OT| Cows and sheep and goats living together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrisus

Following up on "terrisus presents: Broccoli is beautiful! |OT| Yours may be slaw or rabe," we have for you now:

maxcriden presents: Cheese is gouda! |OT| Cows and sheep and goats living together!

This isn't going to be as detailed an examination of cheese, nor of the many varied ways it can be used (since, as most of GAF knows, I'm horrible with cooking), but more just a general overview of the many cheeses that are out there, to give an idea of just how awesome cheese is. Thanks maxcriden!

Let's start with a favorite:
Mozzarella

Traditionally made from Italian buffalo milk, this cheese also shows up in other parts of the world from cow's milk as well. Your first experience with this cheese may have been like this:

GHRBEps.jpg

But, really, it's so much more. Take a piece of this, and you can just bite right into it:
VKmwAzn.jpg

You may also find fresh mozzarella in your grocery store looking like this:
cvLhkdO.jpg

You may also be a fan of this:
xC0KoYH.jpg

There's much more to be said in favor of mozzarella. It could even have its own OT. Such a delicious and versatile cheese.

But, let's move on to another favorite of many:
Cheddar

QNglKFl.jpg

This guy is originally from Cheddar, in the UK. I'm personally not as big a fan of cheddar, but it seems to have become quite popular somehow. Cheddar comes in both traditional and "sharp" varieties, and can also be found in white:

pgFAO1C.jpg

Another way to encounter cheddar is aged

pGzWWR9.png

Aging of cheddar can last from a few years to a few decades. Hey, who says that old cheese isn't good anymore?

Speaking of cheese that's been sitting around for a while, another fun thing to do with cheese is to let it get moldy. Which brings us to a sadly underappreciated cheese:
Gorgonzola

khHnJgX.jpg

This cheese, made from cow's milk, gets bacteria added to it to produce a bluish mold through the cheese. Sound delicious? Well, it is!

fPAw8Xc.jpg

This cheese is alright on its own, but really is best when added to other stuff. Garlic bread, pizza, pasta, or pretty much anything else where you have any other cheese - just toss some gorgonzola in for a bit of an extra kick!

For something a bit different, we also have:
Feta

wuoz3jH.jpg

This cheese is commonly found made from goat's milk, but can be made with sheep milk as well.

So, hey, if you find yourself in Greece, and you come across something milk-producing, go to town on it!

And, to wrap things up with another favorite of mine:
Provolone

Another good, solid Italian cheese (I'll admit, I have a bias for Italian cheeses)

JUtROB2.jpg

This is another guy who comes in both sharp and mild.

Delicious on just about everything, and great on its own as well.

There are plenty more great cheeses beyond these, of course:
Swiss, Ricotta, Gouda, Monterey Jack, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and countless others. This is just a starting point to get people talking.

I know this wasn't the most detailed OP, and certainly not fully deserving of the maxcriden seal of quality, but it's a good starting off point for a discussion of everyone's favorite food item: Cheese!

One final note:

If you're doing this:

8ldJOXG.jpg

You're doing it wrong.
Please forfeit your cheese card at the door and be on your way.

To celebrate our new thread, here are some extra pictures of cheese and cheese-related items to get your thoughts going. Feel free to add plenty of your own as well.

xPvxqxd.jpg

r7oUCwf.jpg

EBLOyJE.jpg

Oh, please don't pronounce "gouda" as "goo-dah". everytime you do that a Dutch boy loses his wooden shoes. It's ok if you can't pronounce the Dutch G, but the ou is not difficult, it's just like in "loud". Thank you.

terrisus

Oh yeah, side note regarding my love of cheese:

I was out in Wisconsin a few years ago, and was making a grilled cheese sandwich with various kinds of cheeses...
And the person I was making it with told me I was putting too much cheese on it.

I mean... Really...

Being told, in Wisconsin, by someone from Wisconsin...
That I was using "Too much cheese?"

Utter nonsense!

Nachos

Oh, please don't pronounce "gouda" as "goo-dah". everytime you do that a Dutch boy loses his wooden shoes. It's ok if you can't pronounce the Dutch G, but the ou is not difficult, it's just like in "loud". Thank you.

How's the Dutch " G" pronounced? Can you think of any English words that have a similar sound?

This thread, like all of your other ones, is cheesy.
<3

My favorite type of cheese is gouda, but I'm looking forward to trying out some of these other recommendations.
Good thread!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Yep, cheese is p. much one of the best food things ever.

Shame about all those lactosians, there fave foods could never.

does anybody know of good brands that use microbial/vegetable enzymes? Also any good ones that go on crackers/bagel chips. I've had brie and I forget what else, but not a big fan of brie's taste.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I think my favorite cheese of all time is just mozzarella. But I like provolone, sharp and mild cheddar, spicy jack and Parmesan cheese that is very sharp. Romano cheese has been used in the past but I like my cheese from cows mostly.

Feta cheese is very good as well.

terrisus

I know, it's just a play on words/spelling :þ

This thread, like all of your other ones, is cheesy.
<3

My favorite type of cheese is gouda, but I'm looking forward to trying out some of these other recommendations.
Good thread!

Bite that cheese!

image.php

Ultryx

I love cheese so fucking much. Nothing better than a good Cheese & Wine Party.

Perhaps throw some meat in there too? I've always wanted to throw one or go to one. I haven't yet. Closest to that was when I took my girlfriend to a really nice romantic restaurant. They serve you some thin slice meats, some apple slices, different cheeses, some bread, and some from-scratch made mustards. It was delicous!

terrisus

I love cheese so fucking much. Nothing better than a good Cheese & Wine Party.

Good thing there's hundreds to choose from too. :D

A timeshare resort we would go to for a week in the summer when I was younger always had a Cheese and Wine party the 2nd night of the week.
The cheese would have little toothpicks in them - my sister and I would compete to see who got the most toothpicks :þ

You're alright, terrisus.

This thread has finally redeemed me <3

Brakke

Banned
Already workshopped this joke so I know it's going to land:

yA4Wuut.gif

Anyway, cheese is great. My favorite cheese delivery format:

Dipping-broccoli-in-fondue.png

Aww yiss Swiss fondue: rub down your favorite fondue pot with garlic, bring some dry white wine to simmer, melt in shredded emmentaler and gruyere lightly dusted with some flour and paprika (or cayenne if you're feeling nasty). Bring to the gentlest bubble, do not let it boil. Enjoy with some stale or toasted bread, or your favorite fruits and vegetables! Broccoli is the best dipper: grab by the stalk and those delicious, tender little florets function like awesome and nutritious cheese velcro.

Brakke

Banned
My Wisconsin-side great-grandpa was in the hospital with serious constipation and digestive troubs once. He was like 85 or older at the time. Doc asked him about his diet and then concluded "well, I think you just need to eat less cheese, sir". His eyes misted over and he said "well I guess there's no joy for me left on this Earth; it's been a good run" and promptly died.

n64coder

I just checked a few online dictionaries and they all do the goo-duh form. Never heard anyone say it like "loud" before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom