• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creator of Unicorn Overlord’s jiggly food also made the characters “jiggle”

20240319-28661-001-960x640.jpg

Vanillaware games have always been sprinkled with gastronomic indulgence, and their latest hit tactical SPRG Unicorn Overlord likewise delivers a bunch of mouth-watering food scenes, which have only contributed to the game’s virality so far. Recently, the “culprit” behind Unicorn Overlord’s lavish food animations has come forward, also confirming their involvement in the title’s female characters becoming “thick,” as well as previous Vanillaware games.
20240319-28661-header.jpg

In Unicorn Overlord, meals are an important part of building rapport among your troops. Units that fight in the same squad will naturally build rapport after each battle, but visiting the Tavern for a group meal is an effective way to reinforce the bonds between those you don’t deploy in the same squad. Aside from this important practical role, Unicorn Overlord’s developers have also made sure the food looks mesmerizingly appetizing. Recently, one player, touched by the game’s sparkly strawberry cake slices, pleaded for their creator to reveal themselves, and surprisingly earned a response.

Post translation: The food just looks so bouncy and delicious. Who made this? I want to praise you, show yourself!

“It was me,” came a simple reply from Japanese graphic designer and game developer Shigatake. In subsequent responses to users, Shigatake further clarifies that he carefully hand-crafted the food animation in Unicorn Overlord. It seems his concept for Unicorn Overlord’s food was a “western version” of the food in Muramasa: The Demon Blade, which he also worked on. Muramasa is another Vanillaware title known for its good-looking Japanese dishes and desserts. However, Shigatake clarifies that he is not the creator of the food seen in Vanillaware’s Dragon’s Crown, crediting another artist called Yamashita. According to an interview with 4Gamer, Shigatake and Yamashita seem to have a healthy rivalry over who’s going to create the most advanced food graphics.
Shigatake has also mentioned his involvement in the design of Unicorn Overlord’s heroines, commenting that he was unable to control his “habits,” which resulted in in Yunifi’s thick thighs and Scarlet’s impressive bosom. As an aside, Shigatake is currently working on a shoot ‘em up game titled Devil Blade Reboot. It is scheduled to be released in 2024 on Steam.

Isa

That's awesome! Makes me wonder, if he did Muramasa then did the other gent Yamashita do the animations and such for the fine ladies in Dragon's Crown as well? Or did he have a hand or two there?

Regardless, great work all around and my girlfriend constantly visits the taverns to observe all the recipes lol. Same thing when we play Dragon's Crown, she makes us stop to eat any chance she gets haha. One of those extra touches I love about Japanese games, Like a Dragon/Yakuzas, Monster Hunters maybe even DD2 from a bit I saw. Hell even some Mario/Peach games too.

near

Gold Member
That's awesome! Makes me wonder, if he did Muramasa then did the other gent Yamashita do the animations and such for the fine ladies in Dragon's Crown as well? Or did he have a hand or two there?

Shigatake definitely worked on Amazon's animations in DC, he even wanted her ass to jiggle, but they wouldn't let him :messenger_tears_of_joy:

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Isa

Shigatake definitely worked on Amazon's animations in DC, he even wanted her ass to jiggle, but they wouldn't let him :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Haha man, now I'm wondering what could've been. That's it, I demand a remake or remaster with improved animations and a few new areas. Shigatake is the hero we need but don't deserve.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not an anime art fan, but if other anime game studios made their art like Vanillaware which is one part anime style, and one part detailed painted look, I'd appreciate the art style more. But some reason when it comes to anime its super crude with a lot of flat colours.

Last edited:
Top Bottom