• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon: Pre-order information after Gamescom, Wii U saw greatest pre-order increase

Sendou

Pre-orders for Project CARS and Rise of the Tomb Raider spiked by 42% and 30% per cent respectively throughout Gamescom week, Amazon has revealed.

Other games benefiting from Gamescom week include Bloodborne, Hyrule Warriors and Remedy's Quantum Break, which received its debut gameplay reveal during the show.

Wii U games received the greatest pre-order increase on average, rising by 8.67%, with PS4 coming in second place at 5.16%. Xbox One pre-order sales, meanwhile, limped in at 2.81%.

1. Project CARS (Slightly Mad Studios) 42.3 per cent increase
2. Rise of the Tomb Raider (Square Enix) 30.25 per cent increase
3. Bloodborne (Sony) 16.08 per cent increase
4. Hyrule Warriors (Nintendo) 11.77 per cent increase
5. Quantum Break (Microsoft) 10.77 per cent increase
6. Far Cry 4 (Ubisoft) 9.53 per cent increase
7. Assassin's Creed Unity (Ubisoft) 9.44 per cent increase
8. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (Warner Bros) 9.03 per cent increase
9. Battlefield: Hardline (EA) 8.81 per cent increase
10. Super Smash Bros for 3DS (Nintendo) 7.56 per cent increase

Sources: http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/proje...ider_pre-orders_spike_following_gamescom.html & http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/wii-u-pre-orders-increase-the-most-after-gamescom-says-amazon/0137279

Foshy

Wii U games received the greatest pre-order increase on average, rising by 8.67%, with PS4 coming in second place at 5.16%. Xbox One pre-order sales, meanwhile, limped in at 2.81%.
Can someone explain how this works exactly?

XB1 has 2 exclusives in the Top 5 here, but overall the pre-orders rose the least. Sure, multiplats, but how does that fit with the Wii U being first and only 1 exclusive being up there?

Even if it is because Wii U has less games coming up than the others, I can't see how you'd reach a 8.67% average.

Sure, this statistic doesn't mean much anyway I guess, but I'm curious

KJRS_1993

The Call of Duty audience probably doesn't know what Gamescom is.

Not trying to make fun or anything, it's just how it is. Most of the CoD audience follows CoD, not gaming as a whole.

I know lots of people like that to be honest.

Not that it's a bad thing cause this year's Call of Duty looks friggin awesome.
Did Nintendo show much for Gamescom? I didn't even know they were there!

Daemul

The Call of Duty audience probably doesn't know what Gamescom is.

Not trying to make fun or anything, it's just how it is. Most of the CoD audience follows CoD, not gaming as a whole.

I'm not going to lie, I myself never knew what Gamescom was until last month, and the first time I ever heard about the existence of E3 was last year March when I discovered GAF.

So the source is an amazon press release apparently. Guess it is a non-public one.

My thoughts are pre-orders usually increase with proximity to release date, I don't really know dates these days but Hyrule Warriors is pretty close and is out in Japan giving more info, plus it has an attractive price here in the UK as the £40 allows for it to be sold at £30. In others words Gamescom might not be the correlating factor.

The rest of that very abridged list doesn't tell me about the effect felt on any other Wii U games nor the sample size (pre-order increases on what, games at gamescom all games for that system?)

ocean

Banned
fastest_growing.png

Yeah, not sure how meaningful this is given how low the absolute numbers are. It's still positive though. I will definitely pick up a U once Zelda hits

69wpm

XB1 has 2 exclusives in the Top 5 here, but overall the pre-orders rose the least. Sure, multiplats, but how does that fit with the Wii U being first and only 1 exclusive being up there?

Even if it is because Wii U has less games coming up than the others, I can't see how you'd reach a 8.67% average.

I'd say they only listed the top 10 most pre-oredered games, but for the whole statistic used all games you can pre-order right now on Amazon, mainly 2015 titles.

NHale

Surprised that Call of Duty ain't up there.

Maybe people that wanted COD already preordered it before Gamescom? I would guess most COD fans preorder it as soon as it is announced.

And without knowing how this formula work it's not worth making many conclusions, because if they are calculating increase in regards to total preorders, it can mean that a game like Project Cars has 10 preorders before Gamescom. 4 people preorder during the show. It's a 40% increase in preorders.

COD has 20000 preorders before Gamescom. 1200 people preorder it during gamescom = 6% increase.

Ponn

Banned
Percentage's can be tricky, that's why politicians and PR people love them. Not trying to take anything away from Nintendo but if they are strictly going by past preorder numbers and Wii U has a smaller userbase it woudn't take as many people to raise a percentage as it would for other games.

I find that Rise of the Tomb Raider number most interesting here. After all the backlash online about it and, well, there you go.

Because it's not saying Wii U got the most pre-orders, the number of pre-orders for Wii U games saw the largest percentage increase. Meaning the amount of change seen as a percentage was highest. Not that it had the literal most pre-orders. If one system has 500,000 pre-orders and it increases by 25,000 and another system has like 90,000 pre-orders and it increases by 10,000 it has a higher percentage increase compared to the first.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well, this is about percentages, and it's easy to have better increase in percentages if the basis is smaller.

On the other hand all Wii U games (except Sonic Boom) are demoing extremely well. And there were a lot of people trying them there. It also helps that Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2 are coming in the next 2 months I guess. Whoever buys COD and Assassins Creed and FIFA doesn't do it based on Gamescom anyhow.

Banned
So what you're saying Op is, the tomb raider is rising because the platform it's on is falling? :p

Nice to see Hyrule Warriors getting some love. Never thought a Musou game would be anticipated outside of japan. Maybe I underestimated the Zelda IP on the west.

Ponn

Banned
Doesnt seem to help XB1 sales though.

I don't really see that happening at all, well not on its own anyways. It's one of those games that people add to a list that when it reaches enough they will say "ok time to buy a Xbox One"

What I find curious about that though is there was a large enough contingent of Xbox owners that saw/heard the announcement and decided to go and immediately support it with a preorder.

Foshy

Because it's not saying Wii U got the most pre-orders, the number of pre-orders for Wii U games saw the largest percentage increase. Meaning the amount of change seen as a percentage was highest. Not that it had the literal most pre-orders. If one system has 500,000 pre-orders and it increases by 25,000 and another system has like 90,000 pre-orders and it increases by 10,000 it has a higher percentage increase compared to the first.

Yeah I got that. Just not sure how an average of +8.67% is possible when the highest game is at +11.77% and the second at +7.56%.

Unless the average come from absolute numbers across all titles and not from the percentages of the single games.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah I got that. Just not sure how an average of +8.67% is possible when the highest game is at +11.77% and the second at +7.56%.

Unless the average come from absolute numbers across all titles and not from the percentages of the single games.

Hyrule Warriors being a big seller confirmed. (7.56 is SSB 4 for 3ds not Wii U)

ethomaz

Banned
Wii U fighting for the second place... I didn't expect anything less.

MS Gamescom was something 2015 without new games too.

Top Bottom