• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U September Conference Summary Thread

jerd

Not true. It adds an additional $50 if you select the deluxe. So it's $459 for Deluxe plus game plus pro controller. Not better than buying them all separately.

Saw that later but I guess I forgot to update it. However, if you were wanting the white or don't want NintendoLand it seems like an excellent deal. $350 for the white basic with a game and an extra controller ($360 if you choose the pro though).

maybe someone can answer this: How much effort is it to get an existing game running on Wii-U? From what i heard, not that much effort. So how much effort, REALISTICLY, is it to try and see if things can be slightly improved then (framerate, or/and resolution, or/and texture detail, or/and Anti aliassing)?

I have no idea where to ask about sales related stuff, but it doesn't seem like the Wii U has a general thread any more. Does anyone know what happened to the gamestop trade in deal for a Wii U? I know I saw it a couple of days ago, but it seems to have disappeared from the site.

This will definitely put a huge damper on my purchase of the Wii U next year if they closed the trade in offers so quickly.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Anyone know if Wiimote controls are available for single player (I guess you would keep the GamePad next to you or on your lap)? I know COD allows it, and I hope this game does too.

No.
Tha game is based on the gamepad various functions.

Of course the Wii U is struggling to build buzz, because the gaming media hardly ever talks about it, and when they do it's simply to tear it down and trash it.

I think that's somewhat true, but they're right about this

Also, Nintendo has done virtually nothing to market it, withholding key details until just recently. So there hasn't been anything to write about."

We're two months out from the release in the US and we still don't know how the Nintendo Network will work on the Wii U. They haven't talked at all about their accomplishment system and they still seem to be very quiet about how the Miiverse is really integrated into their games. There's a lot more that they could be doing to keep the hype train rolling.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think that's somewhat true, but they're right about this

We're two months out from the release in the US and we still don't know how the Nintendo Network will work on the Wii U. They haven't talked at all about their accomplishment system and they still seem to be very quiet about how the Miiverse is really integrated into their games. There's a lot more that they could be doing to keep the hype train rolling.

This is nothing new for Nintendo, in any case.
They decide to market the products near at launch.
They did this with all the "Iwata products", and they'll continue doing so.
I don't know if it's right or wrong, we'll see it. But honestly, I think that internet updates as E3, Direct, site announcments, magazine announcments are good enought for people like us that are interested in a product months before its release on the market, while the mass market is interest in seeing a product advertised once available in store.

Newline

As long as the WiiU is more expensive in the EU with less features than the US I won't be buying one.

Perhaps in a few years when the price significantly drops.

This is nothing new for Nintendo, in any case.
They decide to market the products near at launch.
They did this with all the "Iwata products", and they'll continue doing so.
I don't know if it's right or wrong, we'll see it. But honestly, I think that internet updates as E3, Direct, site announcments, magazine announcments are good enought for people like us that are interested in a product months before its release on the market, while the mass market is interest in seeing a product advertised once available in store.

It's just a big problem as far as the media and Nintendo goes. There's a major disconnect between them and I think that Nintendo is the biggest blame for it. They're just way too secretive and it leads to frustration from the media. The hype for the system dies down quickly because there really isn't much for the media to talk about once they report what Nintendo shows them. Why didn't they take Nintendo Land around to different sites so that they could record direct feed walkthroughs? Same goes for Mario. Instead we get short trailers and some offscreen videos that often features people that can't really play the games.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's just a big problem as far as the media and Nintendo goes. There's a major disconnect between them and I think that Nintendo is the biggest blame for it. They're just way too secretive and it leads to frustration from the media. The hype for the system dies down quickly because there really isn't much for the media to talk about once they report what Nintendo shows them. Why didn't they take Nintendo Land around to different sites so that they could record direct feed walkthroughs? Same goes for Mario. Instead we get short trailers and some offscreen videos that often features people that can't really play the games.

I understand your point.
But as I said: is this a problem in terms of sales? I don't know. There was the same problem with previous Iwata's products, and they sold a lot. So, is it right to state now that the "Wii U isn't able to create buzz"?
Imho, not now, it's too early to say that.
For us, forum-costumer, it was a pain in the ass seeing them so secretative, but recently they decided to create the N Direct that, for us gamers here on the forums, are (if interested in the products) some sort oa heaven, imho.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I don't know if this is the new general Wii U thread or not, but Namco Bandai has Updated its TGS page- Tekken Tag and Tanks! are now listed, leaving 1 title still to be announced (could be for Wii U, could be for something else).

I understand your point.
But as I said: is this a problem in terms of sales? I don't know. There was the same problem with previous Iwata's products, and they sold a lot. So, is it right to state now that the "Wii U isn't able to create buzz"?

I don't really think that it'll impact them in terms of sales. I was mainly referring to how the media covers Nintendo in general. It's tough for them to talk about Nintendo because they're nowhere near as open as Sony or MS. Both of them regularly release their own walkthroughs and do walkthroughs with major gaming sites. Those are rare for Nintendo. It some times seems like they're opening up when they give Game Informer cover stories for their games, but other times it seems like very little has changed. They were allowing people to record off screen videos at the event, so obviously releasing footage isn't an issue for them. That's why it makes less sense for them not to be doing walkthroughs of these games.

D-e-f-

Banned
As long as the WiiU is more expensive in the EU with less features than the US I won't be buying one.

Less features? The bundles are the exact same. There is only one difference: the EU basic model doesn't have the sensor bar. That's basically nothing. And it'll always be more expensive here since that's how exchange rates work.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Less features? The bundles are the exact same. There is only one difference: the EU basic model doesn't have the sensor bar. That's basically nothing. And it'll always be more expensive here since that's how exchange rates work.
I think he meant the TVii feature.

AzaK

I will still get one, but not having Nintendo TV in some form does blow. Even if they allowed us to connect to our own collection of movies for playback it'd be nice.

Hopefully they will open up their development opportunities so the Plex guys can make an app.

Will we be able to browse the Internet just on the Wii pad? Also will the Wii store channel have apps like the xbox etc? This could be big for nintendo to have these features, on this tablet Like controller.

Sorry if all of these questions have been answered before

rpmurphy

Will we be able to browse the Internet just on the Wii pad? Also will the Wii store channel have apps like the xbox etc? This could be big for nintendo to have these features, on this tablet Like controller.

Yes, the browser can be used just on the gamepad while someone else is hogging the TV. This was shown and described in the Japanese Wii U software presentation.

They mentioned that there will be apps on the eShop, but what this means is yet unknown.

AzaK

One thing they need to support is being able to play a game AND use Netflix at the same time. Currently they don't support that but I can see that being quite important.

They are selling the Wii U as a system you can play offscreen so a spouse can use the TV while you're playing. However if you get your content via Netflix, Amazon using Nintendo TViiiiiiiiiiiiiii then you're shit outta luck.

Tehalemi

One thing they need to support is being able to play a game AND use Netflix at the same time. Currently they don't support that but I can see that being quite important.

They are selling the Wii U as a system you can play offscreen so a spouse can use the TV while you're playing. However if you get your content via Netflix, Amazon using Nintendo TViiiiiiiiiiiiiiii then you're shit outta luck.

Fixed...

;p

D-e-f-

Banned
Well, we have Netflix, LoveFilm (same as Amazon video), Sky+ (same as Tivo). What else you want? ;)

All of Europe? I don't think so. Netflix only just came to the UK, LoveFilm is a terrible streaming service (had a 30 day test sub in Germany) and by far nothing like amazon video library wise, no idea what Sky+ is.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=42268300#post42268300

with pictures.

So, what dead IP's would you like to see nintendo moneyhat... err... publish?

I'd LOVE a new Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, hell give me a remake. Far too few games break away to a giant robot with its own theme song and intro..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRj7XVFd3Ic

The BEST N64 game... My opinion

I would be all over this.

The bird demo was obviously referencing a remake j/k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRJC4yoeL8g

I want a new Secret of Mana game. I'm specifically saying Secret of Mana because I want there to be three player co-op again! Could easily be one of those 2 GamePad games. Make it a top down, maybe even stylized 2D isometric view again so it's not that taxing if you have three screens running and then give us another sweet world-spanning action RPG with co-op (incl. online)! If you play online, put in Miiverse functionality which creates a persistent save state that lets part of your team play alone sometimes and farm items or do a sidequest and leave notes on the map for you to check out.

And I want a Dungeon Keeper 3. You can build your dungeon on the screen and that would be totally sweet! C'mon EA!

What's going on with Mighty Switch Force HD? I remember them saying that they were targeting launch, but there was no mention of it at the conference.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't really think that it'll impact them in terms of sales. I was mainly referring to how the media covers Nintendo in general. It's tough for them to talk about Nintendo because they're nowhere near as open as Sony or MS. Both of them regularly release their own walkthroughs and do walkthroughs with major gaming sites. Those are rare for Nintendo. It some times seems like they're opening up when they give Game Informer cover stories for their games, but other times it seems like very little has changed. They were allowing people to record off screen videos at the event, so obviously releasing footage isn't an issue for them. That's why it makes less sense for them not to be doing walkthroughs of these games.

I understand. But we started from an article that was blaming Nintendo because of the Wii U low level of buzz created up to now, indicating this as a problem in terms of sales: "You know? Wii U buzz is low, Nintendo isn't able to market its product, it will fail heavily"
And my comment is: I don't know if Wii U will be successfull, but usually not having a mass media coverage for Nintendo products before their release is not strange neither problematic.
It could be a flop, but not for this reason.

Just that! :)

New Goemon by Good-Feel, and a new Mana by Grezzo and Brownie Brown (yeah Heroes of Mana was that, but I want it to be a 100% 2D game on the 3DS, it's what Brownie Brown was famous for at SE).

Thoese would be great choices.

Oh, and Sonic Adventure 3 on Wii U, nuff said.

A new IP? What better than:

A new mascot platformer created by Yasuhara (NST), Ohshima (Arzest), and Naka (Prope) on Wii U? Yasuhara is at NST so it's guaranteed Nintendo owned.

D-e-f-

Banned
http://www.go nintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=185976

fluid-based physics platformer Puddle (XBLA, PSN) coming to Wii U eShop!

http://www.go nintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=185999

DQ X Wii U footage looks pretty sweet. the music is now stuck in my head.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Just read this horrible article (as per usual) from Kotaku about the Wii U Pro controller. I don't really care that much about the article, but one thing that's been bugging me forever is whether or not the Wii U Pro controller has rumble.

I've heard multiple times from different gaming sites that yes, it has rumble and that no, it doesn't.

So, how many game journalists does it take to figure out the answer? =/.

Daft_Cat

Just read this horrible article (as per usual) from Kotaku about the Wii U Pro controller. I don't really care that much about the article, but one thing that's been bugging me forever is whether or not the Wii U Pro controller has rumble.

I've heard multiple times from different gaming sites that yes, it has rumble and that no, it doesn't.

It probably does, but some early press demos probably don't utilize it. I would imagine that's the reason if there are reports that it's absent.

Hoodbury

Gamestop, Best Buy, and Walmart all have quite a few big third party games with a release date of 11/13/2012. Do you think those are still placeholders that were used before the official launch date was confirmed? Or is it possible this will be similar to the Vita's release where some games will actually be for sale before the system?

Gamestop, Best Buy, and Walmart all have quite a few big third party games with a release date of 11/13/2012. Do you think those are still placeholders that were used before the official launch date was confirmed? Or is it possible this will be similar to the Vita's release where some games will actually be for sale before the system?

I don't recall ever seeing a console launch when their weren't games on the shelf prior to launch. Publishers want their games to bee seen first, before the rest of them show up. It increases mind-share.

Edit: Major console launches other than Saturn

Are we expecting more games announced at TGS? I was really expecting more from Japanese publishers. Bayonetta was a big surprise but that's Nintendo published now.

Earendil

I will still get one, but not having Nintendo TV in some form does blow. Even if they allowed us to connect to our own collection of movies for playback it'd be nice.

Hopefully they will open up their development opportunities so the Plex guys can make an app.

That would blow my mind. I really want to be able to play the DVDs I have ripped to my external hard drive. I already have an HTPC, but the kids use the Wii for Netflix most of the time because they like the UI better. If the Wii U had a media library, I'd be pleased as punch.

D-e-f-

Banned

It probably does, but some early press demos probably don't utilize it. I would imagine that's the reason if there are reports that it's absent.

For instance, I don't recall the Gamepad having rumble in the demoes I played.

Rumble was confirmed by a GAF user (yes, specifically in the Pro controller!). The presence of rumble in one instance should be valued higher than the absence of rumble in others since that probably just means they were old dev controllers and the rumble one was a newer model. The other way around just wouldn't make sense. Also some Pro controller seem to be wired while others aren't maybe that's the difference. (Final units are wireless)

Hoodbury

I don't recall ever seeing a console launch when their weren't games on the shelf prior to launch. Publishers want their games to bee seen first, before the rest of them show up. It increases mind-share.

Edit: Major console launches other than Saturn

Good to know, thanks. The two games I'm getting I have preordered from Newegg and I wouldn't want to have to wait the 3-5 days for shipping to play them. So hopefully if they can ship the games on the 13th before the console is released, I'll have them ready to go by the 18th.

Top Bottom