• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HUGE 1000+ lb. alligator caught in Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cragvis

tumblr_inline_mka7jbgMTW1qz4rgp.gif

They DO move in herds...

VASPER

Banned
Fuck these people, lets catch a legendary alligator and then just get it skinned. Man skin these people, Fuck the human density.

NastyBook

Humans get so brave around animals that are bound up and defenseless, it's cute.
Whenever I used to go to the Rattlesnake Roundup (Southwest Georgia), I could never get too close to the big ass padlocked case full of rattlesnakes without getting freaked the fuck out.

#notallhumans

EDIT:

I fucks with that sauce in that picture, though. Too bad it's probably got milk in it...

WarMacheen

"We give all the glory to God. Ten men couldn't have done what we did," he said.
Mandy Stokes added, "If it wasn't for the grace of God, we never could have done it. At one time during this whole thing, I honestly thought, you know what; we didn't sign up for that."

colinfarrell3p6ca.gif

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I agree. Fucking assholes

Eh, these people didn't poach it. They'd be jailed right now if they did.

You are aware that "gator hunting" is heavily licensed and watched over by the respective state's DNR correct?

These people simply didn't go out and shoot this thing for the hell of it. Gator hunting is legal certain months of the year in states where they try to keep the population in check. Most families that hunt gators during these times make all of their money for the year to live on.

I'd sure as hell NOT WANT that thing anywhere near my house/river area as it would surely eat your dogs, cats, children/people as those kinds of thing gets documented all the time.

If It was poached, I'd be upset. This wasn't and I'm fine with it.

People suck. Should have been released or brought to a zoo. Nah...lets shoot it with a shotgun and mount it!!! Yeehaw.

The methods by which you begin the process of catching a gator are going to be fatal to the animal in the long run in most cases. Gators nearly this size aren't really that rare (local guy claims to have caught six 13' gators in 5 years) so the damage is likely already going to have been done to the animal before you're sure whether it's just a regular big gator versus a record-sized one.

dan2026

"We give all the glory to God. Ten men couldn't have done what we did," he said.
Mandy Stokes added, "If it wasn't for the grace of God, we never could have done it. At one time during this whole thing, I honestly thought, you know what; we didn't sign up for that."

And now this just got really freaking creepy.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
There's a tv show about killing alligators. They have to keep the population under control apparently.

Sucks they killed this one, but its not like there weren't bigger ones

This is how at least one Sci-Fi movie started. A recessed gene of a dinosaur mega-alligator reemerges and a monster alligator devours a whole city because that's what dinos do - fuck shit up.

Trike

You guys know that you it is legal to hunt alligators, right? So people calling for crazy shit like skinning the family fall into the "insane asshole" category. These are not rare creatures, nor was theirs a world record. Even if it was they don't really have any duty to preserve it for being the biggest. People do this with fish and deer all the time. I am not a hunter, I have not even fired a gun before, but a lot of people are freaking out like it's the first animal ever killed. I wonder how many of them are vegan, or if cows and chickens are the ones that are okay to kill.

Soodanim

You guys know that you it is legal to hunt alligators, right? So people calling for crazy shit like skinning the family fall into the "insane asshole" category. These are not rare creatures, nor was theirs a world record. Even if it was they don't really have any duty to preserve it for being the biggest. People do this with fish and deer all the time. I am not a hunter, I have not even fired a gun before, but a lot of people are freaking out like it's the first animal ever killed. I wonder how many of them are vegan, or if cows and chickens are the ones that are okay to kill.
"It's legal is a common phrase in this thread, but that's not a why. That's just a statement. Feel free to educate me GAF, but I don't see how going out and hunting these animals achieves anything. If you want to protect your land, put up a fence. Don't kill the animals for living in their homes.

You can be against killing animals for no reason and still be a meat eater. There's a difference between killing to eat and killing because it's legal.

Mudcrab

But what I am I supposed to do with my knee-jerk emotional reaction?

It doesn't matter whether it's legal, some people want others to be executed because they have different opinions.

Monocle

"What a majestic creature. Annie-Sue, Jim-Bob, Jebedeus-Micah: gitcher guns. It's time glorify God the American way."

Pickman

"It's legal is a common phrase in this thread, but that's not a why. That's just a statement. Feel free to educate me GAF, but I don't see how going out and hunting these animals achieves anything. If you want to protect your land, put up a fence. Don't kill the animals for living in their homes.

Thing is, gators don't tend to be terribly shy of people, regardless if they've been fed or not. We had a 7 footer who was snacking on turtles in my apartment complex's runoff lake. The place they hauled him up out of the water was about 10 feet from the sidewalk where I walk my dog nightly.

Gators go where the food is, so this 15 footer would have just as happily made his way through waterways and runoff ditches to a suburban development and set up shop. Here in Florida it's even common to find them in abandoned homes, hanging out in the swimming pools full of standing water and snacking on frogs.

I don't think it's cool to kill an animal unless you plan to actually eat it. Skinning this monster and just letting his meat go to waste is foolish. However, gators aren't remotely endangered, and they do pose a threat to people (marginally) and their pets.

Trike

You can be against killing animals for no reason and still be a meat eater. There's a difference between killing to eat and killing because it's legal.

It's not like they are going out and killing dozens of alligators. The process is highly regulated, and in addition to requiring a hunting license they also require a tag for the animal. Those are also limited and drawn by lottery. It's one tag per animal.

As to why people hunt, a lot do it for sport. Others do it for food, but there is also cross section of both. I believe that is where this family falls into. As stated in a separate article, they are going to keep the meat from the animal and donate some of it to a local church.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
This makes me sad :( I recently got a picture with a "baby" alligator from a reptile reserve. It was only about 2 feet long, but took 2 years just to get to that size, yet was still considered a baby. The fact that this one kept growing... I wonder how old it is. It's like going out and cutting down the biggest tree "cause it was the biggest!!" I just hate the "let's kill that big animal!" mentality. The fact that it's going to be skinned for aesthetics rather than eaten as food bothers me too.

I feel like guns barely make a hunt either, personally. I'd rather catch small animals with my bare hands (and then release them). That act of catching like that feels much more satisfying, and knowing that you will put it back later on (or well, keep it as a pet!)

Soodanim

Thing is, gators don't tend to be terribly shy of people, regardless if they've been fed or not. We had a 7 footer who was snacking on turtles in my apartment complex's runoff lake. The place they hauled him up out of the water was about 10 feet from the sidewalk where I walk my dog nightly.

Gators go where the food is, so this 15 footer would have just as happily made his way through waterways and runoff ditches to a suburban development and set up shop. Here in Florida it's even common to find them in abandoned homes, hanging out in the swimming pools full of standing water and snacking on frogs.

I don't think it's cool to kill an animal unless you plan to actually eat it. Skinning this monster and just letting his meat go to waste is foolish. However, gators aren't remotely endangered, and they do pose a threat to people (marginally) and their pets.
It's not like they are going out and killing dozens of alligators. The process is highly regulated, and in addition to requiring a hunting license they also require a tag for the animal. Those are also limited and drawn by lottery. It's one tag per animal.

As to why people hunt, a lot do it for sport. Others do it for food, but there is also cross section of both. I believe that is where this family falls into. As stated in a separate article, they are going to keep the meat from the animal and donate some of it to a local church.
Thanks, that helps my understanding a lot. As a Englishman who's never been to America, it's hard to fully appreciate living close to alligators.

It's good to know the family are doing something nice with the meat.

Eh, these people didn't poach it. They'd be jailed right now if they did.

You are aware that "gator hunting" is heavily licensed and watched over by the respective state's DNR correct?

These people simply didn't go out and shoot this thing for the hell of it. Gator hunting is legal certain months of the year in states where they try to keep the population in check. Most families that hunt gators during these times make all of their money for the year to live on.

I'd sure as hell NOT WANT that thing anywhere near my house/river area as it would surely eat your dogs, cats, children/people as those kinds of thing gets documented all the time.

If It was poached, I'd be upset. This wasn't and I'm fine with it.

Well worth quoting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom