• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HUGE 1000+ lb. alligator caught in Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh... I get that it is obviously a massive threat to everyone in that area but shouldn't it have been captured for study or something? It seems like such a waste of a clear anomaly.

MikeDown

Banned
They could have left this magnificent beast alone, for others to enjoy and look at but no they had to fucking murder it, savages. Makes good food though...

JdFoX187

Banned
xDLelnl.jpg

Sketchbag

Banned
Humans get so brave around animals that are bound up and defenseless, it's cute.

Well, you can't reason with it. The only way to look and study this thing is to tie it up. It don't care about laws. It's not going to care if you're brave or not, it will eat you.

Pickman

That is a LOT of gator meat. Yum.

Yeah, it's dead and it was killed by man and not from natural causes. But the ecosystem will adjust to his removal, and it's a far cry from an endangered species, so I think everything will be okay, guys.

cajunator

Banned
reminds me of big Al which has been displayed in Prejeans restaurant for years.
Some huge alligators down here.
A few of my coworkers get tags and hunt them sometimes.

Pickman

Sounds like the meat's going to waste. Pity, gator's good eating.

That will be pretty shitty if they take it just for the skin. Mind you, that's a couch, a love chair, and a full 12 piece luggace set with enough left over for some wingtips, but still. If you're going to hunt, at least take sustinance from the kill.

And yeah, well prepared gator is amazing. :O~

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
On one hand it is kinda sad something so majestic was just killed on the spot, on the other all these posts about eating the poor guy make me want to try gator.

You guys better edit your posts before feathers-GAF jumps your shit.

I'm watching you throwing shade at science-GAF. But alligators look like mosasaurs so they don't need feathers. Raptors and t-rexes do because otherwise they look like tadpoles.

I'm sad they killed it.

MechDX

It is really no different than deer hunting except that this prey could bite your head off. Or even hunting for population control like wolves.

Yup, there are bunch down around there.

Though rarely you will hear a fake story about one being around thats just to scare people.

I used to go to a local spring and about once a week we had to get out of the water because of gator sightings. It was always fun to see them and when you were tubing down. They really don't care that much about humans. They're really passive till YOU threaten THEM

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
When you say "caught," you mean, killed.

Philia

HUGE crocs are common, what's not common is that it got caught by humans. I hope it fed a lot of people because that's a good thing.

Any animal that got caught, killed and then turned into meat is still leagues better than atrocious trophy hunting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
In fairness, I think you kind of have to cull Alligators because they're apex predators that don't really care about moving into human habitated zones.

Mlatador

Banned
What are they gonna do with him?

He must have had an amazing life so far, because he looks amazingly healthy. He's grown to this size and doen't even have scars. Such a pretty alligator.

EDIT: What? They killed him? :(

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'd imagine they're all down around mobile? I'm from Florida and they are everwhere. I used to count them when we took road trips.
But specimens like this? It's tragic to see such a magnificent beast killed primarily as a trophy kill.

MechDX

In fairness, I think you kind of have to cull Alligators because they're apex predators that don't really care about moving into human habitated zones.

Correct! Just like the cities in the west having issues with wolves and coyotes moving into neighborhoods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom