• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft not doing a keynote at TGS this year

Hmm I wonder if that's because the XB1 is launching Sept. 4th and they plan on doing something for that? Probably not though

Was this rumor discussed before?

"Capcom announcement at tgs will blow the lid off for xbox. I think Japan tgs is going to be fun. @aarongreenberg are you live streaming?"

Amir0x

Banned
well that's smart in one sense, japan doesn't even care about PS4, let alone XBO.

that said, probably not a good idea to let Sony get free publicity when they'll be announcing more new shit.

oti

Banned
That doesn't mean they can't announce Lost Odyssey 2 during TGS, right? Right guys right?

(I really want Lost Odyssey 2.)

Faustek

well that's smart in one sense, japan doesn't even care about PS4, let alone XBO.

that said, probably not a good idea to let Sony get free publicity when they'll be announcing more new shit.

Welcome back Ami, hope your better.

OnTopic:

Yepp, MS just bowing out. I'm not sure they actually have that elusive Japanese support ready. I honestly don't see Sony having it either.

DJIzana

Ouch. Does Nintendo do keynotes? If not do we only have Sony and dev keynotes?

Nintendo never really cared about TGS in the past so... no. If we're lucky though, we should be due for a Nintendo Direct by then (we're actually overdue for one if we go by their past schedule).

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
This launch is pretty pathetic. Less than 2 weeks away and there has not been a single advertisement anywhere. Might as well not be coming out here.

rrc1594

Tim Dogg pls? Also what could Capcom blow the lid off of they can barely release the 15th iteration of SF4 without issues.

Damn!

WbBNKbH.gif

Daviii

I find more surprising they're actually launching the console in Japan.

Not being ignored in TGS sounds like a good decision.

Amir0x

Banned
For tons of years, only Sony produced TGS keynotes. Nintendo does its own stuff if they wish, MS tried few times but with very little effect.

I will say this, Microsoft's attempts at garnering Japanese games for 360 was part of the appeal of the system for me. They got a bunch of nice games out of it.

At least we're getting Scalebound.

Or they saw the sales of the PS4 and WiiU and realised there was no point?

PS4 has sold 665k in 5 months
WiiU has sold 1.89 million in 17 months

Those 665k sales around 13% of XB1's total sales. Lets not kid ourselves. MS would love the XB1 to sell as well as those console in JP even if those consoles aren;t selling well at all.

madmackem

Or they saw the sales of the PS4 and WiiU and realised there was no point?

While tgs is a Japanese show it's still a massive games show that news from will be all over the place, I expected ms to show up and continue showing and announcing new stuff for xbox.

Just noticed this:

Tokyo Game Show keynote speakers
2003: Nintendo
2004: Sony
2005: Nintendo
2006: Sony
2007: Sony
2008: Microsoft
2009: Sony
2010: Microsoft
2011: Square-Enix
2012: Sony