• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft not doing a keynote at TGS this year

For what it's worth: Electronic Arts, Square-Enix, Sony Computer Entertainment, Google Japan, Samsung Japan, KONAMI, Capcom, Microsoft Japan will all have booths at the TGS this year. Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, Take-Two Interactive and Nintendo will not.

iamnosuperman

Neo Member
Hmm I wonder if that's because the XB1 is launching Sept. 4th and they plan on doing something for that? Probably not though
That is in like what a week and a bit. We would know by now (also announcing games at launch is a little antiproductive. It should be done before

For what it's worth: Electronic Arts, Square-Enix, Sony Computer Entertainment, Google Japan, Samsung Japan, KONAMI, Capcom, Microsoft Japan will all have booths at the TGS this year. Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, Take-Two Interactive and Nintendo will not.

But let's be honest here, the "big" announcements at TGS will be mobile games. Maybe Sony has 2-3 games but yeah TGS is hardly exciting these days.

Probably have nothing to show.

D4 is MIA, Scalebound is still a good 1.5 years away and probably isn't in a demo state and I doubt there's any other Japanese titles in development of note.

I'm hoping that means that Microsoft haven't moneyhatted a load of games that will eventually sell poorly because they are on the least sense making platform.

It doesn't make sense for anyone.

Harms the IPs or at very least that game in the series.
Microsoft has to spend a lot of money for little return.
Fan's are left angry.

sörine

Banned
Not really because unlike last time they had a bunch of exclusive games and moneyhats, this time they don't.
They're launching Xbox One with 31 games (6 exclusive) while Xbox 360 launched with 6 games (4 exclusive).

For comparison Wii U launched with 12 games (4 exclusive) and PS4 with 27 games (6 exclusive).

sörine;126807527 said:
They're launching Xbox One with 31 games (6 exclusive) while Xbox 360 launched with 6 games (4 exclusive).

For comparison Wii U launched with 12 games (4 exclusive) and PS4 with 27 games (6 exclusive).

I was talking about their last conference in 2007.

shink

Just noticed this:

Tokyo Game Show keynote speakers
2003: Nintendo
2004: Sony
2005: Nintendo
2006: Sony
2007: Sony
2008: Microsoft
2009: Sony
2010: Microsoft
2011: Square-Enix
2012: Sony
2013: Sony
2014: Google

One is not like the others.
I'm looking forward to AAAA mobile games.

T.O.P

Banned
Swery there, would think d4 there too
GKbGQYi.png

I need a release date for D4

BADLY

Or they saw the sales of the PS4 and WiiU and realised there was no point?

I'm sure there's many countries that the XB1 will sell worse than that product actually does in Japan... ( countries like India has lifetime sales of PS2 topping slightly over 1 million, and that was the most successful console by far )

There's no loss in shipping units into countries that will sell low volumes. The unique thing about Japan is that it still has pedigree as a distinct gaming market of its own caliber, and that to succeed in Japan, you have to invest specifically for Japan, which is a risky proposition in this day and age.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Just noticed this:

Tokyo Game Show keynote speakers
2003: Nintendo
2004: Sony
2005: Nintendo
2006: Sony
2007: Sony
2008: Microsoft
2009: Sony
2010: Microsoft
2011: Square-Enix
2012: Sony
2013: Sony
2014: Google

One is not like the others.

Must be SE you're referring to, because the others generally manage to deliver their products on time.

synce

If they have nothing to show to the Japanese they have nothing to show to me. I'm kind of happy they're focusing so much on the west because it's one less console I have to worry about buying

Radec

Good.

I think they shouldn't shell put much $$$ on japan and just focus on US and EU. And of course games.

The system is launching in few weeks. What are they doing?

Considering that any amount of money they invest into Japan for marketing will unquestionably have negative returns, why even bother?

Just launch it there with as low an ASP as possible is probably smartest thing to do for Xbox.

Top Bottom