• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you actually care what race/sex a main character is?

I don't think I actually care, I usually look at the game mechanics first and see if the story interests me. I've played as other races and as a woman hell I've played as other species and as things that don't even exist. In fact given the choice I mostly choose non-human character's.

How about everyone else?

L~A

Not really, though I find myself picking up a female playable character when available.

But honestly, I don't give a flipping heck, as long as the character is great.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I can't think of I time where I haven't played or enjoyed a game just because of the protagonist, so no.

maxcriden

OP, are you a white male? I am a white male, but my sincere understanding is that we don't care about this as much because we don't have to. There's no under-representation to be inherently bothered by.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
No. Just that the character is well modeled/animated/drawn.

If things look awkward during gameplay it does bother me.

Squire

Banned
This thread would be so much more interesting if you could see the race/gender of the person replying under their name.

Silky

Banned
These one word replies lol.

I don't. I can relate to anyone. But when you have a generation of the same damn people in the same damn template in the same damn game, your eyes start to open in how homogenized shit can be.

So yeah I'd like more variety.

This thread would be so much more interesting if you could see the race/gender of the person replying under their name.

Hmm.

oti

Banned
Nope.
I actually got banned once for stating this in a thread about Clementine's race.
I know right?

PaRappa

Yes if it has any bearing on the narrative. That's why I think Lara suits Tomb Raider and Nathan suits Uncharted. If you switched those characters I don't think the games would work as well.

Sgblues

Never has, never will but what does bug me is if a character is one thing but gets changed to another for regional differences.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
if I have a choice I play as a boy because I am a boy

but if I don't have a choice I really don't give a shit either way

I don't "care" in the sense that the race/gender/sexual orientation would ever keep me from playing a game.

However, if a game does feature a point-of-view that's not often expressds in games, that can make me interested in something! It's a big part of what attracted me to Gone Home.

Ultimadrago

No.

If given a choice, I usually play male. I only play female on occasion to have something "different."

As for pre-established characters. I like well-written and/or entertaining characters. Period.

I mean if I'm given the option to choose sex I'll choose male.

But whether I care in general depends if it's a good/fun game. If it's a hispanic person or a female I'm not going to go out of my way to play the game because there aren't many leads that aren't white males (at least from the top of my head), if it's a shitty game.

OP, are you a white male? I am a white male, but my sincere understanding is that we don't care about this as much because we don't have to. There's no under-representation to be inherently bothered by.
I'm not white, don't care what race or sex the main character is. I don't look for 'representation' in games, they're simply forms of entertainment and nothing more for me.

No, but I like it when the PC is a minority and not just Nathan Drake voice/clothes/body swapped. It makes me happy to see minorities represented well, seeing as there are so many white male protags and that is probably a large reason why the video game audience consists of so many white males.

The lack of female and other minority developers is an issue that will only change when the games being made appeal to them in the same way that a white male protag appeals to a white male.

Grakl

Definitely. The looks of the main character really influences whether I want to play as him/her or not.

Vice

Yes, I am much more likely to try a new game out if I can play as a black male, or female. It is enjoyable to play as someone who me and people I am related to.

Heyt

Banned
If the game lets me pick different characters I like them being viaried in all kinds of ways possible.

If we're talking about singleplayer games I could not care less. I like it a lot when I can make the character be however I want.

I can find character or costume design extremely offputting specially if there is no way I can change it, though.

Top Bottom