• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #151 - "Inversion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M

Nick N
Theme - Inversion

Word Limit: 2,000

Submission Deadline: Friday, September 5th, by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, September 6th, and goes until Monday, September 8th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Grace Periods: Each of the above deadlines will be followed by a 6-hour grace period. Submissions made after the end of the grace period will be ineligible, and votes cast after the end of the grace period will not be counted. Remember that these are grace periods, not extensions of the deadline--you should still submit your work or cast your vote by the deadline set above.

Optional Secondary Objective: One and done.

First draft is the last draft! For some, this will just be business as usual, for others it will be like driving a monster truck around an arena full of puppies.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the theme as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

It's like this secondary objective was made for me.

Someone kick my ass if I forget the deadline and miss this contest like I usually do.

sqwarlock

Optional Secondary Objective: One and done.

First draft is the last draft! For some, this will just be business as usual, for others it will be like driving a monster truck around an arena full of puppies.

I'm ok with this.

ZeroRay

Hard mode: Stream of consciousness writing, no going back to correct spelling/grammer. Have to submit after reaching word limit.

Of course, I may have missed something, and the hard mode is in fact the actual secondary. :p

Sober

Hard mode: Stream of consciousness writing, no going back to correct spelling/grammer. Have to submit after reaching word limit.

Of course, I may have missed something, and the hard mode is in fact the actual secondary. :p
Sounds like if every year when NaNo happened and people promised to post their excerpts except we never do. :)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Title: Relish
Word Count: 1,111

“Welp, looks like I just won the lottery, I guess.” Carl breathed while sweatily clutching a crumpled lotto ticket now worth 238 million dollars.

He finished a soggy McMuffin-like thing that he bought for $4.99(plus 44 cents tax, bringing the total to $5.43 and 7 dollars even after tip), and exited the diner. The weekly lottery broadcast nulled out of existence as the door slowly shut behind him, none of the other occupants any wiser to Carl’s bounty. Or his own perceived sexual prowess--none of them knew about that either, except for Ed and Jane, whom both had their suspicions, I think?

Carl pumped his hips forward with every step, flexing his buttocks and giving it a go with an almost imperceptible thrust. Bang! Bang! Bang! I’m gonna fuck this entire world. I’m gonna fuck this whole thing, motherfucker.

Wait a second, then all of a sudden a cat cross Carl’s path as he was walking towards his car, reminding him of his bounty. I wonder what you taste like, little cat. I’m gonna fly to some foreign country that serves fried cat and I’m gonna eat you for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I’d pay 938 dollars roundtrip for the fuckin’ chance, cat. Carl pulled out a bag of treats from his inner jacket that he kept on him for whenever he had to negotiate with a cat or squirrel. The cat ate readily. “Get the fuck out of here!” he muttered after patting kitty gently on the head. That’s the third time I seen you around here, ain't you got a fuckin’ home cat?

Before heading home he drove to the corner store to pick up some smokes, maybe. Mitchell worked there, but owned the place too. Mitchell wasn't like these other assholes, Mitchell was a boss motherfucker. Cool as ice when the opportunity arose for a little action, probably. “These motherfuckers, I tell ya’ Mitch”.

“Yeah, I know. Don’t make ‘em like they used to. ” Mitchell shot back through a chilly glare.

“You and me, Mitch. Chevrolets. Classics.” Carl yelled from across the room as he made his way around. The walk through the store was always made. The Round was a tradition. “I see Mentos went up 9 cents, Mitch. Whaddaya think you’ll make off that increase, Mitch? 4 dollars a month profit?” No response.

“Nice place you got here, Mitch. Now gimme my smokes. The cheapies.” Mitchell obliged, quickly, with a seemingly conscious effort towards conservation of movement. Mitchell looked at the 5 dollar bill, and then his eyes moved towards Carl’s smug face. “How long are you gonna hold me to that bet, Carl?” Mitchell muttered.

“A-ha! Caught me again Mitch.” Carl said, remembering his lotto win once again, “Yeah I’m gonna take this Heath bar too. By the way,” Carl stated, pulling a hidden candy bar from the inside pocket of his Members Only, “How much do you think I’ve underpaid ya’ in these 8 years, Mitch? I was thinkin’ about that the other day, must be a lot by now.”

“I dunno, Carl. Maybe, a grand. Probably a grand.” Mitchell answered. You’re off by $238.34, Mitch.

“Well, haha, I feel kinda bad, Mitch. I feel like I should start payin’. Maybe even pay you back that grand, huh, pal? Hell, I’ll do you one better than that, Mitch. I’ll give you a grand times a grand for suffering that bet all these years. But uhh…can I start payin’ next week.”

“Of course, Carl. Next week. If you need the week after that we could do that. Or maybe 3 weeks, that will work too.” Mitch said while rolling his eyes in a predictable, practiced pattern.

“Million dollars, next week, Mitch.” Carl ended. That Mitch, always so understanding.

A draft and the sound of the bell hanging from Carl’s shop door followed Mitch as he started towards his car. Then, like, fucking out of nowhere this sick looking homeless guy rolls out from underneath a bus to confront Carl.

Carl: “The fuck did you come from fucker?”

Sick Looking Homeless Guy: “I came from under this bus where you just saw me come at you from motherfucker! Can I get some change, bitch?”

Carl: “You want some change, you fuck! Fucker I’ll give you a whole heaping helping of change, if you know what I mean.”

SLHG: “I do know! I know exactly what you mean! I want me a piece of that pie, bitch!”

At this point both parties were inches from each other’s faces, screaming and spitting. Their mouths gnashed at air—intake and expulsion—the fast and the furious.

Carl: “This is what I mean, asswipe!”

Carl dashed coins across the earth but was still at the ready. Both men were primed up. SLHG quickly glanced down.

SLHG: “I don’t want no 44 cents, bitch. I want that real money! Give me that real money, bitch!”

Carl: “Oh I got plenty more where that came from. You want 50 large? 50 LARGE, douchebag?”

SLHG: “Bitch, you know I ain’t about those sheckles!”

Carl: “I’m out of here, you stupid, stupid asshole. What I’m gonna do is I’m gonna hand over 500 thousand dollars to you next fucking week. In this parking lot. 7 days.”

SLHG: “And bitch, what I’M about to do, is take your half mil, use 10 dollars of that shit to buy me a motherfuckin’ knife, and I’mma cut all that motherfuckin’ money up. I told you. I Don’t. Need. Them. Sheckles…Bitch.”

Carl: “You’re gonna cut up that cash, fucker?”

SLHG: “I’mma cut that cash, bitch.”

8 days later minus 44 minutes, Carl walked out of Mitch’s store, sans a 5 dollar bill. The Homeless Guy again appeared, this time from around a corner, looking mean as all fucking hell.

Carl: “I really wasn’t expecting yet another meeting. I see you’re still carrying my briefcase. How’s it feel to be a half-millionaire, fucker?”

HG: “Half-millionaire, motherfucker? I don’t half anything!”

The man opened the briefcase. $499,990 remained. Each bill was cut perfectly in half. Perfectly. Carl rifled through each bundle and couldn't find a single flaw in any cut. The money was unusable. 51% of the bill must remain in order to use it. The sublime thought of cuts this exact, this beautiful, caused Carl to fall to his knees, his eyes nearly rolling back, weeping with euphoria. Finally, it felt as if the pavement had absorbed the blood from his head. Fully spent, Carl trained his eyes on the Homeless Guy.

Carl: “Who...who…are you?”

HG: “Just one of us.”

Carl: “You’re just a stranger under the bus…”

HG: “Trying to make his way home.”

Mike M

Nick N
Write about fucking lasers!

I approve.

dino-riders.jpg

Mike M

Nick N
On an unrelated note, why the fuck has Dino Riders not gotten a revival like practically every franchise of note from the 80's?

It kills me to see these Fisher-Price Imaginext figures so clearly paying homage to the line with no proper reboot. I still have a few of the dino's that my daughter plays with sometimes, they were the best dinosaur toys around even without the guns and shit.

Nezumi

I used to have the T-rex. It was my favorite toy for quite a time. I still remember my father cursing and swearing on Christmas Eve when he struggled to attach all the little plastic pieces of the armor only so I could take them off the next day because I rather just played with the dinosaur.
When I decided to throw it away after over a decade of heavy use (it hadn't been able to walk in a while and the tip of its tail had broken off) my father showed it to a neighbor and it ended up as a garden ornament in his front yard until someone stole it.

Cyan

Banned
I had the brontosaurus (diplodocus, maybe?) and some of the small dinos. Never did get that t-rex, dang it!

Harness the power.

Mike M

Nick N
Man, the biggest one I had was the triceratops and a bunch of the little ones.

The ankylosaurus I had sucked. Just had a big crossbow on its back and almost zero articulation. Came with an ant monster guy , which was a change up from the cobras and hammerhead shark guys.

That toyline was really out there.

So if I go back and change stuff before I finish, that's still in keeping with the secondary objective, right?

Right?

WHY DID I DO THIS?

Just posting here to remind myself of this idea I have for this:

Hollow people exist in an alternative world, they live their lives just as we do together with regular people, but there is a widespread taboo on contact between a person and their (hollow) doppleganger (the hollow ganger and try to stuff the flesh of the non-hollow person inside of their hollow bodies.) Something something, there is an internet sub culture of trying to find your dopple ganger, teenagers being dumb and all, and one particular hollow teen (protagonist) agrees to meeting a non-hollow doppleganger (because teens are dumb or something.)

Murder, shlock, I dunno.

But I also kinda want to write about a group of giant spiders (or other monstrous high-fantasy beings typically portrayed as mindless evil) being brutally slaughtered by a "hero" human, the spiders coming up with a plan to stop the human and protect their hive, and one spider being lauded a hero for saving his people.

Cyan

Banned
So if I go back and change stuff before I finish, that's still in keeping with the secondary objective, right?

Right?

WHY DID I DO THIS?

lololol

I feel like that would still be in the spirit of things, but it's your secondary, you tell us! :p

Charade

dino-riders.jpg

Whaaa? They had toys like this?! Another reason I wish I was born in the 80s...

Right?

WHY DID I DO THIS?

Monster truckin' around an arena full of puppies!

But I was actually wondering... my normal writing process is very slow, one sentence at a time sorta thing. Kinda like what Nezumi said she does in the last thread. Sooo, that's still fine, right?

Sober

So we doing another hangout this Sunday or is FIRST DRAFT DROP DA BOMB secondary too much pressure for everyone?

Cyan

Banned
So we doing another hangout this Sunday or is FIRST DRAFT DROP DA BOMB secondary too much pressure for everyone?

Kind of. :/ I've been using the hangout as a good way to start banging out a shitty first draft, but that won't really work this time around. I could work on an outline I suppose.

I'd definitely like to make the hangout a regular thing. So yeah, what the hell, let's go ahead and do it.

Cyan

Banned
Cool, I'm going to say 2-4 Pacific tomorrow unless there are objections. We can be more thorough with planning next time.

Also, this time I'm timing the breaks as well. :p

Sober

For those of you who are curious about my entry, quote this post. Otherwise if you don't want to be spoiled, hold off and wait until I submit my entry.

That is all.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Cool, I'm going to say 2-4 Pacific tomorrow unless there are objections. We can be more thorough with planning next time.

Also, this time I'm timing the breaks as well. :p

What's the usual format for these? I won't be able to show tomorrow since I am meeting up with friends tomorrow, but I'm still curious how these go?

Mike M

Nick N
What's the usual format for these? I won't be able to show tomorrow since I am meeting up with friends tomorrow, but I'm still curious how these go?

We shoot the shit for a few minutes, take 30 minutes to play Zelda do some writing, then take another break to discuss things and repeat until we've filled 2 hours.

I'll try and make it tomorrow, not sure if I will be able to. Kinda burned through my "me time" quotient today.

Ourobolus

Banned
I'll do the hangout, but I have no ideas for this one yet.
Never mind, I guess the wife would prefer us to not stay in the house all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom