• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

bad rumour killed, New 3DS is region locked.

funkypie

Banned
can't wait for their console business to go kaput and they are forced to release software on other consoles like sega did.

Mononoke

Banned
I'll never understand the reasoning behind this.

The vocal minority is now upset by this news.

Even if you don't care about region locking, why would you be against having more options? Against others having more options? What a weird thing to say.

Khaz

Can someone remind me what the defense of region locking is? Honest question.

It allows them to give localised content and exclusive content tailored for specific regions.

I know, they can do that with a region free console but that's the answer they give when being asked.

The real answer is to give more power to the local offices and to prevent japanese and european gamers to get the cheaper american cartridge.

TI82

Banned

"ratings and taxes and blah blah give us more money for more systems so you can play games that will never be released in your country peasant"

Would Gamespot had asked were it not the for the rumor egotistic tweets?

Before last E3 IGN happened to interview Iwata and had asked him that. All I remember is something about respecting cultures and parental controls.

Parental controls is a bad joke. If you try to use a game with no ACB rating on the Australian 3DS (EU one set country to Australia too) with parental controls on I think it counts as an 18+ game. Presumably a game only with CERO or ESRB would behave the same.

Maybe they should charge users $0.30 each time like the New 3DS Internet filter...

Effect

I always figured the reason had to do with possible ratings of games in various countries and the price of said games. Not wanting buyers to import cheaper versions of games into Japan. The later I would think is the main reason. Parental controls, etc makes no sense since those likely to be importing would be olders teens and adults anyway. So it has to be about getting the most for each game from each region based on the currency value. Region locking makes sure that happens on the larger scale.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't buy it. I'm still betting on region free (for cartridge based games). We only have a month or so until we can find out for sure.

Fularu

Banned

Customers complaining that the game isn't in their language.

Happened all the time while I was working at retail in France (I had a few friends working at customer support for Nintendo France and the number of pirate/legit foreign carts was prety high, a lot of the complaints came from people not understanding how to play those games since they lacked french).

Now Nintendo just prevents it, the game stairght up tells them it's not for their region.

You can disagree with the practice (legitimely so) but so few people are impacted that it's anlmost insignificant for the console maker bottom lines.

Before last E3 IGN happened to interview Iwata and had asked him that. All I remember is something about respecting cultures and parental controls.

jim-head-shake9psgm.gif

Iwata's explanations for these shitty policies are almost as bad as the policies themselves.

JoeM86

I assume you mean because the majority didn't believe it in the first place?

No. The majority of the userbases for gaming devices don't know about or care about region locking.

It really is something you seldom see outside of dedicated gaming establishments.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Well duh, region locking the system prevents importers from buying the game early, thereby reducing the potential number of units that could have been sold in another territory. Simple economics.

Nintendo isnt in a position to where they can continue with these anti consumer practices. Especially when playstation and xbox dont do this.

Sendou

No. The majority of the userbases for gaming devices don't know about or care about region locking.

It really is something you seldom see outside of dedicated gaming establishments.

"The majority of the userbases for gaming devices" have no idea who Shigeru Miyamoto is. Let that sink in.

MicH

I still don't understand how or why people thought it would be region free. Nothing indicates that happening in the near-future

StormKing

Nintendo isnt in a position to where they can continue with these anti consumer practices. Especially when playstation and xbox dont do this.

They can do it with their handhelds. Not with their consoles though. 3DS already sold 45 million despite being region locked.

Of course.

Why would they have changed that right now? New 3DS is still a revision after all.

Also: this rumor has always been pathetic. No one knew about the New 3DS before Friday. This is like the first time since forever that an handeld Nintendo revision has not been leaked. DSi was anticipated by Nikkei; 2DS by that weird French website that also got the Circle Pad Pro; 3DS XL was leaked by creamsugar.

I'm more willing to believe rumors of this kind when actually the news already spread before the official announcements. This case was totally different.

baterism

I just literally discussed about new 3ds and region locking with a friend. That cleared everything up. Region lock is here to stay. Not surprised at slightest , bummer.
Still getting one though.

This policy has never affected me personally, but I still believe that it's time for Nintendo to change their tune and remove the region-locking.

I hope for the sake of those who this policy affects that the change will happen sooner rather than later.

SerTapTap

Ugh. So very Nintendo of them, and not in a good way. Wasn't expecting it out of their weird ass transition console though.

Top Bottom