• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

bad rumour killed, New 3DS is region locked.

Nintendo will maintain its policy of region-locking hardware with the New Nintendo 3DS handheld, the company has confirmed to GameSpot.

It means that games released across Japan, Europe, and North America will only be playable in those territories, effectively eliminating the opportunity to import games without importing foreign hardware, too.

In contrast to Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo has a long history of region-locking its hardware, implementing the restriction to both the Wii U and 3DS systems.

Despite hope that this policy would change, on Wednesday a representative for Nintendo told GameSpot that the New Nintendo 3DS, and New 3DS XL, will both be region-locked.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-nintendo-3ds-will-be-region-locked/1100-6422079/

I didnt expect it to be region free anyway, though I am annoyed with Ninty for making the device (3DS) region locked.

Nyoro SF

:(

I remember all the Japanese titles I imported for my DS. Great times were had. Nintendo sure does like to make me sad.

Abriael

Banned
Of course. Did anyone really expect such a consumer-friendly move from Nintendo?

After they're making a three years old console obsolete, this is only par for course.

MLH

Well then, time to reboot #EndRegionLocking #NintendoRegionFree campaign.
(as if we ever stopped...)

Nibel

It never was a rumor, just wishy washy bullshit from a diehard Nintendo fan from Germany who has no clue about anything.

JoeM86

Can someone remind me what the defense of region locking is? Honest question.

K9dl98o.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, they said a while back that it was due to parental controls.

I can't remember where I saw that though, it was a long time ago.

Koren

In contrast to Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo has a long history of region-locking its hardware, implementing the restriction to both the Wii U and 3DS systems.
What?

Long-history that starts with DSi on portable...

And on home consoles, Sony's first attempt on region free is PS3 (which was very welcome).

Besides, Nintendo home consoles usually were far more easier to unlock than Sony's (sometimes just removing a piece of plastic from the console, or shorting a resistance).

I didnt expect it to be region free anyway, though I am annoyed with Ninty for making the device (3DS) region locked.
Me neither, but I like that they hear the question as often as possible, maybe they'll think about it for the next generation...

Toad.T

Banned

Poached sales. They believe that if you're going to buy the games before they're in English, then you won't buy the games when they're released here. Small market, yes, but Nintendo needs all the small markets they can get.

Or at least, that's what I could come up with.

Stet

Banned

I have to assume it has something to do with the size and pricing in different regional markets. Similar to how on older CDs there was frequently a "Japanese Import" to entice people from that region to buy at their higher pricepoints instead of importing from overseas.

(This is not a defense I agree with, incidentally.)

The best I could find...which still seems like garbage, especially when it comes to games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_lockout#Multimedia

"A regional lockout may be enforced for several reasons, such to stagger the release of a certain product, to hinder grey market imports by enforcing price discrimination, or to prevent users from accessing certain content in their territory because of legal reasons (either due to censorship laws, or because a distributor does not have the rights to certain intellectual property outside of their specified region)."

I can only think that Nintendo of Japan, Europe, and America all like to keep their respective pots of money colored as such.

Top Bottom