• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Expanded Universe |OT| A Neu Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
George Lucas bought some Marvel Star Wars comics at Midtown recently

midtown-george-lucas.jpg

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2015/03/george-lucas-pops-by-midtown-to-buy-star-wars-comics/

First Steve Wozniak had to line up to buy an iphone, now George Lucas has to buy Star Wars comics.

The corporate machine has conquered all.

The new EU is going to become as convoluted as the old one, and I have no doubt as soon as the new movies start hitting, we are going to see stuff being stomped on by the film makers.

They started fresh, but the 100% canon idea is likely not going to hold in the future.

Cheebo

Banned
The new EU is going to become as convoluted as the old one, and I have no doubt as soon as the new movies start hitting, we are going to see stuff being stomped on by the film makers.

They started fresh, but the 100% canon idea is likely not going to hold in the future.
That's the purpose of the story group. Storylines and scripts for films go through them at the very earliest stages.

That's the purpose of the story group. Storylines and scripts for films go through them at the very earliest stages.

Which doesn't matter when a movie is being made, as changes are often made on the spot by the director, lines are made up by the actors, revisions made on set between takes. Some "story group" is not going to tell a hollywood director that they can't do X, because of some vague reference in issue #32 of a comic book.

And with how fast they are pumping out material and number of cooks in the kitchen involved, toes are going to be stepped on left and right. When it comes to the movies, the producers of the film will have final say and a little EU is not going to stop their decisions.

The story group at best will be to keep continuity going throughout the EU, their impact on the filmmakers is highly questionable

Cheebo

Banned
The reason it will likely work is the new EU books are a lot smaller in scope than the old. They are telling stories that have no wider impact on the overall saga storyline. They are all one-off little adventures without much, if any, character advancement. I expect that to continue.

The reason it will likely work is the new EU books are a lot smaller in scope than the old. They are telling stories that have no wider impact on the overall saga storyline. They are all one-off little adventures without much, if any, character advancement. I expect that to continue.

If they keep things on the side story element, but still expect to see the little details and story elements within the books and comics often getting passed over for the films.

They will likely avoid situations where entire books and characters are made null and void, but stuff will still get messed up. Similar attempts with smaller scale projects like Halo didn't exactly work out either, lot of dependencies still pop up.

I don't reckon it'll be as bad as the old one. This one seems to have more control but I also don't disagree that it'll be 100% perfect. They'll probably change their minds on stuff in the future.

Cross-posting from the Community OT but it is about the new canon.

The first plot synopsis for Star Wars: Aftermath, the first Del Rey novel set after Return of the Jedi's been released.

''The second Death Star is destroyed. The Emperor and his powerful enforcer, Darth Vader, are rumored to be dead. The Galactic Empire is in chaos. Across the galaxy, some systems celebrate, while in others Imperial factions tighten their grip. Optimism and fear reign side by side. And while the Rebel Alliance engages the fractured forces of the Empire, a lone Rebel scout uncovers a secret Imperial meeting…"

So any impressions on the books released so far?

A New Dawn was okay, but really only served to kickstart the Rebels TV show. The writing wasn't bad, but I'd advise skipping it.

Tarkin starts off pretty slow considering how short it is, and I moved on to several other books since it didn't hook me right away. I plan on returning to it soon to finish it.

I'm very excited about Heir to the Jedi, despite the very middling reviews on Amazon. Fingers crossed...

Rootbeer

Banned
The Fiction stories published in Star Wars Insider are canon too.

There is a new story in the April issue, it features this guy... doesn't he look familiar? (if not, google "star wars concept art montross" -- not saying it is him but it sure looks like him)

Jason Fry's new short-story LAST CALL AT THE ZERO ANGLE, which is about a group of TIE pilots outside the cockpit.
Here's another look at the incredible artwork by John VanFleet and the character Florn, who you'll meet in the story which was written in conjunction with the Lucasfilm Story Group.

11017853_10153144141828713_1064651452934231581_o.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Reading Star Wars #3...

Oh hey C-3PO is
disassembled again
!

Yeah haven't seen that before...

Come on, lazy writing. FFS.

If you want to
take him out of commission just think of all the creative ways to do it... but no... just pull his body parts off
... again.

Don't consider it a spoiler; consider it a warning!

The setup for the next issue was pretty cool though! Take the good with the bad.

Savitar

That's a horrible cover.

I still laugh all the time when Lucas use to say the Empire was automatically over at the end of RotJ.

Altazor

BEHIND THE SCENES // MAR 17, 2015

WHAT HAPPENED AFTER ENDOR? FIND OUT IN STAR WARS: AFTERMATH
By now, I hope you’ve all read or heard about our exciting new publishing program that was announced earlier this week: “The Journey to The Force Awakens.” (And if you haven’t, go read about it here) We’ll be releasing about 20 books this fall, some of which take place right after the end of Return of the Jedi. The books – which range from activity books for kids to comics and novels for adult fans – will contain hints about The Force Awakens, including new starships, planets, characters, and subtle clues about what happened to our heroes in the months following the Battle of Endor. Right now I’m excited to tell you about Del Rey’s contribution to the program: the novel Aftermath.

I’m also excited to share with you that Aftermath will be written by Chuck Wendig, the critically-acclaimed author of Blackbirds, Mockingbird, Under the Empyrean Sky, and many other novels, as well as countless blog posts about the craft and business of writing. We’re thrilled that he agreed to work on this epic new project with us.

The second Death Star has been destroyed. Rumors are flying that the Emperor and his enforcer, Darth Vader, are dead. A new government is forming to replace the Empire. But the galaxy is a big place, and the fallout of this cataclysm will affect different worlds in different ways. Does everyone accept the fall of Imperial rule? Has everyone even heard the life-altering news? What rushes in to fill the vacuum the Empire has left? And who will try to stop them? Those are some of the themes we’ll be exploring in Aftermath, and as a lifelong Star Wars fan, just writing those words gives me chills. I can’t wait for our first canon glimpse into the state of the galaxy after the Battle of Endor.

What’s more, Aftermath will be the first book in a trilogy that begins to bridge the Star Wars timeline between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. There is so much unknown between the Battle of Endor and the events of The Force Awakens, and we’re excited to take our first step into that space.

Obviously I wish I could tell you more about the story, but I can’t just yet. What I can reveal is that you will be introduced to a sweeping new cast of characters, along with a fan favorite from the films. And who knows what other familiar faces will pop up along the way? And once you’ve seen The Force Awakens in movie theaters, you may find that certain names and places in Aftermath have a relevance you never knew–so keep your eyes wide open!

The one person more excited about Aftermath than the Del Rey team and I is Chuck Wendig! Chuck is a lifelong Star Wars fan himself, and it’s been an absolute pleasure working with him thus far. We asked Chuck to share a few words about being asked to write this novel, and here’s what he said: “My earliest — and still one of my best — movie-going experiences as a kid was being a four-year-old watching The Empire Strikes Back at a drive-in theater with my sister…My jaw dropped and I don’t think I’ve found it, yet. Those movies opened up a world for me, and my love of storytelling comes from them and from the galaxy of smaller, connected stories, too — from the toys to the games to the books. In fact, one of the first novels I ever read was the novelization of A New Hope. I have a son who will in a few short months be my age when I saw Empire, so to be involved with the Star Wars universe just as the new film is coming out — it feels like not only something akin to kismet, but a great and powerful privilege.”

Chuck isn’t the only one feeling the weight of that privilege. This is a story unlike any we’ve told before. And it all begins in just six short months! I hope you’ll eagerly await Aftermath‘s September release along with us until then. You can preorder your copy here.

In the meantime, stay tuned to starwars.com for other announcements about Aftermath and the rest of the Journey to The Force Awakens program! And if you’d like to learn more about Chuck, visit his site at terribleminds.com and say hi to him on Twitter at @ChuckWendig. May the Force be with us!

Jen Heddle is senior editor of Lucas Books

official info!

Savitar

Well, it'll probably be better than Truce at Bakura.

To be fair that's not a high standard.

Of course one of the good things about the new novels they are not beholden to what Lucas decreed and wanted. So it might actually mean we get some interesting twist and turns now.

Rootbeer

Banned
To be fair that's not a high standard.

Of course one of the good things about the new novels they are not beholden to what Lucas decreed and wanted. So it might actually mean we get some interesting twist and turns now.

... maybe? So far I'm not convinced. The material that's been released so far hasn't felt all that inspired (apart from Rebels, which is the best thing to-date even with its faults)... it's really not until the post-RotJ stuff starts coming out that I feel we can get a real picture for the level of quality we have to look forward to over the coming years, since it's the only place we can see the story team operating without restraints... I hope Disney has invested their money wisely in the right talent.

Savitar

... maybe? So far I'm not convinced. The material that's been released so far hasn't felt all that inspired (apart from Rebels, which is the best thing to-date even with its faults)... it's really not until the post-RotJ stuff starts coming out that I feel we can get a real picture for the level of quality we have to look forward to over the coming years, since it's the only place we can see the story team operating without restraints... I hope Disney has invested their money wisely in the right talent.

There is always hope. Until we are proven wrong.

For now we can only wait and see what happens, so much can happen now it's in the hands of many people and free of certain confines that was placed upon it. But what other rules or laws Disney may place is an unknown as well. It'll take some of the movies, some novels and other bits and pieces along with a few good years to have a good idea really. Everything is speculation until we can look back and reflect on what has been.

It'll be quite something to see what many think in a few years time if what is coming now has been positive or not.

I just want something as good as Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn.

I also am praying for a good love interest for Luke if they aren't gonna use Mara which is very heartbreaking btw.
Fuck you Sacrifice and Karren Traviss!

Rootbeer

Banned
I just want something as good as Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn.

I also am praying for a good love interest for Luke if they aren't gonna use Mara which is very heartbreaking btw.
Fuck you Sacrifice and Karren Traviss!

Rumors that
a Mara-like female darkside user will be in Star Wars Rebels as an Inquisitor, could be a good way to bring her into the canon.

Savitar

Rumors that
a Mara-like female darkside user will be in Star Wars Rebels as an Inquisitor, could be a good way to bring her into the canon.

They've been saying that there would be characters inspired by the originals with new names for some time now. So yeah I can believe this rumor.

Cheebo

Banned
Rumors that

That rumor came from a site that makes stuff up, no other site reported on it for a reason. It was odd it got linked here.

Synopsis of Dark Disciple, which is an adaptation of an unfinished The Clone Wars arc:

The only way to bring down the dark side’s most dangerous warrior may be for Jedi and Sith to join forces.

In the war for control of the galaxy between the armies of the dark side and the Republic, former Jedi Master turned ruthless Sith Lord Count Dooku has grown ever more brutal in his tactics. Despite the powers of the Jedi and the military prowess of their clone army, the sheer number of fatalities is taking a terrible toll. And when Dooku orders the massacre of a flotilla of helpless refugees, the Jedi Council feels it has no choice but to take drastic action: targeting the man responsible for so many war atrocities, Count Dooku himself.

But the ever-elusive Dooku is dangerous prey for even the most skilled hunter. So the Council makes the bold decision to bring both sides of the Force’s power to bear—pairing brash Jedi Knight Quinlan Vos with infamous one-time Sith acolyte Asajj Ventress. Though Jedi distrust for the cunning killer who once served at Dooku’s side still runs deep, Ventress’s hatred for her former master runs deeper. She’s more than willing to lend her copious talents as a bounty hunter—and assassin—to Vos’s quest.

Together, Ventress and Vos are the best hope for eliminating Dooku—as long as the emerging feelings between them don’t compromise their mission. But Ventress is determined to have her retribution and at last let go of her dark Sith past. Balancing the complicated emotions she feels for Vos with the fury of her warrior’s spirit, she resolves to claim victory on all fronts—a vow that will be mercilessly tested by her deadly enemy . . . and her own doubt.

http://www.randomhouse.com/book/7868/dark-disciple-star-wars-by-christie-golden/

LastNac

I don't know why they cant just give us a reboot of the characters. New Kyle Katarn could still be like old Kyle, just with different events used to shape him. I don't see how his origin would change, his interactions with Luke, sure, but his origin could still stay the same.

I wonder what their intent is for not using the names of old EU characters like Mara, but having new characters with parallel personalities. Perhaps they don't want to confuse the general public or fans like myself who probably faded away many years ago and haven't kept up? Kyle has a long history with LucasArts though, it would be a shame to just see them ditch twenty years of history and all...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I don't know why they cant just give us a reboot of the characters. New Kyle Katarn could still be like old Kyle, just with different events used to shape him. I don't see how his origin would change, his interactions with Luke, sure, but his origin could still stay the same.
Yeah, they should be going all Marvel/DC with this but... Aren't. It's just going to get confusing and alienating.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah, they should be going all Marvel/DC with this but... Aren't. It's just going to get confusing and alienating.
Who are they alienating? Most people I see are very excited about the new EU. Due to no more baggage and ease of jumping on. Especially when it comes to comics. Look how massive sales for the Marvel Star Wars comics have been, even post the #1's. Nothing in the old EU was able to do the incredible numbers marvel is doing with Star Wars now.

So far it has been very successful in bringing in the Star Wars fans who were put off/overwhelmed by the old EU.

It's not like they could have kept the old EU. It would be impossible to have all of the yearly movies with all of that endless baggage.

luffxan

Sigh, was hoping new books would help with depression caused by the scorched earth strategy brought to old canon....will read Tarkin but kinda low-key done with expanded universe at this point

Who says they wont? They are already quickly reusing EU material for the new EU. So much of the background presented so far in the new novels were previously established in the old EU. Lot of these authors are writing in a new continuity where there is no background for anymore,so it feels like they are just falling back to the background of the universe created in the EU and essentially working from there. The movies don't really explain much of anything, but years of universe building was established through expanded content, and it seems they are using lot of it again as a base but without the baggage or previous stories.

I have no doubt they will bring back many old EU characters

Who are they alienating? Most people I see are very excited about the new EU. Due to no more baggage and ease of jumping on. Especially when it comes to comics. Look how massive sales for the Marvel Star Wars comics have been, even post the #1's. Nothing in the old EU was able to do the incredible numbers marvel is doing with Star Wars now.

So far it has been very successful in bringing in the Star Wars fans who were put off/overwhelmed by the old EU.

It's not like they could have kept the old EU. It would be impossible to have all of the yearly movies with all of that endless baggage.

Much of the Marvel sales was hype building working out great, but I doubt sales will continue as such crazy numbers. Especially with how shitty the comics have been.

Ooooo just the thread I was looking for. Hope the OP gets updated with new releases and comics too!

Attempting to read all and keep up to date with the new EU. Wonder how long I will last!

In fact, is there a Wiki or anything to keep up to date with the new EU? Everything I find is the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom