• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Expanded Universe |OT| A Neu Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gintamen

Rootbeer

Banned
Anything non Zahn?
Come on...

Sweet, coming out on my birthday.

I might pick it up as well. But i'm more interested in the books/comics/other material that covers the non-movie periods of time.

Give us some post-RotJ books please!

This is going to be interesting for sure since not only will they be giving us stuff for the Force Awakens period (immediately before, during and after it) but there is now a 30 year period in between to explore since the old EU is Legends now.

Hope they are cooking up some good stuff.

I think I'm missing why people have an issue with the description of the new book?

mar·tial

adjective
adjective: martial
of or appropriate to war; warlike.
"martial bravery"
synonyms: military, soldierly, soldier-like, army, naval; More

Rootbeer

Banned
People are interpreting it as Vader and Sidious going hand-to-hand with their lightsabers against a small army I suppose, which feels a bit funny since we're so used to them being in these tense, dramatic battles of a more intimate nature and not on a battlefield slicing through one after another. Also I think the word "awesome" is conjuring up mental images of Prequel Trilogy style combat and a lot of people don't like thinking of those two characters partaking in it?

Not saying I agree with those assessments, just my interpretation of the reactions.

BTW, Clone Wars Spoilers:

It's canon, deal with it haters!

People are interpreting it as Vader and Sidious going hand-to-hand with their lightsabers against a small army I suppose, which feels a bit funny since we're so used to them being in these tense, dramatic battles of a more intimate nature and not on a battlefield slicing through one after another. Also I think the word "awesome" is conjuring up mental images of Prequel Trilogy style combat and a lot of people don't like thinking of those two characters partaking in it?

Not saying I agree with those assessments, just my interpretation of the reactions.

BTW, Clone Wars Spoilers:

It's canon, deal with it haters!

Clone Wars is at the mercy of Star War's owners. If just one Disney executive someday decides he/she doesn't like the show it will become non canon to make way for something else. Just remember that...always.

JNA

Banned
That arc was never finished. I feel like they intended to do more with maul before they got cancelled.

I still cringed when he begged though. That was...that was just not cool. I could never picture Maul doing that.

The only CN Star Wars show I liked was this one:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3VB_vjVxcic

It also showed how really badass General Grievous and made me incredibly pissed what the prequels did to GG.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WIj7gIDFDe4

Never got into the Clone Wars show. It just didn't look appealing at all compared to that other one.

Rootbeer

Banned
What the...they made Maul into a total wuss.

I don't accept it. :(
A wuss? Why, because he lost to the most powerful dark side force user in the galaxy? Of course he'd get his ass handed to him... he didn't fare too bad, honestly.

Maul's head isn't totally in the right place anyway since his return. If you watched the series you'd see how he's mentally more fragile than before, so to see him cowering at the end of the battle doesn't feel out of place to me.

That arc was never finished. I feel like they intended to do more with maul before they got cancelled.
I don't know what they ultimately intended for him, but I feel like they'd have him showdown with Obi-Wan again and lose a second time. May sound contrived but it's the most satisfying way for him to go, IMO. Obi-Wan must finish what he thought he finished the first time.

What's the alternative? Have Anakin kill him? Or maybe Vader, if Maul were to survive long enough? It just wouldn't be the same. Obi-Wan deserves that kill.

Maybe it's for the best that his death is up in the air. They could totally do an Obi-Wan stand alone film that takes place between Episode III and IV where Maul, in hiding for some years following the Son of Dathomir comic series, finally tracks Obi Wan down on Tattooine and they have their final showdown.

Cystm

These efforts seem like they are going to be extremely underwhelming. I have a casual interest in Heir to the Jedi, but everything else looks like piles of garbage in the form of books.

When the Emperor and his notorious apprentice, Darth Vader, find themselves stranded in the middle of insurgent action on an inhospitable planet, they must rely on each other, the Force, and their awesome martial skills to prevail.

ikE9kdmkibWJA.gif

Cheebo

Banned
Clone Wars is at the mercy of Star War's owners. If just one Disney executive someday decides he/she doesn't like the show it will become non canon to make way for something else. Just remember that...always.

Disney doesn't manage the content, Lucasfilm does. Disney has a very long history of being hands-off with their subsidiaries like Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar, etc. Lucasfilm will very likely never de-canonize the work of their creator. They even released a press release in May calling The Clone Wars an "immovable object" in canon that every future piece of media will always have to adhere to. The Lucas era canon is very sacred at Lucasfilm.

I mean your post is just as likely as wording it this way:

"Avengers: Age of Ultron is at the mercy of Marvel's owners. If just one Disney executive someday decides he/she doesn't like the movie it will become non canon to make way for something else. Just remember that...always."

It's silly. It is 100% canon on the same level as the 6 current films and there is zero indication that will change.

Could that change? Of course but Disney could de-canonize the entire current MCU or de-canonize Empire Strikes Back. What is important is The Clone Wars right now at Lucasfilm post-Disney purchase is seen as equal in canon as the films. And so the current state is the events that happened in the show as just as relevant as those that happened in the films.

Disney doesn't manage the content, Lucasfilm does. Disney has a very long history of being hands-off with their subsidiaries like Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar, etc. Lucasfilm will very likely never de-canonize the work of their creator. They even released a press release in May calling The Clone Wars an "immovable object" in canon that every future piece of media will always have to adhere to. The Lucas era canon is very sacred at Lucasfilm.

I mean your post is just as likely as wording it this way:

"Avengers: Age of Ultron is at the mercy of Marvel's owners. If just one Disney executive someday decides he/she doesn't like the movie it will become non canon to make way for something else. Just remember that...always."

It's silly. It is 100% canon on the same level as the 6 current films and there is zero indication that will change.

Could that change? Of course but Disney could de-canonize the entire current MCU or de-canonize Empire Strikes Back. What is important is The Clone Wars right now at Lucasfilm post-Disney purchase is seen as equal in canon as the films. And so the current state is the events that happened in the show as just as relevant as those that happened in the films.

You don't know what your talking about. This "hands off" approach is a very recent thing that Bob Iger has been implementing. I suggest you read up on how the former CEO Michael Eisner micromanaged everything and how many people left because they didn't want to deal with creative differences with Disney management. Lucasfilm is a 100% owned subsidiary of Disney and when the next CEO comes in within the next 3 years and decides to put an executive team in charge to have better oversight of the lucasfilm division that is their perogative.

It doesn't matter that Lucasfilm is at this time saying its an "immovable object". Lucas himself oversaw many other projects from the ewoks movies to the original clone wars cartoon to even stuff like Shadows of the Empire and Force Unleashed and those were all deemed non canon on a whim. If somebody pitches an idea to Disney that would contradict the prequels or clone wars but Disney felt could make hundreds of millions of dollars they will once again go back and change the canon in favor of the newer project. It's no different than what Marvel, DC and dozens of other companies have done over the years.

I think what you have to understand is that many of us are just sick and tired of talking about the prequels (and its related media) and just want to go back to a time when Star Wars was good. Thankfully Disney seems to be obliging.

JNA

Banned
A wuss? Why, because he lost to the most powerful dark side force user in the galaxy? Of course he'd get his ass handed to him... he didn't fare too bad, honestly.

Maul's head isn't totally in the right place anyway since his return. If you watched the series you'd see how he's mentally more fragile than before, so to see him cowering at the end of the battle doesn't feel out of place to me.

No. It's him begging for his life that made me dislike it. Maul begging for his life is like the Exile from KOTOR 2 getting stabbed in the ba-Oh wait... :(

CURSE YOU SWTOR!!!!!!!!!

That head not in the right place shouldn't be an excuse for how much of a wuss they turned him into. It's almost as bad as what they did to General Grievious in Episode 3. Going from a bad ass to some slower looking droid that looks like he's fighting lung cancer.

Cheebo

Banned
You don't know what your talking about. This "hands off" approach is a very recent thing that Bob Iger has been implementing. I suggest you read up on how the former CEO Michael Eisner micromanaged everything and how many people left because they didn't want to deal with creative differences with Disney management. Lucasfilm is a 100% owned subsidiary of Disney and when the next CEO comes in within the next 3 years and decides to put an executive team in charge to have better oversight of the lucasfilm division that is their perogative.

It doesn't matter that Lucasfilm is at this time saying its an "immovable object". Lucas himself oversaw many other projects from the ewoks movies to the original clone wars cartoon to even stuff like Shadows of the Empire and Force Unleashed and those were all deemed non canon on a whim. If somebody pitches an idea to Disney that would contradict the prequels or clone wars but Disney felt could make hundreds of millions of dollars they will once again go back and change the canon in favor of the newer project. It's no different than what Marvel, DC and dozens of other companies have done over the years.

I think what you have to understand is that many of us are just sick and tired of talking about the prequels (and its related media) and just want to go back to a time when Star Wars was good. Thankfully Disney seems to be obliging.
The point is it is silly to even make the point you initially did because someone could just as well come in and pitch a film to contradict Empire Strikes Back as well. What we have is what we know right now. And that is official Lucasfilm policy post-Disney purchase is to have Episodes I, II, III, IV, IV, V, VI as well as The Clone Wars all on the same level of canon as the base all future stories must adhere to. So at least for the foreseeable future the Clone Wars is as vital of a element to the franchise as any of the films, Prequel or Original and thus anything that happened in it shouldn't be lightly dismissed and will likely continue to be part of the overall star wars discussions.

Wiktor

So...does all that mean there will be no more new content in the old expanded universe? Like Old Republic novels and stuff?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
So...does all that mean there will be no more new content in the old expanded universe? Like Old Republic novels and stuff?

The only thing you can expect from the Old Republic Era are new SWTOR expansions. Other than that the old EU is prety much done.

old EU stuff is already leaking into the new EU though. Some stuff from the novel Plagueis is in the new Tarkin novel and that goofy villain from Star Wars Droids is canon again as well.

Screed2.JPG

Also, I hope they ditch SW:TORO and start working on a new Star Wars MMO.
Would love to see a Star Wars Galaxies 2 that takes place after the new trilogy.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Would love to see a Star Wars Galaxies 2 that takes place after the new trilogy.

Don't expect this anytime soon. SWTOR is actually generating profit for EA and they plan to support it for years.

Blues1990

I still cringed when he begged though. That was...that was just not cool. I could never picture Maul doing that.

The only CN Star Wars show I liked was this one:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3VB_vjVxcic

It also showed how really badass General Grievous and made me incredibly pissed what the prequels did to GG.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WIj7gIDFDe4

Never got into the Clone Wars show. It just didn't look appealing at all compared to that other one.

Great series, and I wished Grievous wasn't downgraded into a pushover in Episode III.

Quick question: Is Gendy Tartakovsky's "The Clone Wars" part of the current cannon, or has that changed since the spring cleaning the Disney Corporation had done since acquiring the rights?

jackal27

Banned
All for ditching the old EU and keeping some of the better elements. It was huge and confusing. Too much garbage.

I loved Clone Wars despite hating the prequels and Rebels is one of favorite shows on TV right now so I'm all about this new stuff.

Any comics that should be added to the OP?

Yeah, the Star Wars, Darth Vader and Leia comics could be added. Star Wars #1 is out on the 14th January.

I suppose it's not officially part of the canon but I just read Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison for the first time and really enjoyed it. The ending was brilliant.

Blues1990

old EU stuff is already leaking into the new EU though. Some stuff from the novel Plagueis is in the new Tarkin novel and that goofy villain from Star Wars Droids is canon again as well.

Screed2.JPG

I have never even heard of this character, or the cartoon he had spawn from. He looks like the product of a dehydrated orange & a potato that had got it on one New Years Eve.

Cystm

You make me sad.

Don't expect this anytime soon. SWTOR is actually generating profit for EA and they plan to support it for years.

The game is actually down compared to last year.

Net Revenue
For the three months ended September 30, 2014 , net revenue was $990 million and increased $295 million , or 42 percent , as compared to the three months ended September 30, 2013 . This increase was driven by a $476 million increase in revenue primarily from the FIFA and Battlefield franchises, and Titanfall. This increase was partially offset by a $181 million decrease in revenue primarily from the SimCity, Crysis and Dead Space franchises, and Star Wars: The Old Republic .

That said, they just released the Shadow of Revan expansion in December and might see some increase, though it's too early to really tell financially.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Yeah, the Star Wars, Darth Vader and Leia comics could be added. Star Wars #1 is out on the 14th January.

I suppose it's not officially part of the canon but I just read Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison for the first time and really enjoyed it. The ending was brilliant.
Star Wars: Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir should be added too because it was made using a script from Clone Wars.

JNA

Banned
SWTOR doesn't exist as far as I am concerned. That game kills Revan's story and curb stomps the living hell out of the Exile.

I just wanted KOTOR 3. Why didn't I get a KOTOR 3? :(

Just read the first issue from the new SW comic.

Lightwhips
are now officially canon.

Alternate weapons kind of make sense. There are races even in the prequels that lightsabers are clearly not the ideal weapon for and could even pose them more of a hazard.

just wondering, does Kotor games and the ToR mmo canon? isn't there rumor that StarWars 7 will have something about Revan (not sure though, I try too avoid SW7 news) and I only know Revan from Kotor and that there's Revan update for the MMO.

Cystm

just wondering, does Kotor games and the ToR mmo canon? isn't there rumor that StarWars 7 will have something about Revan (not sure though, I try too avoid SW7 news) and I only know Revan from Kotor and that there's Revan update for the MMO.
After lucasarts was bought by Disney everything was purged except for the movies and the clone wars that was currently airing at the same time which they were kinda forcing them to end prematurely making season 6 only on netflix. They wanted to roll out their new show Rebels.

So, all the previous comics, books, games (kotor and jedi knight are in this also) are purged. Only things that stayed are things mentioned or shown in the movies, cartoons, the new books and comics that are coming out.

Everything else is now in the category of Legends. EU is officially called Legends and the new canon timeline may take what they want from the Legends category and make their own story with bits and pieces if they so wish.

The Revan rumor was sparked after seeing Kylo for the first time, but was thrown out when the concept art for Kylo was leaked.

Woorloog

Banned
This is more about the old EU but anyway...

Anyone remember what was told about the Clone Wars pre-The Phantom Menace?

What i remember, roughly (also sources):
-It was set or ended approximately 35BBY (this date is apparently from Lucas himself)
-Honoghr was devastated because of it (Timothy Zahn's creation)
-Spaarti Cloning was used, clones could be grown in about a year. (Zahn again)
-Clone Masters controlled clone armies and fought against each other and the Republic (Zahn)
-Obi-Wan Kenobi was a Jedi General during it, he served Bail Organa during it somehow. (Lucas)
-Anakin Skywalker fought in it. (Lucas, also note Anakin was never referred as a general)
-Mandalorian Supercommandos fought in the Clone Wars against the Jedi (i think, i'm not quite sure. Lucas?)
-Obvious one: the Wars were a series of conflicts involving clones, as per the name, not a single war as portrayed in the films and the Clone Wars series.

-It is more or less implied, or possible to interpret data so that the Empire came later, as was Anakin's transformation to Darth Vader. There is no indication the Empire came to be because of the Clone Wars, or even immediately after it, though the Clone Wars leaving the Republic powerless and shattered is a good time for the Republic to transform into the Empire. (My assumption based on what i know)

-Lando Carlissian was originally (in the ESB drafts) meant to be a clone survivor from the Clone Wars, or a member of a clan that reproduced via cloning. Neither one is referred in any way in the final film or novelization however.

Anything else? Anyone remember any other given details, from Lucas or pre-The Phantom Menace EU? I know Lucas(film) was pretty adamant about nothing being said about it so stuff about it is sparse.

I am, out of curiosity, trying to gather what i can about the Clone Wars as they might have been, so long ago.

This is more about the old EU but anyway...

Anyone remember what was told about the Clone Wars pre-The Phantom Menace?

What i remember, roughly (also sources):
-It was set or ended approximately 35BBY (this date is apparently from Lucas himself)
-Honoghr was devastated because of it (Timothy Zahn's creation)
-Spaarti Cloning was used, clones could be grown in about a year. (Zahn again)
-Clone Masters controlled clone armies and fought against each other and the Republic (Zahn)
-Obi-Wan Kenobi was a Jedi General during it, he served Bail Organa during it somehow. (Lucas)
-Anakin Skywalker fought in it. (Lucas, also note Anakin was never referred as a general)

-It is more or less implied, or possible to interpret data so that the Empire came later, as was Anakin's transformation to Darth Vader. There is no indication the Empire came to be because of the Clone Wars, or even immediately after it, though the Clone Wars leaving the Republic powerless and shattered is a good time for the Republic to transform into the Empire. (My assumption based on what i know)

Anything else? Anyone remember any other given details, from Lucas or pre-The Phantom Menace EU? I know Lucas(film) was pretty adamant about nothing being said about it so stuff about it is sparse.

I am, out of curiosity, trying to gather what i can about the Clone Wars as they might have been, so long ago.

I could have sworn I saw this exact same post on Theforce.net Literature forum

Woorloog

Banned
I could have sworn I saw this exact same post on Theforce.net Literature forum

I have never posted there, so i don't know about it. EDIT or read it either for that matter, despite being an SW fan. I have this thought that the worst place for being a fan is always the official forum.
I should probably, might be faster way to dig through the past...

EDIT WTF, i found what you referred to:
http://boards.theforce.net/threads/everything-we-knew-about-the-clone-wars-c-1998.50026398/

Cheebo

Banned
Should I read Tarkin if I haven't read the Darth Sidious book yet? Or should I check it out first.

Darth Plagueis (assuming that is the book you meant)is part of the old EU that is no longer canon. So you do not need to read it before Tarkin at all.

Not to say it isn't a great book.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah I know it's technically legends, but it was one of the later books published... I feel like there is a bit of a grey area for some of those books. Even if they get totally overwritten, they may be later down the ladder. :p

But if the fanbase is anything to go by, I'm sure people just can't wait until "Sheev" is replaced with something else.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah I know it's technically legends, but it was one of the later books published... I feel like there is a bit of a grey area for some of those books. Even if they get totally overwritten, they may be later down the ladder. :p

But if the fanbase is anything to go by, I'm sure people just can't wait until "Sheev" is replaced with something else.

Sheev is from Takin. 100% canon right there!

Mistel

Banned
This is more about the old EU but anyway... Anyone remember what was told about the Clone Wars pre-The Phantom Menace?
Not directly related per se but it does show some of the ideas floating around at that point. In the New Hope novel the Emperor was a more of a figure head lacking force powers whilst Vader was a Sith lord still. So that is quite a difference to what eventually happened.

Expected, but we're getting a ton of post-ROTJ material this fall:

At least 20 new books—from novels for adults and teens to storybooks and stickerbooks for younger kids—will be released this fall to fill the gap between 1983’s Return of the Jedi and this December’s The Force Awakens, EW has learned exclusively.

Those hoping to find out what Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and Han Solo have been up to for the past three decades will find it first on the page, with Disney Worldwide Publishing and Lucasfilm Press confirming that the titles will be filled with Easter eggs foreshadowing events in J.J. Abrams’ Dec. 18 movie.

A few titles we can confirm are Del Rey’s Star Wars: Aftermath, which sounds like it may serve as an epilogue to the original trilogy—and perhaps a prologue to the new one. Meanwhile, Marvel Comics will put out one prequel called Star Wars: Journey to the Force Awakens and another preview story told from C-3PO’s perspective. For vehicle enthusiasts, Studio Fun International will print Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy.

No info on the authors for the adult novel or the comics (expect those at Celebration), but we did get details on YA stuff.

Cecil Castellucci (author of Tin Star) will write Moving Target, an adventure following Princess Leia; Jason Fry, who earlier wrote Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy, will be the author of The Weapon of a Jedi, about Luke Skywalker; Claudia Gray, author of the Evernight series of fantasy books, will write a book titled Lost Stars; and Greg Rucka, a comic book scribe and writer of the Atticus Kodiak novels, will pen Smuggler’s Run, a Han Solo tale.

It should all start releasing on September 4th.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/09/star-wars-release-20-books-journey-force-awakens?asdf&hootPostID=7ff3f5df92d8226bca4ca0fddcb87c6f

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
reading Heir to the Jedi book. probably my favorite book of the new EU so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom