• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Smith, Harry Knoles and Me in the same room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight I got the opportunity to hear a 3 hour talk between Kevin Smith and one of the Film professors here. It really blow me away, I have seen all of his films and loved them, but Kevin Smith is really funny in person. He covered just about any subject imaginable from "who would win in a fight between Darth Vader and Magneto" to "How was working on Southland Tales." But my favorite part about the whole experience was Harry Knoles was in the room and Kevin Smith didn't even acknowledge him. He even took a few shots at him and his stupid website throughout the evening.

I really really admire the guy, hes extremely witty in person. He admits he that alot of his stories share similar aspects and he even said he writes about the same thing alot.

Sounds like a cool experience. I missed out on one of the "Evening with Kevin Smith" tapings here in Ohio and have been kicking myself in the ass since,.

He seems to be a very down to earth guy who's confused by his own celebrity.

Outcast2004 said:
Sounds like a cool experience. I missed out on one of the "Evening with Kevin Smith" tapings here in Ohio and have been kicking myself in the ass since,.

He seems to be a very down to earth guy who's confused by his own celebrity.

I wouldn't say confused, but he definitely knows his place. He basically said he isn't a filmmaker he just wants a medium to write about his friends.

FlameOfCallandor said:
But my favorite part about the whole experience was Harry Knoles was in the room and Kevin Smith didn't even acknowledge him. He even took a few shots at him and his stupid website throughout the evening.

That's funny. I'm sure this is one event Harry won't be covering on that site of his.

Pachinko

I've heard that kevin smiths questionaire evenings are really bad becuase you have to sit in a room with 500 other kevin smith fans who are allegadly more annoying then that sound in the movie dumb and dumber that jim carey makes.

DMczaf

Pachinko said:
I've heard that kevin smiths questionaire evenings are really bad becuase you have to sit in a room with 500 other kevin smith fans who are allegadly more annoying then that sound in the movie dumb and dumber that jim carey makes.

I saw An Evening with Kevin Smith the other day, and like 90% of the questions that were asked were either "Can I suck your (or Jay's) dick?" and "Wanna get high/drunk after the show?"

And I'm not joking. :(

M3wThr33

Banned
My personal opinion is that Darth Vader is more handicapped. Magneto's powers would be quicker to weaken Vader before he could force-choke Magneto.

J2 Cool

True, skull crush before he could choke em out. Or just manipulate the metal lightsaber handle, as well as anything else to aid Magneto.

Kevin Smith said that magneto would win because he could either a) turn off Vader's breathing thing, or b) remove all the rivets from the death star and vader would be floating in space.

Teh Hamburglar said:
Darth Vader is a machine...machine made of metal in some cases.

Magneto > Darth Vader

Some nerd he was arguing with was saying that metal in the star wars universe was different and couldn't be manipulated by magneto.

Shawn128

FlameOfCallandor said:
Some nerd he was arguing with was saying that metal in the star wars universe was different and couldn't be manipulated by magneto.
Are we really going to argue about this?

Anyways, I for one would love to see a Magnito Vs. Vader movie. lol

mrmyth

FlameOfCallandor said:

That's the exact tact a Warsie would take, all right. To them all Star Wars characters cannot be beaten.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Mind if I ask why a film professor was needed for a discussion that had Kevin Smith tackling tough issues like what-if battles between fictional characters?

Teddman

DMczaf said:
I saw An Evening with Kevin Smith the other day, and like 90% of the questions that were asked were "Wanna get high/drunk after the show?"

And I'm not joking. :(
Haha, Kevin Smith and Jay Mewes spoke at my college back in '98, and that's pretty much what we ended up doing after the show. They probably don't roll like that anymore...

Smith is a nice guy in person, but a little aloof and withdrawn. He is very cool & witty on stage and in interviews, but actually sitting down and talking to the guy casually, he was really shy, kind of nervous and quiet. Jay on the other hand is extremely outgoing, really likes to party and is very down to earth. Got his tongue pierced, then rocked a keg party until 4:30am without missing a beat. :lol

With the metal suit Vader would be at the disavantage, but with that being said, Yoda would totally kick Magneto's ass!!! Metal or no metal Yoda is going to throw a massive sized object at you if he has too!!

woodchuck

Sorry to bump this.

Is the lecture series usally full with RTF students? Can regular UT students get in? Mark Cuban is coming April 17 so I'm interested in going to that.

It was a Master's Class so RTF had first pick, and the tickets went fast, so Im sure only RTF got in. However, CHUCK NORRIS will be attending the first week in May.

woodchuck

FlameOfCallandor said:
It was a Master's Class so RTF had first pick, and the tickets went fast, so Im sure only RTF got in. However, CHUCK NORRIS will be attending the first week in May.

Yeah. I saw that. I doubt I even have a chance of seeing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom