• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OKCupid OKTrends Race and Atrraction 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/race-attraction-2009-2014/

What did we learn? Don't be a black (at all) or asian man if you want to date outside your race.

scores2014.png

The values in these tables are “preference vs. the average". So, for example, in the bottom-right corner of the lower table, you see that white women think white men are 17% more attractive than the average guy.

Because this is GAF I'll highlight this part

Q: Are you saying that because I prefer to date [whatever race], I’m a racist?

On an individual level, a person can’t really control who turns them on—and almost everyone has a “type,” one way or another. But I do think the trend—that fact that race is a sexual factor for so many individuals, and in such a consistent way—says something about race’s role in our society.

Just to further add salt to the wound if you aren't white:

multirace.png

Much more at the link including a cool javascript where you can see the change of trends over the years.

am I reading it right that women rate men more harshly in general?

anyway, black women especially really get the short end of the stick. really sad to see.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I know I should get off of OKCupid, but it's just so easy to use. Last chick I talked to on OKCupid ended up talking to me, seducing me, and when I wanted to talk to her some more to get to know her, she said she only "wanted to fuck a black guy" and get it out of her system. That one cut me deep. :(

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
A lot of people in the comments are suggesting that weight may also be an important issue. People generally are less attracted to those who are overweight and African-American women seem to have the highest percentage of overweight or obese people in the US (around 60% vs 30% for white women) so that might be a factor as well.

maxcriden

I know I should get off of OKCupid, but it's just so easy to use. Last chick I talked to on OKCupid ended up talking to me, seducing me, and when I wanted to talk to her some more to get to know her, she said she only "wanted to fuck a black guy" and get it out of her system. That one cut me deep. :(

Your avatar change scared the shit out of me just now

entremet

anyway, black women especially really get the short end of the stick. really sad to see.

This isn't news. Online dating is a woman's market, which is why dudes shouldn't rely on it only for getting dates. Women are also bombarded with more messages as men are generally expected to initiate, even online.

A lot of people in the comments are suggesting that weight may also be an important issue. People generally are less attracted to those who are overweight and African-American women seem to have the highest percentage of overweight or obese people in the US (around 60% vs 30% for white women) so that might be a factor as well.

(・#・)

Rubenov

Forget about emotions did you get in on that action or what?

Come by to the Community thread, we're handing out your true scores in there, and oh god it's not good.

I don't think I could handle that!

Holy crap Asian women what's wrong with Black men?

Mm, from one Asian I hooked up with, when I asked her she said it was somewhat a result of parental conditioning. A lot Asian parents aren't fans of black men (in the dating their daughter context...and in general) and this sentiment is probably one of the influences that subtly shape how their daughters see black men.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
My black mother would not like it very much if my mulatto sister married a black (especially American) man. I blame it on European colonial conditioning.

Mesousa

Banned
No shock here. I have had asian women(Subcontinent) terrified to show me to their parents, yet will bring absolute loser Asian and white guys around.

Pretty much the game if you are a black guy who does not do the exclusive black/white female thing.

Cuburt

Confirms what I've always suspected, that I've experienced more racism in my love life than in any other situations.

R3TRODYCE

No shock here. I have had asian women(Subcontinent) terrified to show me to their parents, yet will bring absolute loser Asian and white guys around.

Pretty much the game if you are a black guy who does not do the exclusive black/white female thing.

Been there...

kirblar

The average woman is viewed as much more attractive than the average man by both men and women.

idk, its a bit of self destruction imo. as a biracial male (czech/AA) growing up and living in Chicago, in high school and currently in college, i have no problems dating/hooking up with white girls and other biracial girls, but black girls tend to be difficult to deal with when trying to date and hookup with, just being real. im still really attracted to black girl but tend not to go after them as hard because i get that whole "you light skin, i want a real nigga" bullshit a lot. and keep in mind i talk and act like a dude who grew up in urban Chicago and not some suburbanite, so its not that simple. there's more nuances to real life dating that online dating misses when it comes to interacting with people of other ethnicities.

Abounder

Banned

Seems like latinas also share the weight issue (but blacks are significantly more obese), yet they're in the green in the OP. But it would help to have overweight/obesity data from the dating site:

-

Holy crap Asian women what's wrong with Black men?

Asian cultures (Japan, Korea, China, India, etc) are obsessed with fair skin and marrying upwards, and Asians tend to hate eachother as well. As a half-Asian I can confirm, they're basically living in their own version of Mad Men when it comes to racism/sexism.

entremet

The average woman is viewed as much more attractive than the average man by both men and women.

Another way to put it--most men find many types of women attractive. most women only find certain men attractive.

These are just impression. Doesn't mean women are more shallow or vice versa. Women actually value looks less than men in these surveys.

I will never understand racial preferences, and I will also never understand racial preferences in terms of finding a relationship.

You can find a potential soulmate anywhere, why limit your options?

FZZ

Banned
These things never made sense to me. Since I'm a Pakistani would I be put under Asian?

Also I'm more fair skinned which makes people think I'm middle eastern so would I rank higher or lower?

Latino, white, black, and Asian is too vague imo.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
This isn't news. Online dating is a woman's market, which is why dudes shouldn't rely on it only for getting dates. Women are also bombarded with more messages as men are generally expected to initiate, even online.
In my experience in person, women initiating these kinds of things is a bit of a nightmare.
Yeah, I think you're cute and stuff, but I don't know you and don't want to touch your breasts :|

entremet

In my experience in person, women initiating these kinds of things is a bit of a nightmare.
Yeah, I think you're cute and stuff, but I don't know you and don't want to touch your breasts :|

A lot of men are thrown off by it. Even if the lady is attractive. It's happened to me and it made me feel uncomfortable lol.

kirblar

Another way to put it--most men find many types of women attractive. most women only find certain men attractive.

These are just impression. Doesn't mean women are more shallow or vice versa.
I think the issue is even simpler- there's just way more severe variance among men than women in terms of features. Gay guys subdivide (Bear, Twink, etc) into a bunch of different groups, and you also see the same lack of interracial dating there. Recent post article about Atlanta's split black/white gay communities had about 80% of couples being same-race.

Mesousa

Banned
Been there...

The first time really hurts, but after the a few times it just makes you laugh. I make no apologies for my ethnicity.

idk, its a bit of self destruction imo. as a biracial male (czech/AA) growing up and living in Chicago, in high school and currently in college, i have no problems dating/hooking up with white girls and other biracial girls, but black girls tend to be difficult to deal with when trying to date and hookup with, just being real. im still really attracted to black girl but tend not to go after them as hard because i get that whole "you light skin, i want a real nigga" bullshit a lot. and keep in mind i talk and act like a dude who grew up in urban Chicago and not some suburbanite, so its not that simple. there's more nuances to real life dating that online dating misses when it comes to interacting with people of other ethnicities.

I actually got the same thing, and I think its more of them just not finding you attractive more so than it is about your skin color. Its probably mannerisms more than anything else.

Rest

A lot of men are thrown off by it. Even if the lady is attractive. It's happened to me and it made me feel uncomfortable lol.
I wouldn't mind a woman approaching me, I just have never liked what women have done when they do. They start talking about sex stuff, for instance, since I'm black, talking about how big black men's penises are. Or, like in my last post, doing things like pressing their body against me or putting my hand on their breast. It's really not what I'm looking for right out of the gate, and really ruins any attraction I have.

If a woman would come up to me and say something like "you know, I think you should ask me on a date" I'd be much more receptive.

Am I reading this correctly? 60% of black women are obese???

Mesousa

Banned
I wouldn't mind a woman approaching me, I just have never liked what women have done when they do. They start talking about sex stuff, for instance, since I'm black, talking about how big black men's penises are. Or, like in my last post, doing things like pressing their body against me or putting my hand on their breast. It's really not what I'm looking for right out of the gate, and really ruins any attraction I have.

If a woman would come up to me and say something like "you know, I think you should ask me on a date" I'd be much more receptive.

My personal favorite is when a woman approaches you and say something to the effect of: "I only date black men"...I run into this a lot and I never exactly know how to answer this when I come across it. It is usually white women too. I can really only laugh because I know even if we attempted to go further she is just going to be upset because I am the antithesis of everything her media shows her what a black man is.

Rest

Am I reading this correctly? 60% of black women are obese???

Yeah, the numbers are high. There's a bit of an awareness campaign for it, but it's quite small for how bad the problem is.

My personal favorite is when a woman approaches you and say something to the effect of: "I only date black men"...I run into this a lot and I never exactly know how to answer this when I come across it. It is usually white women too. I can really only laugh because I know even if we attempted to go further she is just going to be upset because I am the antithesis of everything her media shows her what a black man is.
I've never gotten that one before, I can't imagine a conversation where someone said that to me going very far though.

I've certainly seen people using these things who immediately reject any girl who is black.

This makes me sad.

I blame negative black female stereotypes that are portrayed in the media. They only serve to make the situation worse, especially when there are people who haven't even had an entire conversation with a black person

Vyroxis

Banned
As a white male who has dated a black female, I can say it was an enjoyable experience that I would gladly repeat if I were single again.

Meeting her parents, however, was a godawful nightmare that I never want to repeat. Never met a father so hostile towards me in my life.

harSon

Banned
As a white male who has dated a black female, I can say it was an enjoyable experience that I would gladly repeat if I were single again.

Meeting her parents, however, was a godawful nightmare that I never want to repeat. Never met a father so hostile towards me in my life.

I know you mean well, but thoughts like these are a problem IMO. You should be viewing people as individuals. A good experience with X, Y and Z ethnicity should not effect your willingness to seek X, Y and Z ethnicity in the future, and vice versa. It almost comes off as applying consumer brand loyalty to your social life, which is weird as hell.

I know you mean well, but thoughts like these are a problem IMO. You should be viewing people as individuals. A good experience with X, Y and Z ethnicity should not effect your willingness to seek X, Y and Z ethnicity in the future, and vice versa. It almost comes off as applying consumer brand loyalty to your social life, which is weird as hell.

I'm pretty sure he only included races given of the context of the thread. I don't think his intention is what you read it as, especially given his second paragraph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom