• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humble Flash Bundle SHMUPS (Crimzon Clover World Ignition, Danmaku Unlimited 2, etc)

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The flash HIB boasts a bunch of pretty good shmups this time. I'm pretty well acquainted with most of them so I thought of writing short reviews/impressions in order to get more people to try these amazing games.

Really Big Sky

Big-Sky-Screen1-570x320.jpg

Procedurally-generated horizontal shmup with pretty graphics and a bunch of gameplay modes (the devs have been supporting it with a bunch of patches ever since it's release). Good entry point as it is not a very difficult game. The little time I spent playing this, was quite enjoyable. Demo is available here.

Syder Arcade

888126245812_2.gif

The most "retro" of the bunch. Admittedly, I haven't played this one that much despte owning it for years. Maybe another poster can help me out more with the impressions.

Danmaku Unlimited 2

DU2_gif_2.gif

Despite starting as a mobile game, DU2 has production values and an incredible scoring system . Also, in a very non-shmup manner it features a kickass rocking OST. This one falls within the bullet hell subgenre but it is not the most difficult out there. Good entry point for the more "modern" shmups you'll find these days in other platforms.

Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender

ComplexTidyDairycow.gif

Resogun but with cats. Short but really fun game.

Crimzon Clover World Ignition

ieeillrQt2Ln0.gif

Voted by the hardcore fans as the best indie shmup ever a while back, not that this has changed though. Incredible shmup with tons of depth and easy enough for new players too. One of my favorite bullet hell shmups this year.

Hope this encourages some of you to give these games a try. If you feel like finding more info about shmups in general, join us at the shmups thread!
Hopefully, together we'll be able to keep CAVE/G.rev/Qute/MOSS afloat.

gngf123

Everyone buy this for Crimzon Clover. Especially if you enjoy Cave shooters.

It is the best shooting game on Steam.

Tain

So Crimzon Clover is awesome? I'm thinking of picking up the bundle for it because I'm digging the .gif.

Crimzon Clover is, honestly, the only good game in this bundle from what I've seen, but it is a masterpiece. It is utterly Cave-caliber save the aesthetics at times.

gngf123

Crimzon Clover is, honestly, the only good game in this bundle from what I've seen, but it is a masterpiece. It is utterly Cave-calibre save the aesthetics at times.

Honestly, Danmaku Unlimited 2 is pretty decent as well. Nowhere near as good as CC, but pretty solid.

Ultimadrago

Crimzon Clover is, honestly, the only good game in this bundle from what I've seen, but it is a masterpiece. It is utterly Cave-caliber save the aesthetics at times.

Thanks for the input. Purchased for Crimzon then! I'll likely give the others a go too.

shaowebb

Own em all and I'm desperately trying to think of any shmup friends to hookup with this news. Crimzon Clover is worth the price of admission by itself.

Momentary

Banned
Danmaku Unlimited 2 and Crimson Clover are worth it man. Danmaku has the best soundtrack to any Shmup period. Crimson Clovers game play is just outstanding. You can't go wrong with either. Fortunately... I own every game in this bundle.

Hinomura

Syder Arcade

888126245812_2.gif

The most "retro" of the bunch. Admittedly, I haven't played this one that much despte owning it for years. Maybe another poster can help me out more with the impressions.

Hi! Just a quick "thumbs up" for Syder Arcade. I've played it a bit (about six hours) and it's a nice horizontal shmup that could remind old Amiga games (ie Project X).
You power up your ship while blasting enemies and getting eventual Powerups, you have a "timed" score multiplayer and you can move both left and right way and you can switch direction. Advancing in stages brings out thougher enemies until the Stage Boss.

The main story is a bit short, but you can replay it with various difficulty settings. There's a Survival mode too - please mind that the main difficulty settings affects this too.

There is a peculiar extra too, the possibility to change the "visuals" to make it similar to "old school" experiences (Vic20, C64, Amiga, CGA, EGA, etc). But it can make things a bit messy, especially with very lowres and low colors visuals.

If you're a bit hungry on the horizontal shmup side, go for it!

Anyway this is a very good bundle! Recommended! :)

Crimzon Clover is one of THE best shmups ever made (in my top 3), A must buy for any shmup player but especially those who don't have a 360 and want a taste of CAVE's style of bullet hell.

Made by Clover-TAC one of the best players in the genre under the dev name of Yosubane. He spent IIRC 8 years making the original doujin version, the steam version is a port of the supercharged arcade version.

Momentary

Banned
Man, people not paying the 7 bucks for Crimson Clover either already have or are making a big mistake.

Man seeing this makes me want to go back and play some Crimson Clover and Danmaku Unlimited 2. I think after I complete my 52 games in one year challenge I'm going to do just that.

Pakkidis

Not into SHUMP however I did play Syder Arcade and I did find it enjoyable enough to get all the achievements in them.

me0wish

Thanks for the recommendation, bought based on this thread, I hope I won't regret it!

When are we getting a steam handheld?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Dammit I missed this. Really wanted Crimzon Clover plus the other games look awesome too.

Fularu

Banned
I already own 3 of the games, just missing Danmakuru and the Kitty game..

10$ for just two games sounds rather.. steep.

Top Bottom