• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 LTD reaches ~2x/3x that of PS2/PS3 in Asia over same time period

stryke

ib2KmTTg2BdA82.png

edit - Cleaner pic, thanks jediyoshi

6hJRysI.jpg

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Well yeah, PS2 was supply constrained because of DVD, PS3 was supply constrained because of Blu-Ray.

PS4 isn't supply constrained.

SmokyDave

It's too early in the morning for this. I just sat there thinking 'well, no shit, who's buying a PS2 nowadays?!'. Took me a minute to figure out they meant 'in' the same time rather than 'at'.

I need a coffee. Well done PS4.

Deadstar

Does this mean we will see a return of the greats like Time Splitters and Bloody Roar? I want a PS2 like library with such a huge install base.

It's too early in the morning for this. I just sat there thinking 'well, no shit, who's buying a PS2 nowadays?!'. Took me a minute to figure out they meant 'in' the same time rather than 'at'.

I need a coffee. Well done PS4.

haha, that gave me a good laugh. and yeah, congrats to Sony for their success with the Playstation 4.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
But how much console buying at all did Asia do in eras past?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Does this mean we will see a return of the greats like Time Splitters and Bloody Roar? I want a PS2 like library with such a huge install base.

Maybe if games start buying mid tier games and not base their purchase decisions on production values.

Otherwise, I don't see anything changing.

Well yeah, PS2 was supply constrained because of DVD, PS3 was supply constrained because of Blu-Ray.

Complete fallacy. You don't know how difficult it was to get a PS4 at a non scalping price in Asia for the first few months.

It is definitely easier (and cheaper) to find a PS4 here than a PS2/3 was back in their day. I am really curious about how they are performing actual numbers wise. Outside of myself I only know one guy (my brother in law) that has one, but I might just be running with too senior a crowd^^

When did Sony release the PS2 in Asia? If I recall correctly they took ages to release the console outside of Japan, USA and Europe.

Asia ex-Japan are normally slow adopters IINM.

My anecdotal experience was that for the PS3, many friends were holding off waiting for the consoles to be jailbroken first.

However, they have since given up hope on that and have embraced that in console space, the era of jailbroken games is gone.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
My anecdotal experience was that for the PS3, many friends were holding off waiting for the consoles to be jailbroken first.

However, they have since given up hope on that and have embraced that in console space, the era of jailbroken games is gone.

good riddance. Platform holders will never take asia seriously until that mindset goes away.

Tsk tsk Microsoft. I don't know why they continue to ignore Asia or treat it as bottom tier. Just look at all the sales you lost [to Sony] here.

Renekton

I was surprised X360 wasn't more prolific in the region, since it along with Wii were quickly and painlessly jailbroken.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm starting to wonder if PS4 is going to have a sharp rise/fall in numbers - I.e reach saturation point much more quickly than previous generations. Which might mean it is difficult to sustain a long generation compared to last time around. I also wonder about PS3 vs 360 conversion rates. 360 owners seem to be still buying software - more so than PS3. So are there more 360 owners still to convert, and could that affect the PS4:XB1 ratios later on?

One4U

Banned
Congrats to Sony & PS4. Hope X1 will get some good sales as well (although not on par with PS4...) when it is launched in Asia.

NekoFever

Did DVD ever affect the PS2 supply? It was a completely different situation to Blu-ray because it was already a mature technology that had been on the market for a couple of years at that point. It wasn't brand new and essentially being carried by the console like Blu-ray was with the PS3.

RalchAC

Hey genius, what continent is Japan in?

Japan is an island :p. Yeah, I know its Asia, but people usually diferenciates them from mainland Asia just like they sometimes do with UK and mainland Europe. The fact that both countries have different spending habits (for what I've read) compared to the rest of the continent should be the reason why this happens.

On topic, I think the Ps4 launched in Asia on December.

Can anyone fill this with Japan data launch aligned numbers for PS4 vs. PS3/PS2?

That gives us an idea how much more Asia excluding Japan has grown.

klee123

Not surprised there considering how much Chinese and Korean language support Sony is giving on a lot of their major titles.

Compared to the old PS1 and PS2 days where an Asian release of a Japanese game is basically identical to the JPN version, but with an extra English/Chinese slip detailing the controls and etc.

stryke

Can anyone fill this with Japan data launch aligned numbers for PS4 vs. PS3/PS2?

That gives us an idea how much more Asia excluding Japan has grown.

I'm having trouble being convinced that this graph is including Japan (since for a long time, SCE Asia and SCE Japan were separate).

PS2 opened with 1 million in Japan and I don't think it released in other Asia countries until over a year later.

If this graph did include Japan, does that mean Sony sold 2 million consoles in Asia right off the bat?

edit - hmm maybe it's not so ridiculous since they sold 4.2 million by the end of 2013....

Daviii

I'm starting to wonder if PS4 is going to have a sharp rise/fall in numbers - I.e reach saturation point much more quickly than previous generations. Which might mean it is difficult to sustain a long generation compared to last time around. I also wonder about PS3 vs 360 conversion rates. 360 owners seem to be still buying software - more so than PS3. So are there more 360 owners still to convert, and could that affect the PS4:XB1 ratios later on?

Reaching saturation point is good. That only means price drops for everybody :)

I'm having trouble being convinced that this graph is including Japan (since for a long time, SCE Asia and SCE Japan were separate).

PS2 opened with 1 million in Japan and I don't think it released in other Asia countries until over a year later.

If this graph did include Japan, does that mean Sony sold 2 million consoles in Asia right off the bat?

Most of us got it in December and in fairly small amounts because systems were still needed to fulfill North America and European demand. I am 95% sure these charts are for everyone in Asia excluding Japan.

Worth mentioning that lots of APAC economies grown significantly since the early 2000s. Indonesia economy for example grown 10X since 2000. Purchasing power in lots of countries there now >>> PS2 days.

stryke

Most of us got it in December and in fairly small amounts because systems were still needed to fulfill North America and European demand. I am 95% sure these charts are for everyone in Asia excluding Japan.

Yeah. If this chart did include Japan, we would see the considerable upswing of 300k units 2 months post launch.

Top Bottom