• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamen Rider Drive |OT| START YOUR ENGINE AND DRIVE THE KAMEN RIDER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
MgOr3qfl.jpg

Sundays starting 10/5 on TV-Asashi at 8:00 A.M.

Full Trailer

Kamen Rider Drive is the 2014-2015 series of the popular Kamen Rider Series, and the 16th "Hesei Series". The biggest change for the series is that the titular Kamen Rider has traded in the franchise's iconic motorcycle in favor of a car, and has been said to be "Kamen Rider meets Knight Rider". Furthermore, the series is said to be a turning point for the franchise as the Hesei Series has now exceeded the Showa Series in terms of Rider count.

Kamen Rider Drive is written by Riku Sanjo and directed by Ryuta Tasaki, the same team that brought us the fan-favorite Kamen Rider W. Furthermore, the actor who played Kamen Rider Eternal in Kamen Rider W, Mitsuru Matsuoka, will be providing the series' theme song "SURPRISE-DRIVE".

Plot

After a series of mysterious and destructive large-scale incidents happened all over the world due the the experiments on "hyper-acceleration", a steadily increasing number of people started experiencing time "freezing" around them. In order to understand this phenomenon, the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department set up a "Special Unit" to work on incidents that happen under special circumstances.

The newest recruit of the Special Unit is Tomari Shinnosuke. He was an elite police detective and a car enthusiast. But due to an incident where a fellow cop was incapacitated, he lost all motivation in his work. He would have quit the force altogether, if it weren't for a mysterious invitation to join the Special Unit.

But the time freezes are not the only calamity born out of the incidents. It also gave rise to the Roymyuudo - 108 malicious artificial beings residing in the net. In their desire to become human, they respond to strong emotions in humans and cause mysterious incidents to happen and, in the worse case, materialize in the real world. Thankfully for mankind, Shinnosuke gets a hold of the Drive Driver - a highly technologically advanced belt with an artificial intelligence. With his new "partner" and another device called the Shift Brace, he can protect the citizens by transforming into Kamen Rider Drive!

Cast

y37N2DZ.png

Shinnosuke Tomari/Kamen Rider Drive: The protagonist, a rookie member of the "Special Unit" branch of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department. Once an elite cop, he suffered a set-back after a fellow cop was incapacitated. Now, as Kamen Rider Drive, he works to defend Tokyo from the threat of the Roymyuudo.

0nYoPQe.png

Kiriko Shijima: The female lead, a fellow cop of the "Special Unit" branch of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department, she is strong and dedicated to her job, but has a 'robotic' personality that can be quite frightening. She's one of the few who knows the true identity of Kamen Rider Drive.

FymhdZh.png

Genpachirou Otta: A member of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department, he serves as a liaison between the Special Unit and the Main Branch. A trustworthy and hardworking detective, he considers the Special Unit a complete waste of time and continuously mocks them. Underneath his hard outer shell, however, is a kind and caring man who looks after others.

Rdou7YG.png

Jun Honganji: The section chief of the "Special Unit" branch of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department, he's a straight-laced leader with a strong belief in feng shui and fortune telling, to the point of always wearing a tie matching that day's lucky color.

iToLBgJ.png

Rinna Sawagami: An honorary member of the "Special Unit" branch of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department, she's a young and brilliant scientist studying the Roymyuudo. She's also single, fellas.

m6rZueE.png

Kyuu Saijoi: An honorary member of the "Special Unit" branch of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department, he's skilled in digital and information gathering technology, but is a bit of an otaku with a dangerous love of the occult.

byrCRRb.png

Heart: The leader of the Roymyuudo.

hvXMtD5.png

Brain: The second-in-command of the Roymyuudo, skilled in data analysis. He considers Drive to be the #1 threat to the Roymyuudo's existence.

Y0RfL7Z.png

Chase: A lady killer who works as a hitman, he serves as Drives main rival and can transform into "Mashin Chaser", capable of using his own brand of Shift Cars to use the power of the Roymyuudo. He rides a motorcyle known as "Shinigami", although it is still unknown if he is considered a 'Kamen Rider'.

Gear

YQSNDvo.jpg

Drive's Belt is known as the "Drive Driver" (aka Mr. Belt), and is voiced by Chris Peppler (Crazy Taxi's Gus), and works in tandem with the Shift Brace. By inserting a Shift Car, Kamen Rider Drive can transform into one of three (at this point) Types: Type Speed (default), Type Wild, or Type Technique. Furthermore, other Shift Cars can also change the Tire on the front of Drive, giving him new attacks. Any of the main three Types can be combined with the sub Types, thus allowing for countless combinations.

Kamen Rider Drive is also assisted by his trusty car, Tridoron, which helps him combat evil. Furthermore, like Drive himself, Tridoron can also transform through the use of Shift Cars into new forms depending on the situation. This tag-team combination of a man and his car cannot be stopped!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
My friend keeps trying to get me to watch Kamen Rider with him, I'll probably finally start watching with this series.

you should go one back and start with gaim. its pretty damn good, and the final episode of the main story just aired

Watch Da Birdie

My friend keeps trying to get me to watch Kamen Rider with him, I'll probably finally start watching with this series.

You might want to quickly check out Kamen Rider W, it's usually recommended as a great starting point, and will probably give you a taste of what to expect.

I wouldn't be surprised if Drive ends up having a W cross-over down the road, actually. The signs are there...

ZoddGutts

I have faith this will be good since the writing team did Kamen Rider W and Fourze, both of which I enjoyed. Also liked Kyoryuger Sentai and Beet the Vandel Buster anime/manga from Sanjo.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The strength of Gaim will make anyone cry, it's not just some passing through toku show, remember that.

its to build a foundation on what to want from a rider show. things along the lines of w and kabuto, and not wizard and decade

Corgi

Banned
jrlc2A64egfz6.jpg

doesn't even drive stick.

on that note, I like how they pretty much just found a random old beater in a junkyard somewhere to built the drive car around :p

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Woah woah woah, I didn't know W's writers were on this.

W is my favorite series, so this just shot my excitement up by a bajillion.

WillyFive

Might be good. I wish Sakamoto was directing, but he does seem more comfortable making movies than shows. More screentime for backflips and all that.

Corgi

Banned
Sentai isn't really great for binging due to the serialized nature imo. It's mostly the same shit week to week in terms of structure.... although gaim was different.

Curious if Drive will go back to the Monster of the 2 week structure of typical heisei KR.

Sentai isn't really great for binging due to the serialized nature imo. It's mostly the same shit week to week in terms of structure.... although gaim was different.

Curious if Drive will go back to the Monster of the 2 week structure of typical heisei KR.
I used to do it all the time. I never got bored or burned out on it, surprisingly.

Delio

I remember being turned off Gaim at first cause of the fruits thing. After Power Morphicon this year I went back and caught up on it and dear lord I was missing a really good show.

Slayven

Hehe, turning Kamen Rider into Metal Heroes wasn't enough, now they are getting rid of the bikes.
Bikes been an afterthought for years.

Wait, Gaim ended already? I stopped around episode 30, because it was too good to watch weekly.
the finale was yesterday, biut they have an epilogue ep.

I remember being turned off Gaim at first cause of the fruits thing. After Power Morphicon this year I went back and caught up on it and dear lord I was missing a really good show.
Gaim snook up on a lot of people. Dancing? Pokemon battles? Nothing could come from that...... How wrong they were.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Woah woah woah, I didn't know W's writers were on this.

W is my favorite series, so this just shot my excitement up by a bajillion.

Sweet, really explains why I was getting W vibes from Kamen Rider Drive, guess I better buckle up as I will be in for a fun ride.

I wonder how many car puns we will have to endure. -_-;

I want to get through Wizard. Then I can enjoy the "fruits" of my labor.

Well Wizard highlight is that the fight scene are really good and that Kamen Rider Beast is awesome.

I won't lie, I'm hoping Drive is a bit more light-hearted after Gaim's Heart of Darkness run.

Also, $10 says Kiriko is a literal robot.

Red Comet

I don't know how I feel about this, the costume sort of reminds me of a knock-off Transformer. I haven't actually watched a Kamen Rider series regularly since OOO. That said, W is one of my favorite Kamen Rider series ever, so if this is being done by the same people then I may give it a go.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I don't know how I feel about this, the costume sort of reminds me of a knock-off Transformer. I haven't actually watched a Kamen Rider series regularly since OOO. That said, W is one of my favorite Kamen Rider series ever, so if this is being done by the same people then I may give it a go.

His car looks like a knock-off transformer

Nyanmaruz

I also stopped watching Kamen Rider ever since Fourze ended. Is there a compiled list of Wizard episodes that I should only watch in order to understand the main story and skip all the filler episodes?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I also stopped watching Kamen Rider ever since Fourze ended. Is there a compiled list of Wizard episodes that I should only watch in order to understand the main story and skip all the filler episodes?
Based off a little research and what I remember from the show:

1-3, 8-13, 17-23, 26-31, 34-35, 38-51

Though I think you're better off skipping the whole thing. But who knows, maybe just watching the story parts might make it enjoyable.

Watch Da Birdie

I'm pretty sure those two girls that appeared in W all the time (Elizabeth and Queen I think they were named?) are going to be in Drive Episode 1 too, well, as different characters.

There's a whole bunch of W-stuff I'll be disappointed if it never results in a cross-over.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm going to try to make this the year that I finally follow a Kamen Rider series. I've followed the other half of the 8-9 Super Hero Time hour for years so it can't be that big of a jump for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom