• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamen Rider Drive |OT| START YOUR ENGINE AND DRIVE THE KAMEN RIDER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

We need Sakamoto to come back to Rider everything. He does really great practical stunts.

eternalkick.gif

3476263_o.gif

Not enough riders talk shit after a finisher.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wait wait wait

aren't most youtube uploads TVN? I'd actually avoid them if possible.

I know sometimes it's the others, but due to TVN releasing episodes in a YouTube-friendly format, they're the most common.

Note to Toku newcomers: AVOID TV-Nihon. They barely translate, often get things wrong, and put more work in their stupid flashy effects than translating.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
One way to know if it's a TVN translation - if the text has weird fonts and colors, and has a flashy subtitle when a character transforms, it's TVN.

NeonZ

I prefer a nice clean kick in a W or Kabuto style. Without all that chip CGI

kamen-rider-kabuto-o.gif

But W's kick had that horrible "splitting in half" cg that resulted in his main Rider Kick having no impact before he got Xtreme. I love how recent crossover movies (Ultimatum, Heisei vs Showa) seem to be replacing Joker Maximum Drive with Cyclone Maximum Drive, which looks much better.

Busty

Banned
Just out of curiosity what short of slot does this get on the schedule? Is it a prime time show on a broadcast network a'la Doctor Who on the BBC?

Xadhoom

Neo Member
No, it's in the sunday morning kids programming slot. But I think Sentai and Rider used to have a primetime slot until the '90s.

Busty

Banned
No, it's in the sunday morning kids programming slot. But I think Sentai and Rider used to have a primetime slot until the '90s.

Ahh. I know that it has a tie in toy line which made me think it was primarily a kids show but I do seem to remember that it had a prime time slot at one point.

Thanks for the reply!

Slayven

I know sometimes it's the others, but due to TVN releasing episodes in a YouTube-friendly format, they're the most common.

Note to Toku newcomers: AVOID TV-Nihon. They barely translate, often get things wrong, and put more work in their stupid flashy effects than translating.
You know how many years I went thinking Dekamaster's catchphrase was untranslatable?

Kabuto's Rider kick is a class of its own, dammit. So sad he went back to jump n kick later in the series.
the quiet Tendou was the more harsh the kick was.

But W's kick had that horrible "splitting in half" cg that resulted in his main Rider Kick having no impact before he got Xtreme. I love how recent crossover movies (Ultimatum, Heisei vs Showa) seem to be replacing Joker Maximum Drive with Cyclone Maximum Drive, which looks much better.
Joker enhanced finishers were the best.

Just out of curiosity what short of slot does this get on the schedule? Is it a prime time show on a broadcast network a'la Doctor Who on the BBC?
8am on Sunday mornings

NeonZ

There's also one of Tv Asahi's affiliated stations that's used to get raws that has commercials about Rider reruns at Friday night.

Boss Doggie

Ahh. I know that it has a tie in toy line which made me think it was primarily a kids show but I do seem to remember that it had a prime time slot at one point.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah it's a sunday morning programming.

With that said prime time =/= not kiddie. Pokemon for instance is Thursday primetime in Japan.

Corgi

Banned
Which is hilarious because gaim is no way a kiddie show. They must have Trojan horse the executives with the fruit samurai theme.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Which is hilarious because gaim is no way a kiddie show. They must have Trojan horse the executives with the fruit samurai theme.

The theme of the show is decided before they even hire a writer. Urobuchi's said that when he was hired, a bunch of the weapons/Lock Seeds/suits were already designed.

NeonZ

Well, watch any shows from Kuuga to Blade. The type of atmosphere Gaim went for wasn't that odd for Heisei Rider until Blade failed, and that was all in the same timeslot. Toei just got scared by the Pokemon variety programs stealing Riders' ratings and so pushed a lighter direction afterwards.

Boss Doggie

It's actually still aimed for kids. Shit like this ain't uncommon for toku.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Is there any reason to believe that Aesir won't translate Drive? They kept up with Gaim on a weekly basis.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Is there any reason to believe that Aesir won't translate Drive? They kept up with Gaim on a weekly basis.

Sure is.

Aesir won't be doing it because Over-Time has said they're doing it. The only reason Aesir did KR this year and not O-T is because Heat, O-T's translator, didn't like what he saw of Gaim before the debut. However he loves what he's seen of Drive (and the writing staff), so he's doing it.

Tizoc

I'm always too lazy to get into KR, but will consider starting with this.
I know someone recommended Gaim but am not in the mood of marathoning that and will try to join you guys while watching this series.
...but man a car? Ah well, KR is always cool so whatevs~

vareon

They're mostly made of the same staff, so if one is doing it the other don't see a reason to do the same.

I'm always too lazy to get into KR, but will consider starting with this.
I know someone recommended Gaim but am not in the mood of marathoning that and will try to join you guys while watching this series.
...but man a car? Ah well, KR is always cool so whatevs~

Everyone will recommend Gaim, but yeah you're free to watch at your own phase now. Come and join us in Drive, though! Discussing KR in TokuGAF is part of my tokusatsu life now.

WillyFive

Pictures and descriptions of the first episode:

drive101.png

drive0102.png

drive0103.png

Episode 1: Why My Time Has Stopped
Written by Riku Sanjo
Directed by Ryuta Tasaki
Action direction by Hirofumi Ishigaki
Effects direction by Hiroshi Wakita

A high number of attempted murders have taken place. At the same time, reports of decreased acceleration events, or “Thick Air” have arisen. Due to a certain case, the demotivated Special Cases Unit detective Shinnosuke finds a weird belt inside his car, Tridoron. The belt tells him to start taking things seriously. “What the hell?! The belt is attaching to myself!” Another incident takes place and Shinnosuke is dragged to the scene by the belt. And there, something incredible happens…

Stage On

I must be one of the odd one's out since I didn't like W very much and dropped it after a few episodes. In retrospect I don't know how I manged to watch all of Wizard since that was boring as the stupid plain sugar donuts he always insisted on eating

Not sure how I feel about Drive. I really hope it doesn't go back to monster of the week stuff after how darn good Gaim was. Having so many riders around was a pretty big plus too since it was always fun to watch them wail on each other.

yami4ct

They've gotten worse as time goes on. Their quality varies heavily series to series. I'm watching their Den-O subs right now, and they're pretty good. Some weird untranslated words here and there, but mostly complete.

Avoiding them when possible is probably good advice overall, though.

Cannot wait for Drive. So excited to see a rider have a car again after so long.

vareon

"A high number of attempted murders have taken place."

So nobody dies!

Probably doesn't matter anyway. We have a shitload of people die in Wizard's origin story and look how that went.

Tizoc

Everyone will recommend Gaim, but yeah you're free to watch at your own phase now. Come and join us in Drive, though! Discussing KR in TokuGAF is part of my tokusatsu life now.

Truth be told I did try to get into the current Period's KR series, but only made it a few episodes in and then forgot to catch up. The KR series I watched was really good too especially the non-KR scenes, but I forgot its name ^^ In the future I plan on watching KR starting from Kuuga (or should I skip that and go its successor?)
The one I watched had the protag dislike hot food.

EDIT: I was Faiz now that I think about it, really should catch up to that someday...

NeonZ

Bandai got scared out of multiple Rider show for years due to many of them failing in merchandising (Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Kiva). Gaim succeeded there, but failed to match the biggest two Rider series in merchandising (OOO and Fourze). So, I don't think it'll take as long as between Kabuto and Gaim for another show with a large number of Riders throughout the series, but it probably won't be a priority.

Hagi

Not a fan at all of the design to be honest or the micro cars gimmick. Big step back from what i saw of Gaim who managed to produce great suits from a fruit based concept which i still can't get over lol

I'll give it a watch though purely for the W team and the fact that W was the last Toku anything i was really into.

Is there a Toku OT? thats something i could get behind.

Tizoc

Apparently this isn't the first Kamen Rider series to feature a car for the protag, but whatevs a good fun show is all that matters.
Motorbikes are always better though

Not a fan at all of the design to be honest or the micro cars gimmick. Big step back from what i saw of Gaim who managed to produce great suits from a fruit based concept which i still can't get over lol

I'll give it a watch though purely for the W team and the fact that W was the last Toku anything i was really into.

Is there a Toku OT? thats something i could get behind.

Yes there is but uh I can't seem to find it atm...

NeonZ

Surprised, Wizard wasn't good, maybe the movie was good though?

Don't know about dollars, since there's unrelated fluctuations when you compare them through that, but it made ¥1,177,539,524. That's better than the Gaim movie, which is likely the lowest box office for a summer Rider movie (only ¥640,393,788 before disappearing from the top 10).

However, Wizard's summer movie still was, at its time, the lowest summer Rider box office since Kiva's. Of course, since around Fourze's summer movie, all Rider movies seem to have taken quite a hit. Fourze's summer movie was significantly lower than the previous 3 years, the Movie Wars and spring Hero/Rider Taisen features after Fourze's summer movie took a hit too (although the spring crossover movies are still doing better than Den-O's, which they're meant to replace).

Hagi

Apparently this isn't the first Kamen Rider series to feature a car for the protag, but whatevs a good fun show is all that matters.
Motorbikes are always better though

Yes there is but uh I can't seem to find it atm...

My search function is borked, I'm sure I'll come across it. Black RX had the Ridoron which was a talking car that could travel nearly 1000mph over land and sea.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Some magazine, Uchusen, has some more tidbits:

>Gaim was basically trial, some techniques will be brought over to Drive. They don't want to waste all the progress Gaim made.
>Drive will be breaking free from many Rider cliches
>There will be no giant CG monsters in Drive.
>They couldn't register a number plate for Tridoron. This means they aren't allowed to use it for filming on public roads. To overcome this they've been either driving on private property or using a truck to make it look like someone's driving it.

Lol the car really will be ditched after the halfway point, won't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom