• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

WillyFive

iOAMftuAGJvSc.png
i876Uumk6jZ3t.png

13431760025701.gif

tokugaf.png

Box of Bunnies said:
Tokusatsu is a Japanese term that means "special filming". As a genre it refers to pretty much any live-action production that makes extensive use of special effects. In the literal sense, anything from Wonder Woman to Doctor Who could be considered tokusatsu but, much like "anime", it is used colloquially in English to refer specifically to shows and movies of Japanese origin or adapted from them.

inYqs9DoORuvA.png

Kamen Rider Drive (Masked Rider Drive)

drivegaf.gif

From Riko Sanjo, the writer behind classics as Kamen Rider W, Fourze, and Kyoryuger; a show about a young detective who finds himself using the powers of an incredible car to stop monsters that can seemingly control time.

Visit the NeoGAF Kamen Rider Drive Official Thread

Where to watch:

Japan: 8 AM Sundays on TV Asahi.

Elsewhere: Fan subs provided by Over-Time​

Ressha Sentai ToQger (Train Squadron LimitedExpress-ger)

isWVRdRFmlunY.gif

From the creators of Samurai Sentai Shinkenger; the wonderful Rainbow Line is under attack by the evil Shadow Line to engulf the world in darkness; and it's up to five rangers to protect the tears of the people, with their massive trains!

Trailer

Where to watch:

Japan: 7:30 AM Sundays on TV Asahi. Premieres February 16th.

Elsewhere: Fan subs provided by Over-Time​

Kamen Rider Gaim (Masked Rider Armor)

ibl7LwgyK2xPYw.gif

From writer Gen Urobuchi; it's all juicy dance parties and fruits and games until you accidentally open a rift into an alternate dimension where monsters come out and attack you. Which Kamen Rider will survive?

Trailer

Where to watch:

Japan: 8 AM Sundays on TV Asahi. Episodes and movies available on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Elsewhere: Fan subs provided by Aesir​

Power Rangers Super Megaforce

iMUfEc4llTVli.gif

The 21st season of Power Rangers. After a massive alien invasion cripples the Earth, Gosei gives the Rangers the ability to morph into all the powers of the past Power Rangers. Past Rangers return to help too, I guess.

Trailer

Where to watch:

Premieres February 9th on Nick.com. Airs every Saturday at 12PM on Nick, rerun the following morning. Schedule may vary depending on your country. Episodes are available the following day on Nick.com and on Hulu.​

The Next Generation - Patlabor-

imf5g7dhnCJVy.gif

Crime is getting out of hand, the Tokyo Metropolitan Police unveils their new ace in the hole against them: Giant robots.

Teaser Trailer

Where to watch:

Japan: Premieres April 5.

Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger (Beast-Charge Squadron "People of the Strong Dragons")

ibs4QqZIbjp89L.gif

The 37th season of Super Sentai, five random strangers are chosen by the Wise God Torin to defend the Earth from the ancient Debosu Army that killed all the dinosaurs.

Trailer

Where to watch:

Japan: Every Sunday at 7:30 AM on TV Asahi, episodes and movies available on Blu-Ray and DVD. Finale airs February 9th.

Elsewhere: Fan subs provided by Over-Time and TV-Nihon.​

iO4hOkJJJ1kux.png

Kamen Rider Gaim and Wizard: The Fateful Sengoku Movie

424px-Gaim_%26_Wizard_the_movie.jpg

While the Armored Riders host their own battle royale in Zawame City; Wizard has to deal with a cannibalistic ogre that wants to set him to despair. Suddenly all out chaos erupts as an alternate dimension enters the mix and the Riders find themselves battling a new Sengoku. Directed by Ryuta Tasaki (Movie War Core)

Trailer

Kyoryuger vs. Go-Busters: The Great Dinosaur Battle and Goodbye to Eternal Friends

Kyoryu_vs_Go-Bus.jpg

The Go-Busters hunt down the Kyoryugers to help fight against Neo-Grifforzar (Zyuranger) and Neo-Geilton (Abaranger), who have brainwashed TyrannoRanger and AbaRed. What's worse, the profecy of the future death of Gabutyra puts pressure on KyoryuRed. Directed by Koichi Sakamoto (W: A to Z)

Trailer

Kamen Rider Taisen (Masked Rider War)

1390691001029.jpg

Featuring the return of Kamen Rider 1 and Kamen Rider X, the Showa Riders don't like the Heisei Riders and attempt to eradicate them. Will peace be found? Directed by Takayuki Shibasaki (Go-Busters vs. Gokaiger).

Trailer

Kyoryuger: 100 Years After

kyoryu100.jpg

The descendants of today's Kyoryugers must pick up the mantle and fight as Kyoryugers to save the Earth. Directed by Noboru Takemoto (199 Heroes)

Teaser Trailer

Godzilla

Godzilla2014Poster.jpg

Finally back after a decade of retirement; Godzilla returns in an all-new Hollywood movie, fighting both new creatures and humanity itself. Directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters).

Trailer

ixAl8prlO4uYz.png

KAMEN RIDER

Kamen Rider Fourze

Kamen Rider W

Kamen Rider Den-O

Kamen Rider Kabuto

Kamen Rider Blade

Kamen Rider Amazon

SUPER SENTAI

Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger

Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger

Samurai Sentai Shinkenger

Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger

Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger

Choujin Sentai Jetman

If you want a show more specific to your tastes, our fellow members in the TokuGAF community will be able to pick one made just for you, maybe even one not listed here!

Top 2013 Beat Riders:

igYHiLiIIOnnJ.PNG

gabutyra.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
All aboard the ToQger hype train! Which is an actual train this time.

vareon

Oh man, you really used ToQGAF lol.

I'd post Gaim impressions later, but I'm just here to say Takatora jumped pretty high on my favorite character list.

With a new OT I might as well give an update on what I've been watching:
- Episode 16 of Gaim was awesome as usual.
- I'm still waiting on subs to watch Kyoryuger 47.
- I'm 33 episodes into Kuuga right now. It's decent, if quite different from the other Kamen Rider shows I've seen.

alvmew

Neat! Love the title.

Gaim 16

I'm convinced Micchi saw Not!Mai marrying an alternate Kota, and so begins his mission to suffer.. I mean stop the wedding.

Or maybe it was the filming of Heisei v Showa: Misunderstandings the Movie (feat. ToQStrawberry and KyoryuRed). I'd join Yggdrasill to stop that too.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
According to an interview with the guy who's playing "Fifteen", the whole purpose of the new SHT was to avoid the "misunderstanding" element and have a clear fight between two sides with a winner

I'm sort of doubting they'll totally go through with that completely though, I still imagine Showa and Hesei will team up in the end.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
According to an interview with the guy who's playing "Fifteen", the whole purpose of the new SHT was to avoid the "misunderstanding" element and have a clear fight between two sides with a winner

I'm sort of doubting they'll totally go through with that completely though, I still imagine Showa and Hesei will team up in the end.

if thats the case, then showas gonna need a power boost. i guess nostalgia will work

Been interested in Toku for awhile but never jumped in and actually grabbed fansubs. It's a new year. This will be my year.

I'm in Toku-gaf.

I think Im going to mix both older and new at the same time. I'm currently grabbing Kamen Rider Wizard, Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger and Pirate Sentai Gokaiger
Gokaiger's a cool show as long as you don't mind the generic villains (with one or two exceptions).

Kyoryuger's been a lot of fun, even if it focuses on Daigo a bit too much sometimes, and I'll definitely miss it once it ends next week.

I haven't watched Wizard, but I haven't exactly heard many good things about it. It's worth trying out, but I'm not sure if that's the best way to get introduced to Kamen Rider.

Tenumi

Banned
Welcome to the fold! Last year was actually my first year for toku so I'm also a relative newbie. haha

This would be my third year for toku, but second year on GAF, so... yeah. But its so much fun opening a box full of plenty of variety.

I'm finishing up Kyoryuger, obviously. I plan on watching Tokyuuger/ToQger/TrainSentai.

On the Rider side of things, I'm still watching Gaim. Gonna watch W sometime, but not in the immediate future.

I'm thinking of watching either Liveman or Maskman after I finish Dairanger. Haven't decided which one yet.

NeonZ

if thats the case, then showas gonna need a power boost. i guess nostalgia will work

The Showa Riders likely will lose anyway since the point probably will be to show that the modern Riders can carry the title.

But, really, power up? Rider 1 and 2 survived a nuke at ground zero in V3.

KamenRiderV3ep02_01_zps12ca796c.jpg

The first 8 Riders together contain the explosion of a bomb that would destroy the entire atmosphere of the planet in Skyrider
KamenRider1979_ep54_01_zpsa895bdeb.jpg

And of course...
KamenRiderBlackRX_ep47_03_zpsca1e6e1f.jpg

In Black RX's finale, when he defeats the final enemy, the entire planet explodes, but one scene later he's back on Earth without any problems at all.

A detail these crossovers always seem to overlook too is that the Showa Riders, although not having "super" forms, aside from Stronger, generally constantly got power ups for their base form, up to the point of changing the base form itself in some cases. And, yet, all the crossovers seem to treat those base forms like they were something similar to the base form of the Heisei Riders, rather than their super forms. Some of the Showa Riders had power up modes anyway, just without changing the visual of their suits (Rider 1 in one of the later episodes of the original tv series had "Rider Power" which lighted up one light in his helmet and raised his power. One of V3's secret skills also pretty much was a power up, Amazon with both the Gigi and Gaga bracelets was another)...

Of course, either way, the crossovers with Showa Riders generally seem to completely ignore the Heisei final forms, and this one seems to be doing that again...

Oh yeah, what do you think did Micchy saw

Helheim is people? And maybe that part of Helheim shows the remains of a city assimilated into it, maybe alongside with some visible human parts?
KamenRiderGaim_ep_16_01_zpsdbc9f67c.jpg

Look at the white fruits in the background of that shot. They seem to have
human mouths
. I guess he's looking at a more obvious human/forest fusion. Maybe even something like a city assimilated into the forest. Or even their own city in an alternate Earth or timeline.

Also, in an unrelated note, Haruto is a lie:
KamenRiderWars_05_zpsb20d574e.jpg

The one scene which has shown Haruto, not just the Wizard suit, in Kamen Rider Taisen promotion is actually stock footage from Wizard. He hasn't appeared in any of the magazine scans so far too...

drizzle

Axel Hertz

A Pile of Corpses.

It was the only thing that crossed my mind that would make him freak out so much and immediately make him forgive everything Yggdrasil has been doing so far.

I have no idea how that would tie to the story in any way though, or whose corpses would they be.

Helheim is people? And maybe that part of Helheim shows the remains of a city assimilated into it, maybe alongside with some visible human parts?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/NeonZ/Kamen Rider/KamenRiderGaim_ep_16_01_zpsdbc9f67c.jpg
Look at the plants in the background of that shot. They seem to have
human mouths
. Maybe it's even some kind of alternate Earth overrun by the forest, and he saw something from their own city there.

Oh, a city that got destroyed before/that Yggdrasil didn't take under their protective umbrella. That's a good idea. I always wondered what happened to the other cities where Yggdrasil didn't take control of everything on the city - remember, they provide most of the jobs and everything to a city once they're established.

Edit: Also, why didn't Rat get infected with the plant growing disease? That was very strange.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Whatever it is we'll probably just find out next episode. As awesome and fucked up as a bunch of dead bodies is, I don't think that's it. Cause like it's still a kid's show and such.
Also, in an unrelated note, Haruto is a lie:
KamenRiderWars_05_zpsb20d574e.jpg

The one scene which has shown Haruto, not just the Wizard suit, in Kamen Rider Taisen promotion is actually stock footage from Wizard. He hasn't appeared in any of the magazine scans so far too...

Booooooo

This would be my third year for toku, but second year on GAF, so... yeah. But its so much fun opening a box full of plenty of variety.

I'm finishing up Kyoryuger, obviously. I plan on watching Tokyuuger/ToQger/TrainSentai.

On the Rider side of things, I'm still watching Gaim. Gonna watch W sometime, but not in the immediate future.

I'm thinking of watching either Liveman or Maskman after I finish Dairanger. Haven't decided which one yet.

Those are both amazing shows. I'd suggest watching Maskman now and waiting for Liveman's v2s.

Watch Da Birdie

Have to admit, I'm sort of burned out on Toku.

Last year, I got into it, and watched every Hesei Rider Series, and Dairanger/Gekiranger/Go-Onger/Go-Busters/Gaoranger. However, I tried watching a few Showa Riders, and Super Sentai, and just kept falling out of each show. I just can't really pay attention for 52-episodes, so I'm sort of taking a break. Just started watching Legends of Galactic Heroes, and I'm hooked.

However, I'm REALLY enjoying Gaim, and I plan to watch Tokkyuger weekly as well, the first Super Sentai I do it for. I really hope it's as fun a ride as Gaim's been. Also I've been enjoying watching Blade once more with NDA's subs, which are more or less weekly too.

Hopefully, after a few months, I'll be refreshed and ready to finish the various Showa Riders/Super Sentai I have on my backlog.

GManDH

Have to admit, I'm sort of burned out on Toku.

Last year, I got into it, and watched every Hesei Rider Series, and Dairanger/Gekiranger/Go-Onger/Go-Busters/Gaoranger. However, I tried watching a few Showa Riders, and Super Sentai, and just kept falling out of each show. I just can't really pay attention for 52-episodes, so I'm sort of taking a break. Just started watching Legends of Galactic Heroes, and I'm hooked.

However, I'm REALLY enjoying Gaim, and I plan to watch Tokkyuger weekly as well, the first Super Sentai I do it for. I really hope it's as fun a ride as Gaim's been. Also I've been enjoying watching Blade once more with NDA's subs, which are more or less weekly too.

Hopefully, after a few months, I'll be refreshed and ready to finish the various Showa Riders/Super Sentai I have on my backlog.

While I admire your dedication, i wouldnt be able to do that either. I enjoy watching Toku once a week. I will catch up eventually, but yea watching a bunch of seasons at once burns you out. Gaim is VERY entertaining. Hope more seasons are like this.

WillyFive

I haven't watched Wizard, but I haven't exactly heard many good things about it. It's worth trying out, but I'm not sure if that's the best way to get introduced to Kamen Rider.

It's not. Try a show like Fourze or W; or if you want to go farther back, give Den-O, Kabuto, or even Kuuga a try. You could even try an older Showa show like Black or Amazon.

But Wizard will just suck your heart out.

Nice job on the OP, Willy.

I really need to try and get my toku watching back up this year. I was loving the crap out of Kyroyu (as everyone else seems to have) but just kinda fell off months ago. Haven't even been keeping up with Gaim despite catching the first couple episodes.

Wanted to post in the thread just to say I'm following it.. this marks my 31st year of watching tokusatsu shows.. Started wth Dynaman and Sharivan and it kept going from there. Where does the time fly? :(

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, I saw a lot of people guess it's a ruined version of Zawame City.

Since Butcher's a fan of Ryuki,
I definitely think they're going for a "this has all happened before!" plot, except unlike Ryuki, the alternate time line wasn't erased.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The one thing that I always liked the most about the intro is how, at one time, Mai is sitting on the "mirror desk" and Kouta shows up to talk to her, but the reflected image shows Alternate Mai and Kaito, as if they were Light/Dark counterparts. There's also another part that Gaim is fighting some Samurai armors (that were before shown behind Zengetsu), and then later we get the same scene, but in the mirror floor, and it's Baron fighting them.

Also, I don't understand why the Beat Riders just don't research Hellheim a little more. Sure, Takatora usually goes after them when they show up, but I would investigate that forest a little more if I were them.

Also, I think Yggdrasil is just trying to prevent the same thing from happening to the dimension/alternate timeline/universe that we're watching. I'd say some of the Inves are just a byproduct of the research, but others are probably whoever was living in that version of the universe/that different city, and some of them were slipping through the cracks.

NeonZ

Regarding the idea of a destroyed Zawame City, rewatch the first scene of the series, from the prologue battle. It shows a ruined Yggdrazil tower surrounded by plants...

hat_hair

Also, I don't understand why the Beat Riders just don't research Hellheim a little more. Sure, Takatora usually goes after them when they show up, but I would investigate that forest a little more if I were them.

Most of the Riders are more concerned about their Dance rankings. But even then, how would you suggest they investigate? They don't have a lab staffed by elite scientists or anything.

vareon

On the topic of "WTF did Micchy see!?" I think I found an excellent article on that. The speculation inside is quite chilling.
http://risingsuntokusatsu.com/2014/02/03/kamen-rider-gaim-the-secret-of-the-forest/

While the ruined Zawame in Micchy's eyes is way reaching, I came into conclusion that Micchy & Takatora saw a ruined civilization, maybe a parallel Zawame city. To be honest it's the easiest explanation I can come up right now and it explains parallel Mai. I don't think Micchy saw a pile of dead bodies anyway since kid's show and all that, but maybe people turned into forest.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
While the ruined Zawame in Micchy's eyes is way reaching, I came into conclusion that Micchy & Takatora saw a ruined civilization, maybe a parallel Zawame city. To be honest it's the easiest explanation I can come up right now and it explains parallel Mai. I don't think Micchy saw a pile of dead bodies anyway since kid's show and all that, but maybe people turned into forest.

I was thinking maybe just a mass grave. Maybe he saw himself and the rest of the town in it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Most of the Riders are more concerned about their Dance rankings. But even then, how would you suggest they investigate? They don't have a lab staffed by elite scientists or anything.

They have bikes, they can warp around. Just search the fores for anything of interest. It can't *just* be a forest.

I was thinking maybe just a mass grave. Maybe he saw himself and the rest of the town in it.

Like I said earlier, a pile of bodies is the only thing that I could imagine, but a ruined city is much more likely: It's not as gruesome as a pile of bodies and gives the same image: If the city is in ruins, it means everybody in the city probably died (or got assimilated, or turned into Inves).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I can't believe Kyoryuger is almost over. Next week is going to get wild.

Top Bottom